“Great value in a fun location”
Review of 816 Hotel

816 Hotel
Ranked #25 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Columbia, MO
“Great value in a fun location”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We got bumped up to a theme room (blues musicians) so our room had a piano, several other musical instruments for decoration. It was a large room, and quiet at night despite a busy convention occurring during our visit. Literally only a short walk to Potpie or Bluestem restaurants which simplifies life. Repeat guests get a discount so we will be returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Paramus, NJ
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent staff. Staff went out of their way to make the visit a great experience. Owner and manager were on site and all interacted wonderfully. Rooms were clean and bed was very comfortable. Zero complaints! If I find myself in KC again I will stay here.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed in the Boulevard Room recently, room was very nicely decorated. Bathroom however needed some upgrading. Mold around the bathtub and what appeared to be water damage on walls. Otherwise this was a great place to enjoy a weekend. Staff was wonderful to deal with and immediately responded to any issues. Happy Hour drinks were a great touch and Breakfast was nice with the Omelet Bar and Biscuits and Gravy! I'd stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a themed room. Worth the extra money!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Merriam, Kansas
Reviewed 18 August 2014

A group I belong to held a weekend long event at the hotel. Since I'm a local, I knew the hotel was new and didn't know what to expect. The hotel was awesome. Westport is the pulse of the city and has things to do both young and old. The hotel has special rooms that showcase some of the amazing things I've grown to love about this city. The Boulevard room is perfect in a kitschy kind of way. The was boulevard refrigerator, and the nightstand was made of some of the barrels they probably use when the age their quad beer. Much like the newspaper itself, the KC Star room was bold. But the UMKC room was my favorite, blue and gold like the mighty "Roos." The drapes were made the school'a jerseys and their was a basketball hoop in case I got bored.

As amazing as the rooms are, the staff is even better. Since I was helping to put in the above mentioned event, my room was chaotic. But that didn't stop the maids from making sure I still had a clean bathroom and linens. The front desk staff was nice and friendly, and responded very quickly when our group imposed upon them. I can't wait to book our event here again next year.

• Stayed August 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed solo at the hotel for one night during the summer and was blown away by the customer service (thanks especially to Sophia, Claudette, and Donald!). This stay is all about experiencing Kansas City at a great price. Located in Westport, you're steps away from the thriving nightclub and restaurant scene in Kansas City. It's almost impossible to find parking at Westport on a busy weekend, so you've found a prime location to stay at 816 Hotel. As a young female traveler, I felt safe walking the neighborhood and going to/from the hotel and restaurant.

The room I stayed in was one of the many themed corner rooms, highlighting the National World War I Museum in town. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the decor was startling in its elegance and respect for the Great War and the incredible stories that came from it. The artwork was all copies of collection pieces (even in the bathroom!) and the enormous mural on one of the walls of the Pantheon de la Guerre painting stood as an incredible conversation piece. I didn't turn the lights out for hours as I explored the room and the materials. Coffee mugs from the Museum are used instead of generic. Books, photographs, and a display of poppies really makes you have appreciation for the subject matter. The room is rich in color and culture, so I highly recommend it!

The hotel is new and clean. I enjoyed wandering the halls and looking at massive murals of old Kansas City photos. The front-desk welcome was warm and the staff jumped to assist me with any questions or needs I had.

This hotel provide extras that you wouldn't think about normally for this price. Omelets prepared in front of you at breakfast and free drinks at the bar. It really made me appreciate the care they take of their guests. They know exactly what a traveler needs and wants and they deliver.

Room Tip: Corner "themed" rooms have best views & extra perks
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TheGogglette
Prairie Village, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had the pleasure of working with Donald Ray and his incredible team this past weekend at the 816 Hotel. Over the past few months the staff of the 816 Hotel were consummate professionals during the planning stages of the event. The weekend of the event proved that customer service was an essential element to what the 816 Hotel is all about.
Sarah, Sophia, Mack, Robert, Curtis, Schaun, Jamie, Carl, Hussein, Paul and the many other staff members that worked behind the scenes to make our event happen demonstrated what a class act should be.

Room Tip: Check the website and see if one of the many theme rooms are available. A unique feature that puts t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

As a business owner in Westport I've traveled past this hotel many times but this past weekend had a chance to stay there. What a great experience! The hotel is clean and polished and brimming over with Kansas City history. Our room was tidy and the oversized historic photos of The Country Club Plaza were fascinating as well as lovely decor. The breakfast provided was delicious and the staff were beyond friendly! The location is such that you can walk to Westport or 39th street to have dinner, sightsee and shop before a night of pleasant rest. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple