“816 hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Fargo, North Dakota
“816 hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The rooms were a bit dated. Ours did not have a fridge or microwave, there also was no pool. The ice machine on our floor did not work.
There were free newspapers, as well as breakfast...including made to order omelets. And the staff was absolutely terrific. They were always cheerful and very helpful.

Room Tip: A friend with a king size bed had a fridge in their room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
aliceg, Guest Relations Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Maria Lyn, thanks for your stay and comments. The mini-fridge has been a guest comment we have paid attention to and will be adding them to the rest of our guest rooms. Please be sure to use our repeat guest rate when you return...it is the best we have to offer. Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here while driving through Kansas City. The staff was extremely friendly. The website states they will beat any lower price you find online. They quoted $139 for the night. Expedia said $83. The hotel gave it to us for $81. The hotel was packed due to a wedding (or two), but that did not stop the staff from being helpful. The hotel lobby is quite small, and the hotel rooms seem old. Also, it is located in a nice little neighborhood just minutes from downtown. I would love to visit again.

I would rate the rooms 3 for average, but rating the hotel 4 because of the great staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your stay. Summer is about to end and our business will decrease a tad so we can get back into guest rooms and keep improving them. Please come back and see the improvements. Take care.
Joplin, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I always go anywhere new several times before offering my opinion because anything can happen once but twice, not likely. The first stay at the 816 Hotel was during opening weekend when things could have been crazy. It was not. The welcome was first class and it only got better from there. Then the personally made omelet was perfect and the only the finish of a great breakfast.
The second visit, I was greeted by name and stayed in one of the theme rooms. Now I have been in hotel rooms all over the world and have never been so impressed. I just stood in the middle of the room, turning in a circle taking in every detail. Wow! Just could not believe results of a unique idea.
The 816 is a tribute to Kansas City and should not be missed. The location is ideal. The service is as good as it gets and will always be my first choice when I stay in Kansas City.

Allan Bopp

p.s. At breakfast before I left the cook remembered me by name and what kind of omelet she had made for me the first time. Now that is SERVICE.

Room Tip: Ask for a theme room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Allan B
aliceg, Front Office Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Allan, thanks for your visit and kind note. Our staff tries its best and we hope they can deliver to others, the level of service your experienced. Please us our repeat guest rate for your next trip here...it will save you some dough. Take care.
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I recently arrived at this hotel for our anniversary. We had read reviews and figured this would be a different type of experience. Upon arriving at the hotel, it wasn't as expected. It looks very much different in the afternoon, than at night. However, we were quickly greeted by a gracious staff. Before I continue, I want to make one thing clear. I have been to numerous hotels, both high-end and low-end. Never in any state, have I experienced the type of customer service as this hotel. The front desk employees were nice, the shuttle driver was amazing, and the bartender was top notch. They have unmatched customer satisfaction. Getting back to my review, I liked how the lobby had a new decor feel. The elevators looked re-done as well. My not-so-sure feeling turned to anticipation. When we entered our room, it was fairly small. I guess we booked a Business King, which I'm assuming is lower than the other theme rooms. This could be due to the high volume of reservations when I booked it. I immediately took notice that there was no fridge or microwave. I had never been in a room without those, so it was a slight drawback. The bed itself was immaculate, I loved the feeling of soft sheets. There were some weird spots on the comforter. The curtains were rather dirty, but I kept them shut 98% of the time. When it came time for the bathroom, this is where I was very disappointed.The bathroom, in my opinion was the most out-dated. The bathtub had extremely LOW pressure, I could barely get the shampoo out of my hair. It was also very small, something I was slightly taken aback by. The toilet ran very slow.. I did like the fact that they had Tommy Bahamas toiletries, they smelled nice. Besides the remarkable staff, the managers reception is also a perk. They make very good drinks and you are allowed two per guest. Another major perk is the shuttle, they will take you within 3-4 miles of the hotel. We were dropped off at the Country Club Plaza and picked up very promptly. In the morning, we ate their free breakfast. It wasn't much as far as breakfast goes. I would have liked biscuits and gravy or something of the sort. It was mostly bread products and cereal. They did have a woman make omelets, which were good. The woman herself was a bit off-putting. It was obvious she was overwhelmed. After all is said and done, the million dollar question is, would I return? The answer is. . . yes. The customer service makes up for the out-dated room. The bed itself is very comfortable, that's all that really matters. The managers reception is a great bonus. The shuttle is very convenient and they are within walking distance to many many places. If you want to try something different, that isn't a "high-class" atmosphere, come here. It is a hotel that is for all types of people.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissChelleBelle
aliceg, Guest Relations Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I truly enjoyed reading your review and I shared it with our entire staff. While the bricks and mortar are often out of the control of owners/operators, the ONE item that is completely in our control is service. I am very pleased you were very pleased in the great employees we have been fortunate to get to join our efforts.

As for the bricks and mortar, the building is about to turn 30 and while she holds her age well, she is, well almost 30. In addition, we scrambled to finish the launch of the 816 by our advertised Grand Opening date of May 22. For better or worse, since May 22, we have been one of the busiest hotels in Kansas City. I say 'for better or worse' because while the bankers like the business we have been blessed with, our guest rooms take a beating and the high occupancy limits our ability to get into rooms and make simple improvements. Now that summer is about over, our occupancy levels begin to level off and our in-room maintenance efforts start in full.

We appreciate your vote of confidence and truly hope you come back soon to see the improvements. BTW---please be sure to use out Repeat Guest Rate when you return...it is our lowest.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Best hotel hands down! Great area and staff. Rooms are affordable and the themes are a huge win!I have stayed here for business and pleasure and am always pleased. Donald Ray goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is relaxing and your needs are met. Not only does he treat guest with the up most respect, but his staff as well. Because of this, 816 Hotel has been my #1 referral and will continue to be.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank TJ83
aliceg, Guest Relations Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thanks for the feedback. Donald Ray not only carries the title of Chief Ambassador of the 816, he should have the title of Chief Ambassador of Kansas City! Nobody loves customer service like him and his love for the City allows those that have the pleasure of meeting him experience the very best at the hotel and in town. When people say 'it all starts at the top' the 816 and Donald are a testament to this. Take care.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Excellent service and very clean! Location is great to see many local hot spots! Comfortable rooms, great breakfast and happy hour! Shuttle service is available, and they are willing to do anything to make your stay a great one!

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the kind note. Please be sure to call us before your next visit and take advantage of our repeat guest rate...the lowest we have! Cheers.
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went to KC for a Royals game and night out. We stayed at the 816 Hotel in Westport and had a great time. The rooms are all different and have their own theme. The hotel itself is located in a very convenient location to nightlife and only about 15 min from the baseball stadium via some direct routes rather than the interstate.
The one issue we had was the omelet buffet on Sunday morning. They could use a little more staff help and organization. Unfortunately everyone tries to order something different and that screws it all up. If they would just give out the same omelet and then allow the guests to put top dressings on the omelets themselves this would speed up the process greatly.. But overall it was a great trip and great accommodations- other than the Royals losing, I would do it again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Nick, you must be a good omen for the Royals because they have won 5 in a row since you posted this review!!! Your observation and idea regarding omelettes at breakfast are excellent. We have already held a meeting regarding it and hope to test your idea next weekend. Guess feedback keeps us improving...thanks again!