“Too pricey, but decent place to stay”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I were in town for our anniversary and we stayed the whole weekend. Neither of us were happy about having to pay the $11 for parking each day since we were already paying over $200 a night w/ tax. It was nice that we were able to have an unlimited amount of free drinks at the evening reception so that helped with the price issue. We normally don't stay at hotels this expensive so we were expecting it to be luxury. The room was a smoking, 2- room king suite on the third floor. When we got there, we could only find one remote for both the TVs, which really wasn't a big deal since it worked on both. We didn't want to bother the staff as they were pretty busy, but let them know when we checked out. The room could definitely use some updating. The door that separates the bedroom and the living room looked like someone had punched a hole in it and it had a quick fix job done to it. The decor was a little outdated. The carpet had cigarette burns everywhere, and no ashtrays which I found a little odd for a smoking room. The counters all needed to be wiped down and the shower wasn't the cleanest. When the housekeeper came around on Saturday, I asked her for an ashtray, toilet paper, and soap. She was a Hispanic lady that only spoke a small amount of English. After trying to explain for ten minutes what it was I was asking for, I was able to get the toilet paper and soap, but she said there were no ashtrays so we used an empty can the whole time since the door to the balcony was sealed shut. The best part about the room was definitely the bed. It was very comfortable. The staff were all nice and polite, though one stood out from the rest. The bartender, Jeff, was awesome! He went above and beyond to make sure everyone was taken care of, on top of being extremely fast. More people should have his attitude and handle the general public in the professional, yet friendly manner he did. The breakfast was absolutely amazing! Probably the best breakfast I have ever had in a hotel! They had made-to-order omelets at no extra charge with many different choices of ingredients. The chefs were very fast and the taste of the food was perfect! There was also a buffet with so many other choices of breakfast items. You are definitely better off going to breakfast early rather than later as it gets really busy. There are three elevators, but they are always busy and take a long time. The pool was really nice with adult swim time between 10 and 12. The location of the hotel gave me mixed feelings. It was very close to shopping which was a plus, but it was also beside a hospital which was on the same side as our room. Overall, the hotel was decent, but I doubt if I would stay again unless the price was lowered about $70.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cacia F
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Good Morning

A belated happy anniversary to you and your husband! Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay with us. I apologize for the shortcomings you found with our housekeeping and the condition of your suite. The lack of an ashtray was unacceptable and there was no excuse not to get two ashtrays to your suite during your stay. I was happy to see that you found the Cooked to order breakfast and Jeff the bartender to your liking. I will take great pleasure sharing your comments with Jeff and the morning breakfast staff. Thanks again for your kind words and for taking the time to share your stay on Trip Advisor

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,903)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Since the hotel has about 30 smoking rooms, 2 of which our family unfortunately got assigned, people smoke all over the property. The smell of cigarette smoke was horrible, and the vibe just sank with the stench. It boggles my mind that any hotel in the US (if not elsewhere) would allow any smoking anywhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Good afternoon Keith B

Thank you for staying with us visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. However, I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had experienced with the smoking rooms we offer. There are still guests who want these suites. Shame on whatever reservation service that you went through for not clearly stating that you were booking a smoking suite. Again, thank you for staying with us and I apologize for the sour taste this has left you with.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Though it was a bit pricey, the room was great! Very clean, very comfortable and roomy. The kids loved the pool! The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was wonderful! We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Good afternoon Kristen B

What a great way to motivate our team members by sharing your comments of your recent stay with us. Our staffs are truly concerned about your overall satisfaction and want to make sure that they can exceed them as well. I was also happy that you found the Hotel and the amenities to your liking and you took advantage of these during your stay. Thanks again for your kind words, and for taking the time to share your stay on Trip Advisor

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is the worst Embassy Suites I have been in, and I have stayed in them all over the country. First, I arrived and they put me in a smoking room, when I had a confirmed nonsmoking room. They had a convention in town, so they shafted those of us that weren't staying there for the convention.

The room was filthy, had cigarette burns on the furniture, floor, and bathtub. It stunk something awful. The carpet was stained all over, the desk was sticky, and the doors had dents in them from previous angry guests. Unreal.

In the breakfast area - the tables are all worn, shoddy, and sticky from not being cleaned up well.

Room service was fair - the food is good from the restaurant, timely, and typical pricing. They did screw up minor things on my orders... like forgetting ketchup for fries, forgetting water that was requested, etc.

This one needs an upgrade, and new management - ASAP.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is smoking. It stinks. Avoid it at all costs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TheKevinHolman
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Good evening Mr. Holman

Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for the shortcomings you found with your stay. I researched your reservation and found that unfortunately you were originally booked into a smoking room with requests and comments for a non-smoking room. The city was full due to several events in the city and surrounding areas. We did attempt to move guests but could not find any guests who preferred a smoking room over a non-smoking suite. I attempted to contact the travel agency where your reservation was booked to review this with them as well. They should have alerted you to the fact that you were booked into a suite which was the opposite of your preferences. You Hhonors status clearly show that you first two preferences are for a king and a non-smoking suite. I will also review your disappointments with Breakfast and Room service and Housekeeping leaders as well.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We were in Kansas City for a football game. The staff were extremely nice. The breakfast was wonderful. Slight hiccup with valet that management took care of right away. The rooms were spacious but the bathroom was a little cramped. The living room was great for having friends visit us while we were there and the bedroom was practically perfect. Downside on cleanliness.....I had dropped my phone and it had slid just under the bed. When I had reached down to pick it up I came up with a sex toy instead of my phone. Yuck was an understatement. So a bit more diligence on cleanliness is a must. Overall a nice stay with valet parking, large rooms...we smoke so a smoking room is a bonus for us, free drinks in the evenings, great breakfast, fabulous pool, and a friendly staff. Need to work on cleaning for sure.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello DeeAnn S

Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for the issues you described and was happy to see that our desk staff was able to assist with the valet challenges quickly. I also apologize for the housekeeping issues you described and will review with the Housekeeping leaders and staff.
This is a very serious issue and we will thoroughly inspect the suite you stayed in. I will follow up with you once this is completed. Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel is great for the price. Nice sized rooms, fairly clean, great breakfast, and the unlimited complimentary drinks in the evening is a great added bonus! Bed and living area furniture is very comfortable, which is great for spending time in the room. The only downfalls I saw in the room was that my carpet was very stained with what looked like kool-aid, and the balconies DO NOT open up as the website suggests. I've stayed at other plaza area hotels in this price range, and this hotel was twice as good as those! This was a special occasion (proposed to my fiance down at the plaza), so I decided to take advantage of the standby upgrade available to make the night an little more special, but now wish I wouldn't have wasted my money. I chose to do the "View of Westport Neighboorhood" option, which I was charged for, but do not feel like I got anything for it. Our room was on the 3rd floor, and our view was of the parking lot, trees lining the property, and a neighboring hotel, so not sure what I payed for. On a bonus note, one of the workers Taylor (who knew I was proposing), did surprise us by having a basket of goodies waiting at room when we checked in!

Room Tip: Do not waste money on the upgrade options!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Good afternoon Sean P

First of all, Congratulations on your recent proposal! We wish you the best and I hope you enjoy the wedding planning adventure you are to begin. Thanks for your comments about the upgrades and Please note that we have are addressing the balcony issue you mentioned as well. I will pass on your comments about Taylor and as I am sure she will be happy to see the effect she had on your stay. I will also discuss the carpet issue with our Housekeepers as well. Thanks again for staying with us

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We really appreciated the help we recieved from the staff when our plans failed due to weather. Recieved an omelet for breakfast at no extra charge besided a tip. Plenty of towels in swimming area. Was able to have a drink without leaving the room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Good afternoon Miranda
I was happy to see that our staff stepped in to assist with your travel plan challenges. Traveling is stressful and I am fortunate to have a staff that is eager to assist with the challenges you can encounter. I was happy to see that you enjoyed the full cooked to order breakfast and evening reception. Thanks again for your kind words about and for taking the time to share your stay on Trip Advisor and I hope your future travel plans bring you back to Kansas City in the future.