“A taste of Classic KC” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Denver, Colorado
“A taste of Classic KC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am from KC and travel back about twice a month. I'm an admitted hotel snob and been inside most of the 2.5* + hotels in the KC downtown-plaza area (where you should stay if you want anything other than generic suburbs.) I now typically stay in one of two 4* boutique hotels. When booking this trip, I recalled an article about a new theme hotel in Westport, my old stomping grounds, so I had to check it out.

This hotel has had a complete overhaul from the previous hotel. Hip decor, themed rooms to represent KC such as, The KC Star and Roasterie themed rooms, each decorated by the KC classics that they represent. I stayed in the Boulevard Room as I heard it even smelled of aging Oak Barrel) ....this was my first choice so I was sure to book in advance. The room was decked out in Boulevard memorabilia, and indeed the smell of aging oak. It brought back a lot of memories for me as a Boulevard fan.

This is a unique hotel concept and in the middle of Westport, a prime location featuring KC's nightlife, restaurants and bars and outdoor shopping boutiques. It's also within walking distance to the plaza.

5* across the board and a must try for KC....I will add it to my rotation.

Room Tip: Ask about the themed rooms when booking. I believe there are 18 different themes.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
aliceg, Guest Relations Manager at 816 Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thanks for your review and glad to hear things were good. The Boulevard Brewery room is one of a kind including the floor lamps made from torpedo kegs. Like Boulevard, we hope we are giving guests the very best KC has to offer. Hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Kashmir, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stay at the 816 it was a nice hotel im a night owl so I got to know Orlando he was so nice and just seem like he loved working at the 816 if u come to kcmo stay at the 816 I know u will love the hotel too thxs 816 staff

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank dewayne h
Dewayne, thanks for your business and we agree, Orlando is a great asset to our hotel. BTW---because of our location, we get many 'night owls'. Should you get back to KC, please call us and ask for the repeat guest rate...it is the cheapest we offer.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great location, exceptional service and amenities for the price. Recently renovated, rooms are spacious and nice, but bathrooms were done cheaply. Walking distance to Westport and other downtown locations, but also offers free shuttle service anywhere within 4miles...good choice after enjoying the daily free happy hour cocktails.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Robert B
Mike, thanks for your kind note. We are making plans to upgrade bathrooms this winter and we are excited about the initial plans. Please utilize our repeat guest rate if you make it back to KC---it is the lowest rate we have. Cheers.
Valley Park, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

For $103 a night for a King, expectations were met, if not exceeded. If you're looking for a Ritz or Hilton room, go there and spend tripple. The bed was nicely made and the bathroom clean, if a bit dated, but all functional. Breakfast room small but variety good, comparable to a Hampton Inn, plus a bonus of an omlet bar. It's an older hotel and the owners have done a nice job getting it to where it's at today.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for your patronage and your review. Glad to hear things were up to snuff. Please use our repeat guest rate when you return. Not only is it our lowest rate, but we try to upgrade repeat guests into themed rooms when available. Simply call us to book. Thanks again.
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I was at Kansas City for a conference. I really enjoyed my stay at hotel 816. Great rooms, nice shuttle to go around the area, free awesome breakfast and enjoyable free drinks at the bar. TJ is a great bartender, very nice and friendly. Everybody in the hotel are very nice. It's like a 3 star hotel experience. Nice location with tons of restaurants in the nearby area.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the note and glad to hear you had a nice stay. TJ is a great ambassador for KC and she keeps guests happy at the bar. Hope to see you again soon.
Eudora, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I surprised my wife with tickets to a concert at the Sprint Center, and since we live about an hour away, decided to grab a hotel nearby. At the recommendation of one of my colleagues, I called the 816 and booked a room. From that call, I could tell the hotel was going to be different. The lady I talked with (Melanie) was very friendly yet professional, and did a great job explaining the unique amenities the hotel had to offer. When I arrived, I was not disappointed. The lobby was professional, the room was fun, and the service was top-notch. We enjoyed happy hour at the hotel bar, and the free shuttle service dropped us off right next to the Sprint Center, saving us $20 in parking fees and eliminating a long walk! We had a great night, capped off by free breakfast in the morning before heading off to work. I don't think I'll ever drive to a concert at the Sprint Center again, this was the way to go!

Room Tip: The Mobster room was fun, and educational to read all the clippings on the darker side of KC history...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank John F
John, thanks for your note and glad to hear things went well. What concert did you see? Our shuttle makes seeing events at the Sprint Center as easy as they get. And we agree, Melanie sure can offer up great service and advice on things to see and do. Hope to see you soon. Please remember our repeat guest rate when you come back...it is the lowest we have.
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Upon arrival, I quickly noticed the hotel staff's eagerness to please customers. They went above and beyond throughout my stay. I loved it! The only reason I did not give this hotel an excellent rating is due to the need for tub resurfacing in the bathroom of the room that I stayed in and the drain was painfully slow. The friendliness & helpfulness of the staff guarantees that I will be back. Plus, it's in the heart of everything! Keep up the good work Hotel 816 staff!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the note Belinda. Sorry about the slow drain...our best defense if communication like yours so hopefully we can fix it before the next guest checks in. Please be sure to use our repeat guest rate if you return. Not only will it save you money, we use them when upgrading folks into themed rooms. Hope to see you again soon!