“Don't stay downtown if this is what you get for the price.”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We chose the Sheraton because it had better reviews than the Westin and based on the smell of the Westin, we chose right. However, we paid $180 per night with tax which I thought was a little steep but it is right next to Legoland and every other reason we thought we were coming to KC.

1). When ask about staying another night, the hotel told us there was a block on all the rooms and we couldn't. When we called our original booking agent, they said there were plenty of rooms available at $280 per night. This hotel was barely worth $180 per night so we found somewhere else to stay near Leawood, KS.
2). There is no acceptable dinner restaurant around here and we ended up driving to Leawood KS every night anyway.
3). wifi is $9.95 per day, not free at this hotel.
4). Parking is $16.00 per day self serve.
5). There were large paint bubbles on the ceiling of the hotel room bathroom and the sink drain had some issues.

In conclusion, not worth more than $160 per night for sure and be aware that there is very limited dinner options in the area and extra charges for everything.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Sarah D
SteveShalit_GM, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Sarah D- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize if we were unable to meet your expectations during your stay. It is our goal to create as comfortable and accommodating an experience as possible. I understand the frustrations with the maintenance of your guest room bathroom and have shared this with our engineering team. We value your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you as our guest in the future to create a more signature experience.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

So...Overall, this is a nicer hotel in a Great location! And I think that is what you are mostly paying for at this hotel. One double bed, basic room on the 25th floor for one night of sleep and self-park option with no Wi-Fi access in the room is over 200 bucks. Check-in is 3, check-out is 12. It was somewhat chaotic at check-in...LOTS of People checking in (3:25 pm). Not that there was a line at the check-in counter but I had to ask a lot of questions as the check-in person was not guessing that I would need the answers (how do I self-park and what is involved with leaving and coming back in my car, who do I get to help me with unloading the car before I park, what about the pool, what about Wi-Fi, what is the meaning of life, etc.). Joking somewhat with the last.

Regardless, he did answer my questions and directed me to the bell hop supervisor standing closer to the door and he seemed even more 'harried' and so found that one of the valet guys was better at helping me out with the bell hop service. Overall, I would give the check-in process an average rating. Also, to park in self-park it is 16 dollars (I'm not sure if it is more than that for more than one night as I only stayed one night). To valet park is 22 dollars (again not sure if this is for one night or each night of your stay as it is the same garage but just parking spots that were a few feet closer). The good news is that the hotel is directly attached and you never have to walk without an overhead protection (if it rains or the like). Once you enter the garage you get a ticket spit out at you at an automatic teller and when you leave the garage you have to write your name, put your room number on it, and sign it and turn it in to the attendant and then you repeat the process when you re-enter the garage later. They seemed to have a check-out list the day we departed and they looked for my name.

Wi-Fi is an additional 7 dollars (I believe) to access in your room and of course, in the lobby it is free. As I was only staying a night and I knew I would be too busy to access and my phone already access the internet...I didn't opt for this so I can't tell you about the streaming and quality within the room. I did have 4G's on my phone in the room and had no problem using my internet on it.

The view from the room was of the city and the pool and the 'Link' to the shops. The room was basic and clean and satisfactory to your average middle-class American. The fridge did not work so had to call the front and they brought up a brand new one to replace it. Also, I asked for a fan (as my partner has to have air blowing on her). They brought that too. They also followed-up with a phone call to ensure that the fan was brought. The apple docking station was easy and good. Not sure why someone had issues with this in another review.

The hotel itself when you walk-in has a spectacular 3-D art piece hanging from the tall ceiling. Beautiful! The pool is Very hard to find and you will need to ask for directions. I did not get to the pool but I heard people talking in the elevator that the Jacuzzi and pools are altogether so...don't expect to get away from loud kids. I have no way to confirm this as I did not get to the pool.

So...Location is key here! The 'Link' is a walkable indoor path that leads to several buildings, shops, restaurants, and other hotel(s). I did go to these shops and bought some fudge and chocolate. The chocolate shop there has the best Turtles I've ever eaten...not too sweet, and perfect size! The fudge was too sweet for me but I am not a fudge lover.

Also, the hotel was a mile from our venue (which was in the light district and the place to be from the looks of it) where we attended a concert that night at the Midland theatre on Main St. There is a lot of road work but accessible to navigate without too big of an issue. My partner did get sick and I called the hotel to see if they would 'shuttle' her back to the hotel from the venue (as it was only a mile) and I got told that she would have to walk to 13th street. As I had no clue where that was, I just ended up driving her back to the hotel and then driving back to the venue. So, don't depend upon the shuttle to bus you around exactly where you need or want.

Also, there were restaurants and a café in the hotel but we did not utilize but the menus looked good and not too expensive as hotel food goes. They also have late night and 24 hour food service so...that was nice to know for just in case.

There was no bathroom fan so...bring some air freshener if you have those type concerns. Also, the hairdryer on the wall did not work but there was one provided to plug in so...it worked out as I am so used to hotels having this feature that I don't even think anymore about bringing a hair dryer. The mattresses and pillows and covers were all 5 star. Slept like a baby and everyone sleeping in the room agreed.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel due to its location and 'Link' feature but would warn them about the parking price and Wi-Fi price considerations.

Room Tip: No particular tips on find a good room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mmmesser
SteveShalit_GM, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

mmmesser- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am truly delighted to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us and were able to indulge in all the wonderful amenities provided to you as our guest to create a relaxing stay. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center and I am happy you were able to visit all the great shops and attractions. Your feedback is very important to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to create another signature stay. The new Halls Department store will be opening in September. You should try the new Halls Cafe next time you visit and check out the amazing new store. Thank you again for your warm comments.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel was very pretty. The staff was very nice. However, when you are paying over a hundred dollars for a room, you shouldn't have to pay for internet. Very frustrating. Also, we did not know that we had to pay for parking until we checked out. Other little things were that there was no pop machine on our floor and the elevator doors just about squished my teenage daughter. We will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a pop machine on your floor!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rachelk459

Rachel K- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am happy to hear our staff was warm and welcoming during your stay with us. I sincerely apologize if we were unable to meet your expectations during your stay. It is our goal to create as comfortable and convenient an experience as possible. I truly understand the scare with the elevator doors and have shared this with our engineering department. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to create a more top notch stay in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

The club lounge experience for both evening and morning offering was very bad. The evening offering initially started as vegetable cuts but it wasn't until much later then when it was supposed to start did the hotel bring put more food. For the morning, breakfast was to be available between 6-10. The hotel was also late in getting the breakfast out and the presentation was not good.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank BCKAARJ

Brett K- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize if we were unable to meet your expectations due to the poor service you received in our Club Lounge. This is truly unacceptable and I understand your frustrations. I have addressed your comments with the appropriate teams to further investigate where our staff fell short. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We value your business and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to create a more signature stay.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, comfortable bed and nice work out facilities. Staff were friendly. Special shout out to Kenneth at the front desk. Very pleasant, helpful. Also liked free shuttle in 3 mile radius. Only complaint is the restaurant is expensive and bad service. The snack bar for breakfast is good but overpriced and understaffed. Seems a little long to have to wait 20-30 minutes in line. The staff are pleasant and one feels sorry for them because there should be more than 2 people in the morning and they are hard working people who are pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
SteveShalit_GM, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Lisa B- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax comfortably in our Sweet Sleeper beds. It is our goal to make our guests experience top notch. I am happy to hear your team made you feel warm and welcome. We truly value your business and look forward to serving you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I got stuck at this "sister property" of Westin after Westin overbooked their rooms. I ended up in one of their left over double bed rooms which contained miniature versions of regular sized beds. I also had the pleasure of being right behind the elevators. The sweet cacophony of varying elevator sounds put me right to sleep, as I'm sure you can imagine. I brought all of this to the attention of the front desk staff and was told that they didn't have anything else. At least the Westin front desk staff was pleasant about not helping me. I won't be back.

2  Thank AyanaMap
SteveShalit_GM, General Manager at Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

dantelost- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I sincerely apologize if our team was unable to meet your expectations during your stay. I truly understand the frustrations you experienced when checking in to The Westin and unexpectedly staying with us at Sheraton. It is our goal to create as comfortable and accommodating a stay as possible and this experience you had with us is not at all what staying a a Sheraton should feel like. Your business is very important to our team and we would love the opportunity to have you back to create a relax and signature experience. Please reach out to our Front Office Manager, Maurizio Orlando to further discuss your stay. maurizio.orlando@sheraton.com

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was at the hotel for a conference and agree with a previous reviewer that basic WiFi was included, but one had to pay for premium. The entrance to the hotel is impressive and the whole reception area is warm and welcoming. The rooms are a good size and, being on the 28th floor, I had a great view of the city. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were excellent - ironed (!) cotton sheets and great pillows. My only criticism is that there were always lines for reception and the one coffee shop in the mornings and at all break times during the conference. Extra staff should have been on duty during these periods. All the staff were considerate and helpful. The free shuttle to various areas was very welcome as there is not a lot of choice of restaurants around. The restaurant in the hotel, for lunch, was very good. Panera is round the corner but, again, extremely busy during a conference lunchtime.

Room Tip: I like higher floors, so that is what I would recommend - one with a view of the city
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Carol0104- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your stay at Sheraton Crown Center. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us and felt warm and welcome from the moment you arrived. It is our goal to create as comfortable a stay as possible. I sincerely apologize for the frustrations with the long lines for coffee during your breaks. I have addressed this with our team to ensure we are fully staffed to avoid this in the future. We value your business and appreciate your comments. We look forward to serving you as our guest in the future.