“A bit over-priced for condition.”

Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Des Moines
“A bit over-priced for condition.”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We booked our fourth-anniversary stay there because of the largest pool KC mentioned in their description. But we found out it had closed after Labor Day even though it still has been in the 60's by day since then. The booking said free breakfast included which they told us cost $10.95 after we were seated. It was $7.95 the next morning for non-buffet breakfast. The buffet was out of all breads and rolls and biscuit gravy by 10am on a Sunday. I guess the college team staying there ate it all. We are priority club members but received no coupons at check-in for breakfast or welcome basket with cookies either. I raided their kitchen Saturday night looking for a set of forks to eat our cheesecake factory slices with in the room. While I was back there. I heard a Holiday Inn employee sit a wedding party in the closed bar. The bride asked for some cocaine for a pool party. I snuck out before I saw if he brought it to her or not. I think they were looking for afterhours booze. I left the forks in the room but the maid didn't return them to the kitchen so I brought them down the next day with breakfast and left them on the table. The toilet tank imprint date shows that the hotel was made in 1967 and it doesn't look like they spent a time on it since then with all of the rooms and halls having outdated wallpaper. It was a tad pricey with the rooms in the condition that they are in. Andrew's shuttle service for $5 to the Country Club area around the corner is the one redeeming quality. We didn't have to move our car the entire time we were there.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Our experience started with an hours wait in line to check in. We got to our room and it was 1 bed instead of the 2 we had reserved. They did quickly change this and apologize. The parking garage was nice and secure, if you could get the door to open all the way, had to back up many times to get it to open. We were awakened by our neighbors at 1:30am and they were very loud until after 3am. The maid in the hotel left several things unattended to. Our door didn't shut on its own, it had to be pushed or pulled shut so safety was a big issue. The hotel did nothing to try and correct any of the issues and it really felt like a big waste of money. I expected more from Holiday Inn, and more from a hotel near the plaza. I would expect that if I pay $119 a night that the hotel would be much nicer, it felt seedy and dark. The only updates I could see were new carpet and nice linens on the rock hard bed. Also, our curtains didn't shut all the way, leaving an inch gap. I will never stay here again nor will I recommend it to anyone. The 4 of us who stayed there were very disappointed with our stay and felt it was a waste of money. The only bright spot was Amy at the front desk who was helpful when changing our room and was very nice and courteous to all the guests she helped.

Room Tip: Choose another area hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 November 2011

After arriving late, exhausted and ravenous because of flight delays, I was warmly greeted by the front desk attendant, Amy, and offered a huge cookie to abate my hunger. Amy and Bryan (at the bar) continued to warmly greet me and make me feel at home during my stay. Thanks to you both!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Lufkin, Texas
Reviewed 24 October 2011

After a bad experience at another hotel the night before we tried the Holiday Inn at the Plaza. Andrew at the desk was extremely helpful and understanding of our experience at the other hotel. He gave us some perks for our bad experience. He also drives the HI shuttle bus and can take you where you need to go in the Plaza area. he knows great places to eat and things to do. He bent over backwards to be helpful to us. The next morning at breakfast, Diva led us to our table, promptly got us some juice and coffee, and made us feel like we were part of her family. The breakfast was great with a delicious variety of hot and cold foods. The fruit was so fresh I thought they had just gotten it from a garden. There were assorted pastries, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, hash browns, and other choices i can't remember. There were lots of choices on their buffet. The room was clean and the air worked great. I wish the beds had been a little more comfortable. Overall it was a wonderful experience. If they had an indoor pool and spa it would have been fantastic. (Their outdoor pool was closed for the season.) I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My family and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, MO. The hotel was clean and bright and the staff was great! The employees at the Holiday Inn were very helpful and kind. The rooms were clean, affordable and the pool was very nice. The location was perfect, central to freeways and close to shopping and dining. The best part of the stay was the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon -- available to guests in the lobby. I would recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Climax Springs, Missouri
Reviewed 18 September 2011

This stay at this Holiday inn was great. Such a difference than last year! From the front desk who are always friendly, helpful and professional. To the clean and comfortable rooms. We had a King room on the 3rd floor, great view of the plaza. Love the comfy bed and choice of pillows, firm for my husband and soft for me. Gone are the damp smelly carpet! Clean dry and wonderful. Replaced all the heating and cooling units. The hallways are decorated with nice carpet and new comfy chairs on the first level. The other halls are nice wish the lighting was a little brighter. Even the outdoor pool looked clean although it was not open (seasonal).
The Lobby and ballroom area even got a great makeover.
We received a complementary breakfast buffet because I am a member of the Priority Club. It was a good selection of breakfast items and server was wonderful.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone, even the family members who where unhappy last July. Wish they all had the chance to try it again. I hope they will.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 September 2011

It was a girls weekend away and EVERYONE from the shuttle driver, to the reservation person, to the restaurant waitress were awesome. You will never find a better group of people who actually care about their guests. They all made it enjoyable and we will diffeniately be back next year.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends