“Great hotel, great location”

Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We stay at this hotel every year. Nice hotel, clean rooms, friendly staff. It's attached via an above ground tunnel to crown center shopping mall. There's places to shop, eat etc.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center

Reviewed 9 October 2010

Well it was not my choice, but the 70's are alive and well here. The atrium style lobby has a decent layout but it is so dated in style, and colors. Need a total refurb. Rooms are OK - they've been updated, plenty of room but beds are poor. Not up to other Hyatt's in standard.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here while attending a conference in Kansas City. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The pool was nice, clean, and relaxing. The hotel has many amenities including a fitness center, several restaurants, and gift shop. There is a business center but you must pay to use the computers. I was a little disappointed by that. The hotel also has a spinning rooftop restaurant called Skies. (must see) It offers great views of the city. Our room was on the 37th floor. The views were terrific. My only complaint is that the hotel isn't walking distance to the convention center and downtown area where the Hilton, Marriott, and other hotels are. It's a short cab ride or a very long walk. Overall, we had a nice relaxing stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend. We were attending a WW I conference at the nearby WW I museum (fantastic place--everyone should visit there!!). We had not been to KC and it was a last minute trip, so I didn't have a lot of time to look into other hotels. We didn't want to stay way out in the suburbs because the conference began very early each morning and we wanted to be close to the site of the conference. We never stay at expensive hotels and now I remember why--you really get nothing for all that money. The only good thing I can say about this place is it was only minutes away from the WW I Museum (the conference was held at the museum, though, so no advantage to stay here except they had a shuttle to and from the confrence but we had rented a car so it did not matter). This hotel was recommended by the conference and we thought we were getting a good rate. I did look online before I booked and saw that AARP and government rates were a lot more, yet at $119 a night, I feel we overpaid. I did not look into other booking sites and should have. I think we could have saved a lot more money. The room was spotless, I have to say that--very clean. The bed was very comfortable. The walls were pretty thick so it was a quiet, good sleeping environment. Everything worked well in the room. There was a refrigerator and a safe in the room which was nice, but at that price, they should have one. Strange, but they had no phone book in the room. Also, they get a really limited selection of TV channels. You would expect more from a luxury hotel. I did not find the check-in people that friendly but they were adequate. You can get a free Wall Street Journal daily and free Sunday paper in the lobby area. We did not have time to check out the other facilities at the htoel because we were at the conference all day for two days. We were very disappointed that they did not have a free Internet business room (rates were $.54 per minute--unbelievable!). My husband did not bring his laptop and for some reason, his blackberry did not work anywhere in Kansas City (it worked fine before and worked fine in Independance) so we don't know why it would not work there, so that was not good that we could not access the Internet free. Nothing is free in this hotel except the newspapers. Parking was $14.50 which was a rip-off. I hate fo pay for parking. Had I read Trip Advisor before we went (my fault, but as I said it was a last minute trip), I would have found out there was free parking on weekends a block away, although that might have been far to carry all our bags. I will never stay in a "luxury" place again. You really get nothing for your money. We can get clean rooms at more moderate prices. I will certainly not stay in this 'rip-off' place again. I would only recommend it if you were traveling on business and your company was paying for it, but don't waste your own money because there are "no extras" at that price.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank VAvisitor
Reviewed 12 September 2010

The hotel is in a great urban location - close to most notable downtown attractions. 5 minutes by car to anything worth seeing in the city. Rates were competitive for the area, including parking. What set the Hyatt apart from its competitors was the impeccable service and cleanliness throughout the property. We stayed the night of our wedding reception in downtown Kansas City. We had about 5 rooms with our group. The hotel was extremely gracious and worked hard to ensure that all of our rooms would be clean and ready for check-in early. The woman who completed our check-in was very courteous and genuinely pleasant. Upon learning that we were the bride and groom, she extended our check-out time to 2pm.

The room (a standard king) was nicely appointed with chic decor and plush linen. It was clean, spacious, and the bed was wonderful! The view was also nice - a picturesque skyline of Kansas City.

We ordered room service around 3am. They explained that room service was technically closed, but they did have some sandwiches which had been prepared earlier in the evening. They were still delicious and the service was excellent... a pleasant surprise at that hour. We ate the morning breakfast buffet, which was $15 per person and only mediocre... but to be expected at a hotel restaurant.

Check-out was simple and all of the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We would definitely return to the Hyatt. It offered a central location, safe environment, and favorable accomodations without the upscale attitude.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Stayed there on a couple of occasions.

As the title says, it's ok, but I would expect something more grom a Hyatt.

It has mini-swimming pool and a gym.. Normal breakfast..

Normal rooms. Via the 'tunnel' you can also go the mall next to it or to the Westin hotel.

As said, it's ok but don't expect anything more.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank alexandrosg
Reviewed 3 September 2010

For an older conference hotel, the Hyatt is not too bad. The rooms look like they have been recently renovated. The beds, linens and towels are fine. The bathroom was large. I didn't hear any room to room noise.

But there are several small problems that keep this from being a first class hotel. First there is the musty odor in the lobby. Then the key cards that don't work on the first, second, third try. I overheard someone else in the elevator saying she had to try her keycard several times before the light turned green and she was able to open her room door. The safe in my room did not work. The electrical sockets in the bathroom were old and the hairdryer plug kept falling out of the socket. It's not easy to hold the dryer with one hand and hold the plug in with the other! Also, the TV is not a flatscreen, which is no big deal just odd. All the hotels I stay in now have flat screens.

Also of note, there is nothing in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. No restaurants, no shops, no where to grab a coffee. The downtown area is about a 10 block walk, which is walkable, but not convenient for a quick cup of coffee or a sandwich.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business