“OK For early morning flights”

Kansas City Airport Marriott
Ranked #65 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First, the good. The staff here is great. Very friendly and helpful at the front desk; the airport shuttle service runs every 20 minutes starting at 4:20am. Return your rental if you have one the night before and take the shuttle in the morning; just call the front desk and they'll pick you up at the rental center. Every bit a Marriott on that count.

As others have noted, this property is really showing its age. While the staff keep the place clean, the furniture and rooms are clearly worn; our door was a bit "sticky" getting it open and closed. But, if you're only here for one night to catch a flight the next day, it's fine. For its age, 179 a night is a bit steep.

As Fun8s noted, we had a room on the top floor of the south wing, and the high vaulted ceiling definitely makes the room feel very big. Nice views of the lake as well.

Room Tip: Top floor, south wing
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chuck O, General Manager at Kansas City Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback and kind words about the staff. We have many plans to upgrade our hotel in the coming months.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I only spent one night at this hotel before an early morning flight out of MCI. I stayed about an half an hour away for the rest of my trip. Given what I now know, I should have stayed here and made the 30 minute trip to/from my business ever day. This hotel was much nicer and cost significantly less than where I stayed. It is sort of hard to believe that this hotel cost about 25% less than the hotel in nowhereville.

The room was a bit on the small side, reminded me somewhat of most European hotels, but was well appointed and had everything one might need in a room. The bed was super comfy with very nice linens.

I did notice that the ceiling was low in the bathroom, especially in the tub/shower. Evidently due to remodeling/updating and structural limitations. I am 6'2" and did not hit my head.

I do have a complaint about electrical outlets. There is a desk/table that is set up for computer use in the room. There is some sort of box that has an ethernet connection (remember wired internet?) but for the life of me, I could not find an electrical outlet to plug in the charger for my phone! I was surprised that, at a desk set up for computer use, there were not and abundance of available outlets. There might have been an outlet hidden somewhere but I did not feel like moving furniture to find it. I found an outlet available on the bedside lamp.

All told, a very nice attractive and well run hotel. A good value

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CR_Drifter
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've been to quite a few mariotts and this one is by far the worst I've stayed at. While the location is convenient, the rooms are small and dated. I am only 5'4" and I actually hit my hand on the shower ceiling washing my hair. Housekeeping was spotty and inconsistent; some days I would come in after 5pm and my room had not yet been made up. There were also several days when cleaning cloths had been left in my room. All in all, not impressed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Worldwidelunas
cpodo038, General Manager at Kansas City Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Kansas City Airport Marriott. Your review helped us identify areas of improvement and training. We apologize that we did not live up to your or our expectations. You are a valued customer and I hope we have the opportunity to have you back and have you experience the value of our Brilliant Hosts.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This is a nice place to stay if you want to be close to the airport. Rooms are clean, staff is friendly. Rooms could use some updating, but generally nice.

Top floor in the south wing has high vaulted ceilings, makes the room feel huge. East (main) building has corner suites with large windows that overlook the lake.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The front desk staff are very nice and professional. However the housekeeping staff needs a lot of improvement. The hallways on the way to our room were littered and needed vacuuming. The bathroom had black strands of hair all over it as well as the bath towels. The next morning we were awakened at 8:30 AM to a housekeeper knocking on our door wanting to clean the room. I thought perhaps someone had removed the Do Not Disturb sign as a prank during the night. I could not believe a housekeeper would knock on a door with a DNS sign on it, but sure enough I opened the door and the DNS sign was hanging right on the door handle.
The lounge was very nice and the bartender Tommy was excellent. We were also very surprised to have a complimentary breakfast Buffett. The Buffett was great and the personal omelet station was nice. The lady making the omelets and waffles did a great job.
The complimentary airport shuttle service was nice as well, since we did not have a vehicle.
Overall, very nice stay except for the housekeeping problems.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kristina B, Director of Hotel Operations at Kansas City Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Munchie70,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience at our hotel. It is great to receive comments. And this allows us to discuss together, as a hotel team, to help further strengthen our operations. We are very sorry to hear you have experienced different service levels during your time with us. We always try to provide each guest with excellent service, and unfortunately we were not able to achieve this with you. Our Director of Housekeeping and I will personally take actions and continue training our staff.

What we are most proud of here are our associates … their dedication and commitment to customer service, as well providing memorable experiences for our guests. Thank you for noticing our Front Desk Team, our Omelet Chef and Tommy, our bartender. They have tremendous passion for their craft and truly appreciate the ‘art of hosting.’ Please know how much we appreciate this recognition.

Thank you and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed for a week, really nice. Large rooms fully equipped for extended stays. Kitchenette, full size fridge, big desk to work from. Wi-Fi works great. Staff was really helpful and was genuinely concerned about our comfort. My new place to stay in Kansas City.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are the best but there is an elevator.
Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NeMarkW
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Property looks exactly as it did in the 1970's, however is kept up pretty well. Carpets could use replacing and dining room could use a remodel. Staff was very friendly and our room on the concierge level was huge. Very quiet and no airport noise. I will stay here again when in town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bob H, Exec. Admin. Assist. to the GM at Kansas City Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Bocagrlz,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Kansas City Airport Marriott--and thank you for staying with us for so many years; we appreciate both of these!
And I'd like to let you know that over the next two years you will be seeing major changes here at the hotel, as we have numerous projects in the works to upgrade and modernize the hotel. I hope you will keep coming back so you can see all the changes as they happen.
Thank you!