“Run away from home weekend”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-International Airport
Ranked #18 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Run away from home weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

good time at Embassy Suites KC. had to get away from the daily routine. we stay here whenever we can. really enjoy the managers nightly reception and the free breakfast. you get eggs made to order!! thank you again for a good weekend..close to many attractions. not hard to get to. nice rooms. bathroom is a bit small.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
tulsa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I don't care what the website says....just stay here. An outstanding room, excellent amenities, great value. They say that I must have at least 200 characters. I don't need 200 characters to say that this place is an excellent hotel and a great value

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a great experience, and also have in the past, at the Embassy Suites, on Tiffany Springs Parkway. Conveniently located, nice area, an the hotel is very nice. The staff were very helpful to us during our stay and we appreciated that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at the sister property of this hotel, but Sandy, the Embassy shuttle driver, picked us up from the airport. She was so friendly and professional. I enjoyed talking with her the entire ride. Then, we got to our truck and discovered the battery was dead. The front desk of the Homewood called Sandy and asked if she would jump our truck. Sandy immediately drove back to the hotel we were at and helped us! She said she was more than happy to help, and it was obvious that she was! I wish all hotel staff were this great. Thank you Sandy!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I really enjoyed this location. The entire staff--from shuttle drivers to front desk to wait staff to housekeeping--were all wonderful and extremely helpful. The snack dispenser is definitely worth the extra dollars for the upgrade. The free breakfast was a feast! A really great experience. I highly recommend this hotel...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Saint Joseph, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Bottom line up front: My wife and I were disappointed with the management of the Embassy Suites Kansas City International Airport, and the staff’s ability to communicate effectively. All in all, our event went well and our guests had a great time, but we weren’t impressed with the ability of the hotel and its staff to handle the details.

In December 2013, my wife and I began looking for locations for our wedding celebration. We settled on the Embassy Suites KCI Airport because of its’ reasonable price (with taxes and fees included), airport shuttle (we expected out of state guests), and what we initially felt was a flexible staff. The first coordinator we talked to helped work out some details about our gathering, developed a general contract for us to sign, and scheduled us for a detailing appointment on May 30th. On February 17th that coordinator informed us that she was leaving the hotel. On March 25th, the new coordinator introduced herself via email.

The first sign of trouble came when my wife called the day prior to confirm our detailing appointment on May 30th. The new coordinator was not aware of the appointment, but she did adjust her schedule to accommodate. We felt like we had a productive meeting. We discussed all the aspects of our timeline, the number of guests, the ball room décor, and met with a representative of the band that would play at the party. The new coordinator took notes and indicated the various questions that she would need to follow up about, she was new after all.

As the time before the party grew shorter we started receiving correspondence from the new coordinator that did not match the discussions we had at the detailing appointment. (We readily admit that we should have initiated communication/conducted our own follow up efforts to have avoided being caught off guard.) Two points that we discussed at the detailing meeting that stand out as customer service blunders were 1) completing an amendment to our contract to reduce our costs since we had a smaller number of RSVPs than we expected and 2) the inclusion of hard alcohol in our host bar. The new coordinator denied discussing either point at our detailing meeting. I was routed to the catering director regarding the amendment issue and was told “its business, nothing personal.” I respect that aspect of the contract, and I recommend that anyone booking this venue have a pretty good idea of how many people will attend your event prior to signing the contract. A host premium bar was included in the first draft of the “banquet order,” but the second draft did not. I don’t understand how the staff understood at one point then denied discussing it as something we wanted in future conversations. It was clear to us that the customer is not always right at the Embassy Suites.

At the ceremony itself there numerous small details that we requested that were not included: the vases on the tables were not correct (they were fixed after we pointed it out), floor to ceiling drapery on the corners of the dance floor, and a delay between clearing the meal and serving the dessert. There were other things that we didn’t request that we clearly should have communicated more effectively about. For example, we spent a fair bit of money on a small wedding cake for the two of us, and paid for a plated dessert for our guests. Only two pieces of our wedding cake left the ballroom in our possession, and we assume the rest were thrown away. The new coordinator did not communicate with us regarding what we would have liked done with the cake.

We picked our options based on the 2013 price list, so that’s what we referenced on several occasions to determine what different options would cost and what services were included in various packages. We were told “there was an updated price list” but it was never provided. Upon further inspection I noticed that in fine print on the 2013 price list there was a statement that prices can change without notice. We ended up getting charged $200 for a power box for the band which I couldn’t find anywhere in the price list. Additionally, the package included a tasting prior to the event. Despite statements by the staff we were never afforded the opportunity to try our menu choices prior to the event.

To break the rolling barrage of negatives, let me acknowledge the things that we liked about our experience. The afternoon and night of our party we were helped by another employee who accommodated multiple requests: he arranged to have the dance floor enlarged, he placed the appropriate vases on the tables, he arranged to have my dad billed for the cash liquor bar, and he did it all with a smile. The hotel shuttle service was very helpful for our out of state guests. The Presidential Suite was really nice. The hotel allowed us to party until midnight. The new coordinator helped my wife find a suitable hair dresser near the hotel. The food was pretty good. The new coordinator went out of her way to help reduce our costs to the absolute minimum possible within the constraints of the contract. Unless noted otherwise, the staff took action to fix the issues I’ve mentioned. When one of our guests was checked into a room under maintenance, the front desk apologized repeatedly and provided food vouchers for the inconvenience.

Our disappointment doesn’t stop at the event and catering staff. The reservation staff was clearly not well organized either. Multiple guests had trouble getting our adjusted rate reservation because “central booking” did not have the information. One of our guests was booked under a different event and ended up being treated very rudely to get the appropriate rate associated with our event.

The final frustration came while settling the bill. As noted, my dad graciously provided his credit card information to cover the hard liquor bill at the party. The Monday following the party my credit card was charged for the entire balance of the bill. I never even signed the “banquet check” to authorize this transaction (though I knew it was coming). I rarely left the party and had fewer than four drinks over the course of the night, so I was both available and capable of authorizing this transaction. It was aggravating that even after the party the staff was struggling to keep the details straight.

I feel like anyone selecting the Embassy Suites should go in prepared. You and your guests (room reservations) are going to spend a lot of money at this establishment, so you deserve to have better service. I recommend that you take notes and potentially record your meetings so that you have proof of what was discussed. Take the time to communicate very clearly and repeatedly about what you want, then follow up repeatedly to make sure that things are taken care of appropriately. In essence, you should expect to be bridezilla/groomzilla to get what you want out of the Embassy Suites.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BWMMO
HomewoodKCI, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-International Airport, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Let me start by apologizing for the disappointments that you and your bride had in regards to your reception at the Embassy Suites KCI. I appreciate your candor, honesty, and fairness in contacting us. Moreover, I was delighted to read your overarching comment, “All in all, our event went well and our guests had a great time.” Sometimes in hospitality, as with the nature of all things human, mistakes can happen. In this situation, it is fortunate that these regrettable mistakes did not affect the total outcome and the final goal. Please know that your comments of both the disappointment and the compliments have been communicated to the respective hotel departments involved in event operations. We look forward to seeing you again at the Embassy Suites.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel. I've been in most of Hilton properties in town but this takes the prize.
Yes, i know Hilton President is gorgeous inside but their 20+$ a night parking is a deal-breaker for me.
Embassy at airport has huge parking space free. With I-29 or I29-> 169 to downtown is 15 minutes.
Inside the hotel is very nice with all the fountains and the open atrium style.
Three glass elevators are well placed , never have to walk far even to the farthest room from the elevator but far enough to block noise of people in and out of elevators.

One thing is the sun directly beating on the face of the hotel. Through the large windows , the bedroom gets very toasty while the living room and bathroom area becomes winter cold as the air-conditioning is trying to cool the bedroom.

Breakfast is advertised from 6 to 9 but i repeatedly had great breakfast at 5:30 The chef comes in to do make to order omlette at 6. Egg whites only omelette is alway available that i have to beg for at other places.

There isn't a waiter to take your order , it is all serve serve including drinks ,but many times i like this better as I'm not in the mercy of another person.

During rush hour, there are three people checking people in. This is huge as it is one of my biggest grind with hotels when i have to be in line after long travel.

Plenty of restaurants near by across i-29 or an exit shout on i-29.

Classy place. So far the classiest of all hilton properties in KC I seen them all.

Stayed July 2014