“Another pleasant stay.”

Ranked #12 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Missouri
“Another pleasant stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

Every few years, I get the chance to visit Kansas City to attend a conference. Usually, this meeting is held at the Hyatt. Overall, my stay was very pleasant. Check-in could be improved by simply placing a sign informing those in line as to where the line should form. This would be especially helpful when many attendees arrive at the same time. The bellman was very polite and professional. The guest room was of typical size with a spacious and clean bathroom. The air conditioner struggled to keep the room cool. Someday soon, I hope hotels like the Hyatt drag themselves into the 21st century and provide a free internet connection. The meeting room was easy to find and was kept at a comfortable temperature even with a heat wave going on outside. As usual, the chairs were crammed so close together that a lot of empty seats were scattered throughout the room. Most conferences that I attend have the chairs placed too close for an adult audience. Makes me wonder if the person in charge of set-up ever thought to visit the room after it was filled with people. The food provided was exceptional. We were served a breakfast buffet and, later, an excellent lunch with dessert. I didn't dine in the restaurant or use many of the other features offered by the hotel, so I can't comment on those. I did use the "link" to move around the city, however, it was uncomfortably hot during the daytime.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Finnish first
fort worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

My wife and I went to Kansas City for our anniversary. We got a great deal on Priceline, $55 a night, first blessing. We got in late, around 1:00 in the morning. I was greeted by one the nicest person. I told her that we were visiting Kansas City on our anniversary and she gave us a free room upgrade, blessing #2. She put us on the 40th floor, corner room, full floor to wall windows. Beautiful room. My wife was speechless when we got to our room. The view of the city was gorgeous. Not only did she place us on the top floor, she also gave a coupon for a free breakfast during our stay. We valet parked our first night there, then the bellhop told us about a free parking garage down the street at a bank...blessing #3. Not only was it free for the duration of our trip, but it was covered parking. The housekeeping were on their jobs, kept the room clean and the towels fresh. The only disappointing thing about the hotel is that we watnted to have dinner at resturant on top of the building on the fourth of July. It was booked, had been booked for about 2 weeks. That was ok because we just laid in the room and watched all of the fireworks being displayed all over Kansas City, no bugs, no rain, no crowds..,.Blessing #4. Other than that the Hyatt Regency gets 4 Thumbs Up from the Jones'.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RoJo821
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

I'm not sure there was ANYTHING nice about this hotel. First, there are no coffee makers in the room. That's sad for a name like Hyatt. Parking was expensive--$14/night or $18 for valet. There was a leak in plumbing above us, and we were forced to move rooms. There are a minimum number of towels in the bathroom and our second room had no small towels at all. The workout facility was a dump, and the carpet was moldy as it's connected to the outdoor pool area. Ah, and to even get to the pool or workout area is a maze with no signs to help. The pool is boring, substandard semi-rooftop pool. The place in general is just old. There have been updates, but it can't hide the old hotel doors, ceilings, and walls. There were also one (and later two) dead birds that nobody bothered to dispose of on the small roof above the main entrance. You have to walk by it to get coffee or breakfast or almost anything else. Don't bother trying for a reservation in the Skies restaurant. They allowed us in to the lounge but said they were full for dinner. There were rows of empty tables for dinner! This place is such a disappointment. The clientele was marginal as well (much more of a motel crowd). Everything in this place was a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

I recently coordinated a meeting for over 150 guests. The hotel was a great place to host a meeting. Scott Palmberg, the Convention Service Manager and his staff were exceptional, making sure that all of the requirements for our meeting were attended to. The banquet staff and servers provide excellent service and the food was very good. The AV team was one of the best that I have seen at a hotel. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The front desk staff and the bell staff were efficient and very helpful. I appreciated all of the cooperation and the "can do" attitude of the entire hotel staff. A job well done!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Moonstone07
Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

Stayed one night and was a bit disappointed. That being said, the staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms were very small as well as the bathroom. I really felt claustrophobic in this room. The furniture and beds are updated and nice but there was a huge old TV sitting on the chest, like an afterthought. The bathroom was very clean but it so small it is hard to turn around and almost impossible for 2 people trying to get ready. The tub is one of the old style tiny tubs that they tried to dress up with a strip of granite. The down duvet on the bed was nice but the bed was a bit too firm for my taste. Our room was on the 28th floor and did have a beautiful city view. There was no coffee maker in the room and no complimentary coffee in the lobby. Had to go to the mezzanine to purchase. In my opinion, much better places to stay in KC.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Smithville, MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

We stayed at this hotel for the memorial day weekend. They offered a family getaway package which was about $40.00 or so more than the normal rooms per night. This was supposed to give us a free full breakfast, and in-room snacks for the kids. Well, come to find out the kids ate free breakfast anyways on the weekend, and it wasn't exactly a full breakfast, only the buffet. This would have cost around $28 if we paid for this separately. I would have expected the full breakfast to mean that I would be able to order off the breakfast menu, not be forced to resort to the buffet which did not have everything the breakfast menu would have provided. The snacks for the kids was one bag of popcorn, which was given to me upon check-in. The family package was just not worth it.
My next major complaint is the parking. In the hotel information booklet, it states that the parking is controlled by Crown Center, and the hotel does not have any say in the charges. Well, Crown Center parking is free on weekends. I could have parked less than a block away for free. Had I known this before parking in the Hyatt garage, I would have done that instead of the $14.50 per night to park.
A final and minor complaint I had was about the door locks. After putting in the key card, it always took several attempts to get the door to open. Once, we had to call the front desk from the hallway and they advised us to pull the handle up instead of down. This worked sometimes, but not always. There is nothing worse than sitting outside of your room hoping you didn't get locked out for some reason.
Overall the experience was average. Our family loved the pool, it offered a wonderful view. We all enjoyed the lobby, and staff was very friendly. If we were in an elevator with a staff member, they would always talk to the kids and were super nice. The waiters were efficient and polite. The room service was top notch. My daughter ordered the room service herself, and they were very polite to her and made her feel important. They brought it in and engaged in conversations with her as well. We loved being close to Crown Center and Union Station. The overhead walkways were a plus.
We may come back again, but only after parking somewhere else, and booking at the cheapest rate available.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank JohnyChevyEG
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

This was my first time staying at a Hyatt Regency. I was impressed. It is located next to the Crown Center. They are connected through a skywalk, which helps when it rains like it did while I was visiting. They hotel offers hotel shuttle service to and from the airport. I believe the cost is around $30 (roundtrip). Parking at the hotel is $14.50 per day int he parking deck, if you decide to drive.

They have an express check-in service, which is convient if there is a long line at the front desk. I did not use the express check-in, therefore I do not know how user friendly the system is. The staff at the front desk were very considerate in fulfilling any room requests.

This is one of the largest hotels I've stayed at in awhile. There were 40 floors. But even with that many floors, I never waited more than 2-3 minutes for an elevator. There is a sports bar located on the second level as well as a restaurant (Skies) located on the top floor. I went to Skies for drinks one evening. The drink prices were actually reasonable, which surprised me.

Overall, it was a great hotel in a great location. I would definitely stay here again when I visit Kansas City again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business