“The Family package is not worth it.”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #10 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Smithville, MO
“The Family package is not worth it.”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel for the memorial day weekend. They offered a family getaway package which was about $40.00 or so more than the normal rooms per night. This was supposed to give us a free full breakfast, and in-room snacks for the kids. Well, come to find out the kids ate free breakfast anyways on the weekend, and it wasn't exactly a full breakfast, only the buffet. This would have cost around $28 if we paid for this separately. I would have expected the full breakfast to mean that I would be able to order off the breakfast menu, not be forced to resort to the buffet which did not have everything the breakfast menu would have provided. The snacks for the kids was one bag of popcorn, which was given to me upon check-in. The family package was just not worth it.
My next major complaint is the parking. In the hotel information booklet, it states that the parking is controlled by Crown Center, and the hotel does not have any say in the charges. Well, Crown Center parking is free on weekends. I could have parked less than a block away for free. Had I known this before parking in the Hyatt garage, I would have done that instead of the $14.50 per night to park.
A final and minor complaint I had was about the door locks. After putting in the key card, it always took several attempts to get the door to open. Once, we had to call the front desk from the hallway and they advised us to pull the handle up instead of down. This worked sometimes, but not always. There is nothing worse than sitting outside of your room hoping you didn't get locked out for some reason.
Overall the experience was average. Our family loved the pool, it offered a wonderful view. We all enjoyed the lobby, and staff was very friendly. If we were in an elevator with a staff member, they would always talk to the kids and were super nice. The waiters were efficient and polite. The room service was top notch. My daughter ordered the room service herself, and they were very polite to her and made her feel important. They brought it in and engaged in conversations with her as well. We loved being close to Crown Center and Union Station. The overhead walkways were a plus.
We may come back again, but only after parking somewhere else, and booking at the cheapest rate available.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank JohnyChevyEG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Finnish first
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 May 2010

This was my first time staying at a Hyatt Regency. I was impressed. It is located next to the Crown Center. They are connected through a skywalk, which helps when it rains like it did while I was visiting. They hotel offers hotel shuttle service to and from the airport. I believe the cost is around $30 (roundtrip). Parking at the hotel is $14.50 per day int he parking deck, if you decide to drive.

They have an express check-in service, which is convient if there is a long line at the front desk. I did not use the express check-in, therefore I do not know how user friendly the system is. The staff at the front desk were very considerate in fulfilling any room requests.

This is one of the largest hotels I've stayed at in awhile. There were 40 floors. But even with that many floors, I never waited more than 2-3 minutes for an elevator. There is a sports bar located on the second level as well as a restaurant (Skies) located on the top floor. I went to Skies for drinks one evening. The drink prices were actually reasonable, which surprised me.

Overall, it was a great hotel in a great location. I would definitely stay here again when I visit Kansas City again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank CUTiger81
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I've stayed at several Hyatt hotels and this one was the best hands down. The staff was incredible; super polite and very helpful. The room was modern and clean and the bed was amazingly comfortable. We were in town for a concert at the Sprint Center and the hotel offered shuttle service to and from the arena!

The hotel is connected to the Crown Center via The Link, which is a glass walkway. There's a shopping center with stores and several places to eat. We were able to grab lunch at Einstein Bagel and do some shopping without having to drive anywhere. Super convenient.

We got a great deal on the room ($70/night) by bidding online. Self-parking was $14.50. I will stay here the next time I'm in KC.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lecia J
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 April 2010

This hotel is a standard hyatt, nothing really special but well done. They lost my funds pre-authorization but that I something Hyatt seems to include as part of training for their front of house and billing staff.
The bar, occupied by the Future Farmers of American Convention attendees, was jumping and service good. Room service til 1am was efficient with an excellent soup and BBQ sandwich. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is east of the river, away from some of the business district - check before you reserve.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Remote Kansas
Reviewed 19 April 2010

This is an impressive hotel in an excellent location with a great staff. The Hyatt Regency fails to offer amenities that are available at hotels/motels that are half or even a third the cost. Wireless internet is an additional $9.99 through T-mobile. Coffee, which is normally available at no cost, (most hotels provide a coffee maker in your room) is available for $9.00 for a pot plus the $2.50 service charge plus 20% gratuity which is automatically added. Parking your car over night will cost you $14.50. I had to wait about 20 mins to get a waitress at Spectator's Bar and Grille (was not at all busy). The rooms are OK, nothing to brag about. Another thing to consider is Sales and Tourism taxes are in the 17-18% range. Unless you have ego issues that require staying in a marquee named hotel, I'd stay somewhere else. Maybe use the Hyatt's parking garage if you have to. I was disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Zalmanian
Roma
Reviewed 25 March 2010

We stayed two nights but I didn't like this place at all.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 March 2010

My wife and I spend several "getaway" weekends a year in KC and we decided to try this hotel. The location is great with easy access to Crown Center and Union Station. Now for the bad part. There were two conventions going on there during our stay and the staff could not care any less about you if you were not with one of the conventions. From check-in to check-out we did not exist. I asked for help with our bags when we checked in and was told to "wait". After 15 minutes of "waiting" we took care of it ourselves (while several others who checked in after us with one of the conventions were taken care of immediately). That sums up the rest of the stay. It was very obvious that they did not care about us, after all we were just two people in one room. Since that time we have taken the Hyatt chain off our list and will not ever stay in one again. I told a friend that we received much better service at the Hampton where we stayed the previous night on our trip to KC so why should I pay for a Hyatt!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple