“Can't believe this is a Marriott”

Kansas City Airport Marriott
Ranked #65 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've been to quite a few mariotts and this one is by far the worst I've stayed at. While the location is convenient, the rooms are small and dated. I am only 5'4" and I actually hit my hand on the shower ceiling washing my hair. Housekeeping was spotty and inconsistent; some days I would come in after 5pm and my room had not yet been made up. There were also several days when cleaning cloths had been left in my room. All in all, not impressed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Worldwidelunas
cpodo038, General Manager at Kansas City Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Kansas City Airport Marriott. Your review helped us identify areas of improvement and training. We apologize that we did not live up to your or our expectations. You are a valued customer and I hope we have the opportunity to have you back and have you experience the value of our Brilliant Hosts.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This is a nice place to stay if you want to be close to the airport. Rooms are clean, staff is friendly. Rooms could use some updating, but generally nice.

Top floor in the south wing has high vaulted ceilings, makes the room feel huge. East (main) building has corner suites with large windows that overlook the lake.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The front desk staff are very nice and professional. However the housekeeping staff needs a lot of improvement. The hallways on the way to our room were littered and needed vacuuming. The bathroom had black strands of hair all over it as well as the bath towels. The next morning we were awakened at 8:30 AM to a housekeeper knocking on our door wanting to clean the room. I thought perhaps someone had removed the Do Not Disturb sign as a prank during the night. I could not believe a housekeeper would knock on a door with a DNS sign on it, but sure enough I opened the door and the DNS sign was hanging right on the door handle.
The lounge was very nice and the bartender Tommy was excellent. We were also very surprised to have a complimentary breakfast Buffett. The Buffett was great and the personal omelet station was nice. The lady making the omelets and waffles did a great job.
The complimentary airport shuttle service was nice as well, since we did not have a vehicle.
Overall, very nice stay except for the housekeeping problems.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kristina B, Director of Hotel Operations at Kansas City Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Munchie70,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience at our hotel. It is great to receive comments. And this allows us to discuss together, as a hotel team, to help further strengthen our operations. We are very sorry to hear you have experienced different service levels during your time with us. We always try to provide each guest with excellent service, and unfortunately we were not able to achieve this with you. Our Director of Housekeeping and I will personally take actions and continue training our staff.

What we are most proud of here are our associates … their dedication and commitment to customer service, as well providing memorable experiences for our guests. Thank you for noticing our Front Desk Team, our Omelet Chef and Tommy, our bartender. They have tremendous passion for their craft and truly appreciate the ‘art of hosting.’ Please know how much we appreciate this recognition.

Thank you and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed for a week, really nice. Large rooms fully equipped for extended stays. Kitchenette, full size fridge, big desk to work from. Wi-Fi works great. Staff was really helpful and was genuinely concerned about our comfort. My new place to stay in Kansas City.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are the best but there is an elevator.
Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NeMarkW
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Property looks exactly as it did in the 1970's, however is kept up pretty well. Carpets could use replacing and dining room could use a remodel. Staff was very friendly and our room on the concierge level was huge. Very quiet and no airport noise. I will stay here again when in town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bob H, Exec. Admin. Assist. to the GM at Kansas City Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Bocagrlz,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Kansas City Airport Marriott--and thank you for staying with us for so many years; we appreciate both of these!
And I'd like to let you know that over the next two years you will be seeing major changes here at the hotel, as we have numerous projects in the works to upgrade and modernize the hotel. I hope you will keep coming back so you can see all the changes as they happen.
Thank you!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Their shuttle not only picks you up at the airport but they will also take you to local restaurants. As noted by other reviewers, the rooms are very quiet without any airport noise. I was there for a conference and the hotel staff serving the various buffets were extremely helpful and accommodating. The buffet options were also pretty good as those things go.

On the other hand, I was surprised that the towels were not very plush.The hotel restaurant is passable. The fitness center is somewhat small, but all the machines were in working order.

Room Tip: It has a somewhat strange layout, as if it has been added on to several times.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Larry P.,
Thank you for your feedback; we really appeciate it when our guests provide us with perspective on their experience here at the Kansas City Airport Marriott.
I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay, but do apologize for the towels. You are correct that the towels should be plush, so I will definitely pass this on to the Housekeeping department.
I would also apologize that our restaurant, T-Bone Charlie's, was not a brilliant experience for you; that too I will pass on to the correct leader.
I hope you will keep coming back and allowing us to be your hosts; I know you will be impressed with all the upgrades and changes we are making over the next two years.
Thank you!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stay in plenty of Marriotts and almost always have a good experience. My comments may sound picky, but our experience here was not in line with what we have come to expect. The bathroom was small and showed a fair amount of wear. Towels were yellowed. No bottle of water as is per usual. Our biggest complaint is that there were no linens for the fold out bed in the room. They were (promptly) brought but there was no comforter nor blanket. When I called housekeeping, they said they had none. How is this possible to have NO blankets or comforters? Normally, most Marriotts offer breakfast in the dining room when the concierge lounge is closed on the weekend. This one offered just a continental breakfast in its stead. Again, really? Is it worth the impression they are giving to loyal Marriott customers? Even the employee (very cordial) at the front desk expressed how embarrassed they are when they have to inform guests of this cheap policy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Parisajamais
Bob H, Executive Admin. Assistant to the GM at Kansas City Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Parisajamais,
Thank you for taking time to fill out this review. I am so sorry you were not happy with aspects of your experience here at the Kansas City Airport Marriott. We truly do try to provide the best service possible, but we obviously failed for you and for that I profusely apologize.
I hope you will come back and give us another opportunity to show you the service standards we truly provide. Also, we have some major projects coming up over the next couple of years which will completely change how the lobby, front desk, restaurant and bar look. Plus we will be updating our guest rooms and floors too so I hope you will keep coming back so you can see us getting better and better.
Thank you and please accept my apologies; that is not how we want you remember your experience with us at the Kansas City Airport Marriott.