“Nice staff and clean rooms”

Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GP, TX
“Nice staff and clean rooms”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Situated very close to convention center and downtown area, clean rooms, and friendly service. Taxi's to casino's avaliable for around $25. All and all I would stay here again.

1 Thank Ann L
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Ann,
We appreciate your feedback. At Holiday Inn we strive to provide "Great Hotels that Guests Love"! Your comments are affirmation that we are succeeding!

Thanks again,

Assistant Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was a very welcoming hotel. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. Rooms were very neat and clean.

1 Thank Wadytwos
Wadytwos,
On behalf of the Team at the Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza I would like to thank you for staying with us. Our staff will appreciate your feedback as this is what they strive for everyday- happy guests! We hope that you will choose us the next time you come to Kansas City.

Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My experience started with this hotel 2 days before I got there. I called and asked if I could get a refrigerator put in my room. Ashley told me I could, but I would have to call and request it. I told her that's what I was doing "right now." She was very unhelpful and told me that, "You can request it all you want, but no one will see it." Hmmm...turns out what her point was that I needed to call the morning I was to check-in. I did. I called on 4/19 and got a woman who was equally as rude, but told me she could "try." Upon check in the late-evening of 4/19, the employees were incredibly rude. Horrible service. She rolled her eyes when I again asked for a refrigerator and said, "I'll ask, but I think there are only two left." Well....can I have one of those two? The rest of my stay, the front desk attendants were great.
The restaurant: don't waste your time or your money. And trust me....you will use LOTS of both.
This hotel looks like it hasn't been updated since the 1970s. Our room had tiles falling out of the wall in the shower, and the shower head was loose.
*** THE BEDS ARE LIKE SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR. I have never felt beds that were like concrete. We were there with over 30 people, and all of us agreed that bringing an air-matress would have been a better option. So, no sleep for 3 nights.
The shuttle and its drivers are fantastic...however, they will only take you 3 miles from the hotel. But the drivers were wonderful.
The parking garage: oh my goodness. What a nightmare. It is configured for a bunch of Honda Civics I guess....but in my Expedition it took me 20 minutes to park each night. And since the spots are so small, my doors are now dinged on both sides because of other drivers getting into their cars.
On the plus side, the hotel is very close to the shopping and restaurants in the plaza. It's a nice walk.
Overall, there are tons of hotels in KC, and this will never be my choice again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GFTraveling
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
I am greatly disappointed to hear that you received less than stellar service from our staff before and upon your arrival. It is through your feedback that our management team is able to address these matters and continually improve our customer service. Rest assured that we will take action based upon this feedback.

You mentioned difficulty finding parking for your large SUV during your stay. We have two levels of secure indoor parking, one of which has signage noting it is for SUV's and trucks. I apologize if this wasn't clear- we will look for ways to improve our communication of this to our guests.

I can also tell you that we have ordered new mattresses for our guests comfort. I am sorry that these had not yet arrived for your stay.

Once again, I thank you for your honest feedback and assure you that it will be used to continually improve our service for all of our guests.

Dallas
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have been on many volleyball trips, to many volleyball tournaments in many cities and this was by far the very worst hotel we have ever stayed at. Checking in was fine, although not staffed to handled so many people checking in which should have been accommodated knowing that so many people would be checking in that night. Immediately when you walk in it is musty and old smelling. Overall pretty clean it just felt old and musty and yucky. The beds were hard as a rock, felt like sleeping on plywood, the blankets ugh, I did not get any sleep and I definitely was not "RELAXING" at this hotel. The toilet was so low to the ground you felt like you were sitting on the floor to use the restroom, the towels were like sandpaper. The air was so dry and the noise from the outdated a/c vent was so loud and just gross. The pool was empty with a dirty broom and dust pan in it, there were no lounge chairs if you wanted to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather. There was not a store or even a place to buy small items. Overall for the price (and we even got a discount) was not worth it, it should have been priced more in the $70-$80 a night hotel. The area of town it was in was nice, close the Plaza that was the only plus to this hotel. Like I said if I was paying in the $70-$80 price range then it would be expected but over $130 a night was absolutely absurd. I will NEVER stay at a Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room at this hotel
1 Thank AJ L
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our hotel. We are sincerely apologetic for the experience you had with us not being everything you expected.

The linens we use are the Holiday Inn brand standard are most of our guests love these linens. I do understand that not everyone likes the same thing and I am sorry that they did not suit you.

The weekend you were here we had many volleyball teams stay with us. We offered a full breakfast buffet for only $7.50 as a special discount- this is as much as $10 less than other hotels in the area. The feedback we received from most of the teams was very positive and appreciated the value offered and speed of service that the buffet offered.

Please feel free to contact me about your experience and I will be happy to discuss with you further.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Amy was quick and efficient, Bryan did a great job at the bar.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank nomadic2564
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Once again, it is great to hear praise for our "Friendliest Staff on the Plaza". We apprecate you choosing our hotel as your home away from home and thank you for your feedback. We will pass along your feedback to Amy and Bryan.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I recommend staying at the plaza. The people are polite and friendly and the stay is always relaxing. I especially recommend the lounge. The food is good and the drinks are made right. Simone at the bar is one of the best bartenders I have ever and encountered and she is a joy to talk to!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank buzzard6943501
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is always great to hear praise for our wonderful staff- we will certainly pass along your kind words to Simone. We strive to be the "friendliest hotel on the Plaza". We hope you will stay with us on your next visit to Kansas City!
anytown
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I suppose I could have given a higher rating if the price were super cheap - but it wasn't - even through an online, blind selection discount site. The Holiday Inn price was ridiculous for a property which should probably not still carry the Holiday Inn franchise. Very outdated hotel. Layout is weird and extremely inconvenient. Parking garage is a pain, in that the pedestrian route is confusing - especially when the main elevator is out of service. Once in the garage, there is no way to exit (no walk-through doors) unless you're in a car and can activate the roll-down door.

I would definitely look at surrounding properties - or better yet, unless there's some reason you have to stay at Country Club - find another location altogether. I was very disappointed with how rough this area has become. It's still upscale through the day, but you'd better get out before dark! Homeless everywhere and almost a riotous atmosphere.

Room Tip: For a good room:.....Get the heck out of this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us as it is through feedback that we are able to improve. We are very apologetic for any confusion you had with our parking garage. There are two sets of elevators and also a pedestrian exit so I'm not sure what happened. We strive to ensure that all guests are completely satisfied with all aspects of their stay with us and once we are aware of any dissatisfaction we make every effort to resolve an issue.