Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #37 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 3 September 2014

It was an enjoyable stay and the room was very comfortable. It was worth the stay, and the location was near walking distance to many food/entertainment locations. I would recommended this hotel to any one traveling to Kansas City.

1  Thank Paul B
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Good morning Paul B

A great way to finish a great cup of coffee was to review you comments of your recent stay with us. I was happy to see that you found value in the two-room suite, evening reception, and breakfast that was included in your stay. Thanks again for your patronage and I hope future business brings you back to Kansas City and our hotel.

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Vanessa, front desk, was extremely outstanding during the check-in and throughout my entire stay. She has intuitive people sense, empathy, and genuineness that exceed the typical cheerfulness. With a natural kindness, graciousness, humor, and joie de vivre, she quietly made me feel comfortable and important (this was expressed in her words, smiles, and body language). I felt more important than the computer because of her immediate and direct eye contact and hospitable greeting (including her remembering my name from my previous stays). She sincerely inquire as to how my stay was going and ask if there was anything she could do to make my stay more pleasant. Marielos, housekeeping, was extremely observant when cleaning my room. She cast a wide net for cleaning -- including under the bed and behind the chairs. She followed the Hilton eco-conscious programs (e.g. followed my "don't launder" wishes). Each of the following staff members was very personal and professional: This hotel has great staff including Taylor (front desk), Marisa (front desk), Austin, Sean (Valet), Shawn (dining room staff member), Laura (bartender), Male bartender for manager reception (he and wife are expecting first child) and both cooks. Also, the morning staff set the tone. I want Hilton to know this hotel has a lot of superstars. Because of the staff; I stayed here and drove an extra 45 minutes per day to my meetings.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank You for the kind words about our team. They are a valuable asset to us as well as a delight to work with. I wish you could have seen their faces light up when I reviewed this with them. Thanks for staying with us 7 I hope your future travels bring you back to Kansas City

Reviewed 2 September 2014

This was my 2nd time staying at this hotel for business and it was another great experience. The staff was wonderful, especially the breakfast staff. Front desk was very helpful! Loved the shuttle to and from UMKC for my training! Overall this hotel gets an A+ from me! Will definitely be back!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Good Morning Ms. Nikkii R

Thank you for the pleasure of a return stay with us. Staffs were happy to see that their efforts earned a return visit back to our Hotel. This is always a great way to fire up our staff by reviewing what their hard work and efforts produced. Thanks again for staying with us and for your kind words about our hotel and staff.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Unexpectedly needed a room for the night and went to the front desk to ask about a room with two double beds. The gentleman who was "helping" me seemed more interested in something on his cellphone than in helping me and quickly told me they were booked for the night. So I hopped online on my phone and booked a room from the hotel's website. Returned to the desk not 5 minutes later and was helped by a very helpful and cheerful young lady. Throughout the stay, it became apparent that the hotel was understaffed which resulted in longer wait times for service than would otherwise be expected. Everybody but the gentleman I initially dealt with had a great attitude and were extremely helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for the shortcomings you found with your overall stay. From the tone of your survey I apologize for the frustration this stay has caused you. If I was the gentleman that upset you at check in I apologize. I will review your comments with our staff as it was not a good showing to our guests last weekend. Again I apologize for the disappointments during your stay you had with us and thank you also for your patronage of our Hotel.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

We enjoyed the free candy and drink machine access, along with a complimentary breakfast omlet made to our liking and then plenty of other breakfast items. Our only complaint was that our room never got cool enough until early in the morning, and although it said the 12th floor was newly remodeled, it still seemed dated. We like having a separate bathroom area apart from the bed, but this deluxe suite had the sink in the bedroom area. I wake up early, and was able to shut the door to the separate TV room and use the kitchen sink to wash up.

Good Morning F7608MZdanielw

Thank you for staying with us. I was happy to see that you took advantage of the amenities of the premium floor. I apologize for the Air conditioning or lack of it that you had to endure last weekend, please note I will share this negative part of your stay with our engineering & housekeeping staff. Thanks again for your patronage of our hotel.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

The hotel seems nice and spacious at first. We liked our room when we first checked in. However, the smell of mold and mildew almost overpowered both of us. Our friends in another room mentioned the same thing. After leaving the hotel, our bags, any clothing in the bags, and shoes and personal effects reeked! My wife has bad allergies and by the time we left, she could hardly breathe. Also, the air conditioner in the rooms runs constantly, and never seems to get very cool. It is extremely noisy and rattly, and our friend's room was the same way. I wanted to like this hotel, but these things will probably prevent me from booking here again. To give credit where credit is due, the complimentary breakfast was one of the best I've had in a hotel. However, there was no order and it was a gigantic people mess. The reception from 5:30 - 7:30 was fun, and probably the best part about the stay.

Good Morning Sean M

Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for the issues that caused you to have a less than acceptable stay. I will share your disappointments with our engineering and Housekeeping staff concerning the air conditioning and unpleasant odors you found. I was happy to see that you did enjoy the evening reception and breakfast. Again I apologize for the disappointments during your stay you had with us and thank you also for your patronage of our Hotel.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

The rooms are very spacious. The beds are comfortable. The "living room" was very dark as it faces the atrium. As others have mentioned, the cleaning solution leaves a strong smell in the room. The breakfast buffet was delicious with many different choices. The evening reception was just OK. Snacks were usually just chips and salsa and drinks were very small. The only problem was at lunch, when it took up to an hour to get a sandwich. The shuttle service was great and the drivers all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Good Morning Barb125

Thank you for sharing the review of your stay with us. I remember the frustration of you and others on that Saturday when the Restaurant did not perform. I could not leave my position to assist but wanted to very badly as it was not a good reflection of the Hotel. Thank You for staying with us and the group you were associated with are a class act. I am sure we did but wanted to also thank you or your partner for their military service.