“Weekend at the Races”

Ranked #69 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Appleton City, Missouri
“Weekend at the Races”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Overall it was a decent experience. Main complaint would be they did not have enough hot water. Ran out both mornings while showering. Location is great for the airport and not too bad for going to Kansas Speedway. Rates were very reasonable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and son are staying here overnight and not good. The first thing my husband said when I asked how things were going was "we may need penicillin shots after staying here." Not a good first impression! On arrival, the desk clerk tried to tell my husband that two rooms were booked and he needed to pay for both. He even continued to argue after my husband showed him our confirmation print out. Finally, after paying for 1 room, the boys headed to their room and were greeted with an unpleasant mildew smell that they assume comes from the leak that goes from the shower area to carpet. A shower that didn't work well, I might add. The tv has several channels that are fuzzy and no guide as to what you're watching. Needless, to say they won't be staying again and will not even attempt to brave the breakfast in the morning. All I can say is this Super 8 better be glad he's staying and not me, because I would've been demanding a refund and moving on!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I checked in around 10 p.m. and there was 1 room left that was smoking but I thought I booked a non smoking room but I didn't. The night attendant talked down to me and my wife like we were dogs. He threaten to give the room away to some one else if we didn't want it with out us even saying anything to him or complaining. I don't believe in playing the race card but this guy acted in such a way toward us, what else would you think. I took al of my strength not to reach behind the counter and pull him over it. The room was OK after we fabreezed the heck out of it to get rid of the cigarette smell. For us stay there again is if this guy is not working there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We arrived past 11pm at check in and were a little worried at first by the desk clerk.
He was dressed as if he were a maintenance worker and my boyfriend figured out he was the driver for the shuttle van to and from the airport so he must have been filling in for the front desk as well. Despite his appearance - he was polite and knew the job well...got us checked in quickly and we were on our way to our room.
After spending 18 hours on the road we were exhausted and when we opened the door to our room it may as well have been the Taj Mahal because based on the reviews we were expecting a good value but this was even better than we expected.
The room was very well kept and had been updated...the four most important elements to us were there tenfold: CLEAN, QUIET, COMFORTABLE, and EVERYTHING IN WORKING ORDER.
Keep in mind that we consider our reviews realistic and by that we mean - we understand that in life you get what you pay for ....so if you are a traveler that can afford to spend $120 at a hotel on a regular basis ...then don't come to this hotel expecting to get the same thing.
We did take issue with two small matters...1) The hair dryer in the hotel looked to be an 80's model and I finally gave up on after spending ten minutes just getting my bangs dried.
This usually isn't an issue for me as I normally bring along my own hair dryer just because I prefer it - of course Murphy's Law ..the one time I thought to myself it was silly because there is always one in the room.
2) The breakfast selection was....well...great if you like carbs. All they had were waffle batter, bread for toast, jelly, cereals, oatmeal and two yogurts in the fridge.
We opted out....and found a Hyvee so we could get some fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs and greek yogurt... as some of us can't afford to carb and processed sugar load.
We do still feel over all this is an excellent value for the price - even discounting the no go breakfast for us...the biggest issue would be the hairdryer - and we did not ask the hotel staff to make it right as we just didn't have time and needed to hit the road.
We would stay here again.
Also this is a MOTEL with exterior doors to your room so if you are not fond of those style hotels - keep that in mind. It was not a problem for us.
We had a great night sleep.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple