“All-Purpose Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Missouri
“All-Purpose Hotel”
Reviewed 15 September 2009

I used Priceline to get a hotel in KC either downtown or Crown Center area. The Hyatt came up, so I read some reviews and got nervous, as some people reported poor experiences. However, I was pleasantly surprised. There was no construction going on that I noticed, and all areas I visited were very clean and up-to-date. I was offered a choice of floors, and I picked the highest one to get a good view (and hopefully be quieter).

The room was comfortable and spacious. The king-sized bed had lots of pillows and throws and mattress was fine. Furniture was also comfortable and I didn't feel crowded. I will note that the TV was small and the channel selection limited (no Comedy Central!). The bathroom looked remodeled with everything you'd need including toothpaste(!). I didn't like the scent of the soap or shampoo, but that's personal preference

I used the fitness room several times - hard to find, and I wandered around trying to follow the signs. Eventually I saw a special elevator across from the hotel bar/grill. Go up, then up some stairs, then a long dark hallway before the gym and pool appear. The equipment was fairly complete and the cardio machines had individual TVs and earphones.

Lobby was open, airy, and had plenty of seating - likewise the upper level (mezzanine). You can pick up free wireless there, but have to pay if you want to use it in the rooms. I ate at the bar/grill one night late - in the room it said happy hour was 10-midnight so I went at 10 and asked what the specials were. The waitress looked blank and said there weren't any drink or food specials. So either the advertising is wrong or the waitress was clueless. Fortunately the food and drinks weren't too expensive.

I self-parked in the hotel garage which was expensive but convenient. The hotel location is great if you want to hang around the Crown Center or Union Station. It's long walk or cab/bus ride to downtown or the Power and Light District.

Except for the very minor quibbles, an excellent hotel and great experience. I have no trouble giving it the highest recommendation.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Finnish first
Lockport, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I went here for a business conference and everything was great. The room was fresh and clean with a great view of the city. I ate at the restuarant for lunch which had a buffet. There was a link to a mall that had a great food court and other stores. The meeting facilities were really nice too and the hotel gave us Starbuck's coffee and bagels in the morning and coffee and cakes/snacks for an afternoon break. Checkout had a kiosk and was quick and easy. Internet was not free though, but I had an air card. There was free internet in the lobby but not in your room. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Ada, OK
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Hotel staff were very nice and helpful. Place was very clean and convenient. I am a travel agent and have already recommended and made reservations there for one of my clients.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Missouri
Reviewed 24 June 2009

The front desk service was friendly, but we were supposed to have adjoining rooms. She said we did, but when we got there they weren't adjoining. Also I had called ahead of time about the pool times. I also said something about the pool at check-in and they didn't bother to tell us we couldn't use it. So when we went to go swimming we had to go over to another hotel and we had to walk forever to get there. It is clean and the bed was excellent. The website said there was free parking, but we were charged. My friends called down to the front desk to ask about any places that delivered and we got charged $20.00 for phone calls. Also wireless was not free, and they didn't have a very good selection of channels on the T.V. Unless you wanted to pay an outrageous price for a movie. We went down to the bar and grill to eat and the service was the worst I have ever had. The waitresses ignored you and they were extremely rude. We were on the 30th floor and the view was amazing however, Unless you have money to through around I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank tiffy1979
San Francisco
Reviewed 27 May 2009

While one cannot expect a 40 story hotel to close to make needed renovations, I believe guests should be warned at the time they are making a reservation that such renovations are going on. We were given no such alert when we booked a king bed room online for their Regency Club Floor that was to include evening drinks and morning breakfast fare. At check-in we were informed that the club room was closed for the weekend because of the renovations going on, thus no drinks or breakfast as promised.

We discussed extensively with the front desk clerk our need for quiet and she assured us that our room would be far away from any noise but offered us no relief for the lost club room amenities. While settling into the room my wife noticed lipstick marks on one of the pillows. It should have been a clue as to the rest of our two day stay.

A few hours after checking in I was awoken from a nap with the sound of drilling going on next door. A complaint to the front desk elicited a modest credit against the room rate for the loss of the Clubroom extras and waiver of the normal room WiFi fee, but no relief from the noise.

Pluses: Good location with great views of the city. Very friendly helpful staff throughout the hotel (except for the bartender in their Sports Bar “Spectators” who had a serious attitude problem and refused our request to turn off a very loud jukebox.) On the other hand, Sean Purvis, the manager of the hotel’s 42nd floor revolving “Skies Restaurant” and his well trained staff could not have been more responsive to our needs and we had a fine dining experience that almost made us forget the unpleasantness of the rest of our stay.

Minuses: Noisy renovations going on for the rest of the summer of 2009. The rooms clearly are in need of those renovations. Furniture in lobby mezzanine actually looked too dirty to sit in.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SanFrancisco_Tourist
st. louis, mo
Reviewed 25 May 2009

In town for the annual Jiggle Jam festival for little kids, which surreally coincided with "CONQUEST" - a fantasy/sci-fi convention (lots of odd-looking, costumed, but amiable folks wandering around!), we picked this hotel because of good experiences at other Hyatts. I can see why other posts have been negative, but our experience was mainly positive. Some fixtures (latches) and fittings (shower heads) were broken or 'tired,' but they are renovating, (Monday - Friday, 9 am - 5 pm - be warned!). our adjoining rooms were very spacious, and we were most comfortable. The views are tremendous, even if K.C. isn't your idea of a world class vista. The elevators were prompt, the reception staff polite and professional, and the bell hops excellent. the terrace restaurant had a very nice and reasonably priced ($14.50/adult; $6.50 child) breakfast buffet. the wait staff were friendly and efficient, but it was a little frustrating to have to wait several minutes to be seated when there were 8 or so tables already set up and ready! that frustration must have been shared by many others, as the situation hadn't been rectified by the time we finished and left. this must be something to do with 'team management' or similar, but i know nothing about this - i can just report what i saw. the pool we used once, and it was very pleasant on a hot afternoon, though it could do with a hotel employee supervising the guests - beer, drinks, radios playing, rough-housing from teenagers, it seemed a little too like a neighbourhood pool than a luxury facility on the fifth floor of a hyatt. all in all, though, with the good discount rates being offered that weekend, we checked out feeling that we had been well treated and given good value for money.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank twoteachersSt.Louis
Hawaii
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Found the hotel comfortable and one of the few that had smoking rooms in the area, you end up on the top floors. Amenities were fine, one cup coffee maker with Styrofoam cups and covers, an unplugged small refrigerator that didn’t really get cold but kept things chilled. Ipod/radio/alarm but it didn’t work until I found the cord to plug it in. Internet was fine at $10/24 hrs or $23/72 hrs. Gym was small but sufficient, pool was heated. As usual, bar and restaurant were a little pricey. Connects to the Crown shopping center – everything closes about 7pm even the restaurants I found that strange. Also was like a ghost town, had about 20 cars on the road at rush hour, most I have seen there at one time. See the WWI memorial, walking distance, great tribute! Union Station across from the memorial also has some activities for a fee.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business