“If I was Holiday Inn...I would not have my name on this hotel!!!”

Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska
“If I was Holiday Inn...I would not have my name on this hotel!!!”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We arrived at the hotel and the first impression was questionable. But it was only for one night so make the best of it. We received our room key and upon exiting the elevator were met with trash bags of dirty laundry sitting in the hallway and continuing down to the room. Upon arriveal in the room, the room was dark and had a musty odor. The final straw however was dark black cobwebs aligning the top of the valance!! Too bad Holiday Inn put resources into a remodel of a property that has no pride and cleanliness. Would not reccommend anyone to stay here!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed here one night before traveling to a wedding. There were two desk clerks when we checked in. Neither one directed us to the elevator or told us we would be climbing stairs. The hotel is shaped in a U, and the elevators are a bit of a walk. While my husband parked the car in the underground garage, I took a luggage cart to the room. Only 2 people and a luggage cart fit in the elevator. The elevator serves only one side of the U. So after pulling the cart around the U, I was faced with a half flight of stairs. Thinking I had taken the wrong elevator, I returned to the lobby only to be told there were stairs. I met up with my husband and we retraced the stairs. If you are alone with much luggage have them get you a bellboy! The hotel could use some updating but is in a good location to the Plaza. We also went to the bar one evening, and the bartender/server gave very poor service. Stay here for the location but don't expect any service!

• Stayed August 2011
Derby, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I have never been impressed with Holiday Inn Hotels. This one even though was somewhat remodeled...was still a disappointment. One person actually working the front desk, the "supervisor" who was there just stood around and answered the phone from time to time. Once we were finally checked in it was then the hunt for the elevator. HINT: go down the hallway by the front desk and go to the right. no signs really though of where the elevator is. got up to the hotel room...and it was on ok room for the most part. We though had to go to Wal-Mart to get an extension cord as there were very few electrical outlets in the room. For someone who has a Bi-pap or a C-pap machine...the only outlet by the bed is behind the bed which is being used for the lights and alarm clock.

the bed was comfortable and we didn't attempt to eat at the restaurant. Close to lots of places for food since you are near the Plaza and only a few miles from the Power & Light District. The parking sucks though. For the amount of rooms that they have there is not enough parking for all the rooms. They offer parking in their garage which is impossible to park any type of car in. We had to ask if there was any additional parking and the night desk guy (super friendly) said that we could park in the lot behind the hotel that is with the Homestead Suites.

For what we paid...I was disappointed. Next time I am in KC I will be staying downtown in the Power & Light District and just pay the extra money for the convenience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmyRae1980
Iowa
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We reserved a room at this Holiday Inn to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary! We stayed three nights and had a fabulous time. Ashley checked us in and took care of everything... even gave us complementary drink vouchers and added the romance package (champagne and strawberries) for our anniversary night. We had no problems with parking in the underground parking garage. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast every morning. On Saturday, it was a full breakfast buffet with everything you could ever desire for breakfast. This Holiday Inn is within walking distance of the Plaza and all their shops, but the hotel shuttle will take you anywhere you want within 3 miles radius and pick you up and bring you back to the hotel. The shuttle drivers gave us their number for whenever we needed them. The outdoor pool was clean and perfect after a full day of sight-seeing. The beds in the room were comfortable, too. Everyone was friendly: the waitresses, bartender, front desk, and shuttle drivers! We give the Holiday Inn at the Plaza an A+.

Room Tip: Get on the Holiday Inn website and sign up for priority club card for perks. That is what got us the...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I've stayed at this Holiday Inn about 4 times in the last year, won't stay again.

Normally when I come to KC I stay in the plaza and at the holiday inn. Every time but this trip has been good.

Check in was a hassle. They really need to hire more staff or retrain the ones they have. I stood in line at least 20 minutes before being helped and I'm priority club, gold.
I payed cash this trip because I lost my wallet right before I left. They asked for a $100 cash deposit.
Got up to my room (421) and it smelled like cigarette smoke. The rooms are nice the beds are comfy.
Went to take a shower and realized there was no toilet paper. Really...?
Front desk was rude when I called. Called for room service and they had to run back downstairs to break my $100. 30 Minutes later I got my change, though she had helped herself to a tip.
The bed sheets had a stain in them, yellow looking. Luckily two beds and the other was clean.
Check out should have been a breeze. But I lost $100 when they accused me of smoking in the room.
I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The Hotel Stay room was nice, and the front desk staff was pleasant. Really enjoyed the fact that I could wak a couple of blocks down the road to the Plaza (specifically Jack Stack's bar'b'que which was recommended to us by the front desk clerk). The underground parking was convenient however not secure. A member of my party's car was broken into, despite the large conspicuous steel gates supposedly guarding guest vehicles from interlopers. This would not have been so bad if this had been an isolated incident, however one other quest (unknown to us) also reported theft/and or vanalism to their vehicles the night before the theft happened to my friends car. The guests were not warned. During our stay I also requested that a plunger be brought up to my room. The maintenance man complained to me upon his arrival. I ended up taking the plunger from him and doing the job myself. Not that I minded, but I felt his attitude was unprofessional and not something I really wanted to hear.

To make this hotel better: They need a secure garage with cameras to prevent theft (perhaps magnetic card reader access only?), maintenance staff needs an attitude adjustment, extra plungers so the guests can keep them in their rooms in case they think they need them, better toilets (those didn't flush very well). Other than that, the hotel was fine. Really thought the front desk clerks were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SFOLover
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Took a group of students to KC and we messed up on our reservations- the manager was wonderful and got us 8 rooms at the last minute and even gave us a wonderful breakfast! She saved our trip and insured my students had the best time! Plus SO close to all the beautiful museums!!

• Stayed July 2011