“Not so much....”

Quality Inn Kansas City I-435N Near Sports Complex
Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
“Not so much....”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Stayed with two teen girls for a concert. When I called, I was given one rate of $59. When I arrive, she asks for (after tax) $97! I quickly had that adjusted....

The outside of the hotel is in a bit of disrepair... Missing air conditioner grates, huge potholes in lot, orange construction plastic fencing around pool, "Danger" tape around the hot tub, and the coup de gras: the lady taking care of the breakfast area mentioned to me that management recently changed, majority of staff walked off, and OSHA came the day we arrives and shut their ovens down!! Oh, and when we asked for more toilet paper to be brought to the room, we were told there is ONE more roll for the ENTIRE hotel and the roll is first come, first serve at the front desk.

The staff was overall friendly enough, but the hotel just had a dingy feel and appearance. I definitely will not stay here again, and the event which I attended on Saturday night has a negotiated rate with them, of course, under the OLD management. I will be suggesting alternative hotels for future endeavors.

The TV and phone were broken, but still worked. The breakfast was (including biscuits!) completely microwaved (thank you, OSHA) beds were relatively fine, shower walls and tub felt a little slimy (could have been soap residue, as soap is basic and slippery, but idk...) spider in the bathroom, air conditioner had some type of food shoved in the grate inside the room, and curtains were duct taped.

I think that's the jist of it....

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank 4DsAndAnE
qualityinnkansascity, Webmaster at Quality Inn Kansas City I-435N Near Sports Complex, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for commenting about our Kansas City hotel. We have recently thoroughly cleaned the property and have repaired the problems you mentioned. Your arrival did, in fact, come during a time of transition and we are working every day to make this property better than ever before. We look forward to having the pleasure of your company again the next time you visit the area so we can show you how we’ve changed. Again, we sincerely apologize for missing the mark during your stay.

Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed there for two nights in mid-June. Just a few of the things we noticed:

--Large bucket in the lobby area catching water drips from a huge brown spot on the ceiling ... the bucket stayed there the whole time we were there
--People were frequently passed out/sleeping on the couches and chairs in the lobby area
--Hallways didn't seem to be air-conditioned ... EXTREMELY muggy and humid (and smelly) in the hallways
--Wireless rarely worked
--Toilet in our room never stopped running and was sometimes difficult to flush
--Tub/shower looked extremely dirty
--Air-conditioning unit wasn't in the wall properly ... it was tilted sideways, and you could see straight outside through a gap along the top of the air-conditioner
--Killed three spiders in the room (probably coming in through the gap in the AC system)
--Fire doors were always propped open
--Carts to use for luggage, but no way to get them upstairs (no elevator)
--Very loud at night ... heard doors slamming and people yelling constantly
--Room smoke detector didn't have batteries in it (the battery compartment was open, and there was nothing inside)
--Flies buzzing around the breakfast area (gnats in the bread containers as well)
--Shuttle requires you to pay roundtrip fare in advance ... we ended up waiting over an hour for the shuttle to pick us up after we called for a ride back (we were less than 10 minutes' driving distance from the hotel at the time), and couldn't take a cab instead because we had already paid for the shuttle ride back to the hotel
--Orange snow fence was wrapped around the entire swimming pool area (not sure what that was about)

Not impressed with this hotel at all, and was more than ready to leave after the second night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LG12345678
Dear guest,

I’m very sorry that our property missed the mark during your recent stay. We have been working to improve a number of issues that developed during previous ownership and have now solve the problems you mentioned. Our goal is to make the property cleaner, nicer and generally better every day. I hope you’ll give us another try soon. Again, all I can do is apologize that you visited when we were not at our best.

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for almost a week due to employment changes. Breakfast was very good each morning. The rooms were clean but bathrooms needed some help. Had some mold in some areas. Was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The smells in the hall ways is what got to me. Don't know if when we stayed there was a dog show in town but the smell of wet dog over powered the halls on the first floor. The second floor was over powered by illegal drugs. As someone else told me skunk weed. The neighborhood is more like a trucking industrial area. Located next to I-435 traffic was quiet noisy. As well as the train yard on the other side. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful until the night staff came in then not so much.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank jennhornak
Dear guest,

Thanks for staying a week with us and for noting our friendly staff. We take pride in the quality of our people. Since your stay we have taken a number of actions to improve the property, and I hope you will be able to visit us again and see how we’ve changed. Our goal is to provide service to every customer that exceeds expectations, and it seems the quality of our property sometimes missed the mark during your stay. For that we apologize.

Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

I have read a number of positive and negative reviews, and perhaps case-by-case their stays were mixed but I must say that overall it is a nice place. It is definitely out-of-the-way and on a dead end street, and the hotel is older but the staff is friendly and my room was clean. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel you will pay a 5 star price. I think the value to price ratio is quite fair here. Deserves a three star.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I was booked at this location and once I found it, (it is very out of the way on a dead end street) I was a bit worried just looking at the property. At first I was convinced it was an old apartment complex that was converted into a hotel but was told that was wrong.

The lobby is clean and the front desk staff were friendly. I was given a King bed room and was pleasantly surprised and how large the room was. For me the essentials, the bed was conformable, the room was quite, the Heating/AC worked perfectly, felt safe in and around the hotel and the free WiFi was very speedy, all helped give me a good impression of this property. The morning breakfast was a completely shock as there was hot and fresh biscuits and gravy, eggs, sausages, along with more basically Continental foods, bagels, cereal etc.

Just a few minor negatives, the room wasn't as spotless as it could have been but nothing that was worthy of complaint. The shower water pressure was a tad low and also for some strange reason I found the bathtub surface to be very slippery. I held on to the railing the entire shower.

There is a pool and Jacuzzi in the center of the complex but I believe it was closed for the winter.

They even have a shuttle which will take you almost anywhere you want to go for a VERY small fee, much less than a taxi.

The hotel rate was amazingly good and worth the value.

While by no means a 4-Star hotel I would recommend this place if you're on a budget but still want a nice, comfortable place to stay, near the freeway and fast food restaurants. I will stay here again if I find myself in Kansas City.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ReallyRick
CH2171, General Manager at Quality Inn Kansas City I-435N Near Sports Complex, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Thank you so much for seeing our place as we do.. While it clearly isn't a 4star hotel.. we try our very best to make it a comfortable and pleasant place to stay...
As for the room not being as clean as you would have liked... I really apologize for that, and we are working on getting a different skid resistant placed in our tubs...
It is a lot of work to keep a place going..as large as this.. but with the helpful comments, it makes it easier to make sure we are applying our efforts in making Country Hearth as safe and clean for our guests as possible.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Well unexpectedly my company placed me and my wife in a hotel due to health issues. And upset at the conditions of my stay I was received with kindness and happy faces at this Hotel, everything from the moment I stepped foot in to the lobby was nothing but outstanding service. Well that also changed my overall mood and decided to make the best of it; room was more then adequate for our stay breakfast in the morning was delicious and staff again was most kind and attentive to are needs. I truly am big on customer service so I decided to express my feeling towards this wonderful stay at this Hotel and would truly recommend this to anyone wanting this service specially for the price. A special thanks to Christy Woods General Manager for and excellent experience there and for your attentive staff.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review... I do hope we see you back.. and hopefully under different circumstances... very fortunate we are to have guests like yourself!!
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Rooms have dust and dirt in the air. The rooms are stuffy, confined and way too small for the beds and aren't any bigger if you pay for an extra bed. Our stay was horrible and I wish I had gone somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Avidadventure
Dear guest,

Thanks for your comments. A lot has changed at this Kansas City, MO motel since your stay with us. We have refreshed, cleaned and improved the property in many ways and have new housekeeping staff that’s better-trained than ever. You’ll find a completely different experience if you stay with us again. We’re sorry we missed the mark during your stay. All we can do is apologize and promise that the issues you point out have been addressed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
#4 of 4 in North Kansas City
Candlewood Suites Northeast
Candlewood Suites Northeast
#54 of 109 in Kansas City

Been to Quality Inn Kansas City I-435N Near Sports Complex? Share your experiences!