“Almost Great”

Ranked #21 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
St Paul
“Almost Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The 816 has a lot going for it. They've turned a drab Holiday Inn Express into a pretty stylish place with groovy lobby furnishings and wall murals. The 816 is currently the only hotel in Westport proper, and by far the most reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of the Plaza. Their happy hour is great, as are the made-to-order omelets in the morning. The staff is top notch (especially Sophia at the front desk, who totally rocks) and the prepaid online rate for our room with two beds was only $111. However, I agree with the previous reviewers that the "updating" has a long way to go. We had a standard room without a theme, and although the beds were comfortable, the carpeting and bathroom were a little dingy. Also, Holiday Inn Express rooms have refrigerators so why didn't they just leave them in? Oh well, we will definitely stay here again anyway because the location, value, and service can't be beat!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's as far away from the ice machine as possible.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank StPaulKerry
aliceg, Guest Relations Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thanks for the note Kerry. The mini-fridge comment has not gone unnoticed. Currently about 1/3rd of our rooms have them but we are making plans to add more. Thanks for the feedback. We hope to see you again soon and pleasure use our repeat guest rate (via calling us) to make sure you get the best rate we offer. Take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not going to lie, I was excited when I came across this themed style hotel room online! I knew the kids would love it. But if you are going to charge a family to stay in the zoo themed room at 200.00/ night then I think some updating is a must. Upon opening the door to the room there was a musty smell, which knowing the hotel is 30 years old I can tolerate. My major problem with the room was the old dirty carpet. This is a kids room.. Kids are on the floor... I cringed when they got on the floor to play with their trucks! I understand the high traffic, but id guess it's been years since that carpet was installed. Then comes the bathroom! Ugh... To my standards the tub was dirty and very old. Even my 3 year old didn't want to get in there, but after playing on the floor I made him. And no, I'm not a neat freak. I hate to complain bc the staff was AmAZING! My family typically stays at newer modern hotels and we tend to travel all over, which is why I may be so disappointed. Our check in process went well, but it took about 20 minutes to find a parking spot! It's unfortunate the hotel has to share with the bar/restaurant next door, along with the apartments behind it. We were approached by two people asking us for money, which started us off nervous about the location we chose to stay in.. (Doubt it's as bad as we thought, but to be approached was a bit concerning) On the brighter side my kids thought the room was "cool"... I'd say it was cool for half the price we paid! For $200/ night, not updated, no pool, no bar, no restaurant and limited parking... it's not worth it and we won't be back. -again the staff was amazing, friendly and helpful!

Stayed August 2014
aliceg, Guest Relations Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Jaimi, sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience with us. The KC Zoo room comes with free tickets to the Zoo along with the Penguin Pack (gifts for the kiddo's) and thus the price was higher than our regular rooms. Furthermore, we do have a lobby bar (and offer free drinks each evening to guests)...not sure how you missed that. We did inspect the room and specifically the carpet and although we couldn't find any issues, we respect your opinion and have had it professionally cleaned since your review. Our business has been very good since we launched but that also means we cannot deep clean rooms on a regular basis. Now that summer is winding down, we are able to get back into rooms and deliver a product as good as our service.
HOMEWOOD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Melanie at the front desk was very friendly and efficient. The room....2 double beds... was nice. The AC worked very well.The room was also very quiet which is always important. The hotel offered a driver to take people anywhere in a 4 mile radius which was greatly appreciated. Nice breakfast buffet with cooked to order eggs/omelttes. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised because this was a remolded HI Express but I couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thanks Alan. I am glad you mentioned the quiet room. It can be challanging at times but we recently added door sweeps to all guest rooms to help limit noise from hallways. Please be sure to use our repeat guest rate when you return...it is our lowest rate available.
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The rooms were a bit dated. Ours did not have a fridge or microwave, there also was no pool. The ice machine on our floor did not work.
There were free newspapers, as well as breakfast...including made to order omelets. And the staff was absolutely terrific. They were always cheerful and very helpful.

Room Tip: A friend with a king size bed had a fridge in their room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Maria Lyn, thanks for your stay and comments. The mini-fridge has been a guest comment we have paid attention to and will be adding them to the rest of our guest rooms. Please be sure to use our repeat guest rate when you return...it is the best we have to offer. Take care.
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here while driving through Kansas City. The staff was extremely friendly. The website states they will beat any lower price you find online. They quoted $139 for the night. Expedia said $83. The hotel gave it to us for $81. The hotel was packed due to a wedding (or two), but that did not stop the staff from being helpful. The hotel lobby is quite small, and the hotel rooms seem old. Also, it is located in a nice little neighborhood just minutes from downtown. I would love to visit again.

I would rate the rooms 3 for average, but rating the hotel 4 because of the great staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for your stay. Summer is about to end and our business will decrease a tad so we can get back into guest rooms and keep improving them. Please come back and see the improvements. Take care.
Joplin, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I always go anywhere new several times before offering my opinion because anything can happen once but twice, not likely. The first stay at the 816 Hotel was during opening weekend when things could have been crazy. It was not. The welcome was first class and it only got better from there. Then the personally made omelet was perfect and the only the finish of a great breakfast.
The second visit, I was greeted by name and stayed in one of the theme rooms. Now I have been in hotel rooms all over the world and have never been so impressed. I just stood in the middle of the room, turning in a circle taking in every detail. Wow! Just could not believe results of a unique idea.
The 816 is a tribute to Kansas City and should not be missed. The location is ideal. The service is as good as it gets and will always be my first choice when I stay in Kansas City.

Allan Bopp

p.s. At breakfast before I left the cook remembered me by name and what kind of omelet she had made for me the first time. Now that is SERVICE.

Room Tip: Ask for a theme room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Allan B
aliceg, Front Office Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Allan, thanks for your visit and kind note. Our staff tries its best and we hope they can deliver to others, the level of service your experienced. Please us our repeat guest rate for your next trip here...it will save you some dough. Take care.
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My husband and I recently arrived at this hotel for our anniversary. We had read reviews and figured this would be a different type of experience. Upon arriving at the hotel, it wasn't as expected. It looks very much different in the afternoon, than at night. However, we were quickly greeted by a gracious staff. Before I continue, I want to make one thing clear. I have been to numerous hotels, both high-end and low-end. Never in any state, have I experienced the type of customer service as this hotel. The front desk employees were nice, the shuttle driver was amazing, and the bartender was top notch. They have unmatched customer satisfaction. Getting back to my review, I liked how the lobby had a new decor feel. The elevators looked re-done as well. My not-so-sure feeling turned to anticipation. When we entered our room, it was fairly small. I guess we booked a Business King, which I'm assuming is lower than the other theme rooms. This could be due to the high volume of reservations when I booked it. I immediately took notice that there was no fridge or microwave. I had never been in a room without those, so it was a slight drawback. The bed itself was immaculate, I loved the feeling of soft sheets. There were some weird spots on the comforter. The curtains were rather dirty, but I kept them shut 98% of the time. When it came time for the bathroom, this is where I was very disappointed.The bathroom, in my opinion was the most out-dated. The bathtub had extremely LOW pressure, I could barely get the shampoo out of my hair. It was also very small, something I was slightly taken aback by. The toilet ran very slow.. I did like the fact that they had Tommy Bahamas toiletries, they smelled nice. Besides the remarkable staff, the managers reception is also a perk. They make very good drinks and you are allowed two per guest. Another major perk is the shuttle, they will take you within 3-4 miles of the hotel. We were dropped off at the Country Club Plaza and picked up very promptly. In the morning, we ate their free breakfast. It wasn't much as far as breakfast goes. I would have liked biscuits and gravy or something of the sort. It was mostly bread products and cereal. They did have a woman make omelets, which were good. The woman herself was a bit off-putting. It was obvious she was overwhelmed. After all is said and done, the million dollar question is, would I return? The answer is. . . yes. The customer service makes up for the out-dated room. The bed itself is very comfortable, that's all that really matters. The managers reception is a great bonus. The shuttle is very convenient and they are within walking distance to many many places. If you want to try something different, that isn't a "high-class" atmosphere, come here. It is a hotel that is for all types of people.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissChelleBelle
aliceg, Guest Relations Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I truly enjoyed reading your review and I shared it with our entire staff. While the bricks and mortar are often out of the control of owners/operators, the ONE item that is completely in our control is service. I am very pleased you were very pleased in the great employees we have been fortunate to get to join our efforts.

As for the bricks and mortar, the building is about to turn 30 and while she holds her age well, she is, well almost 30. In addition, we scrambled to finish the launch of the 816 by our advertised Grand Opening date of May 22. For better or worse, since May 22, we have been one of the busiest hotels in Kansas City. I say 'for better or worse' because while the bankers like the business we have been blessed with, our guest rooms take a beating and the high occupancy limits our ability to get into rooms and make simple improvements. Now that summer is about over, our occupancy levels begin to level off and our in-room maintenance efforts start in full.

We appreciate your vote of confidence and truly hope you come back soon to see the improvements. BTW---please be sure to use out Repeat Guest Rate when you return...it is our lowest.