“It's a Holiday Inn, But That's OK”

Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is your basic Holiday Inn. It appears as though the rooms have been refreshed fairly recently. The beds are very good; my room had a large HDTV. The staff was friendly and helpful. On the basis of my breakfast, I'd recommend going elsewhere. It was barely adequate. It's hard to mess up oatmeal; but the cook did so. Fruit I ordered off the menu was only barely ripe. Still, this is what I expect at an HI. You get what you pay for (a decent value for the money) and I have no serious complaint.
'

Room Tip: The hotel makes much of the fact that it's close the Country Club Plaza shopping and restauract...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

TJHESQ,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your kind words about our friendly and helpful staff- we strive to make our guests feel at home, while away from home. I am sorry that our cook didn't prepare your oatmeal as desired; we guarantee 100% satisfaction and would have happily provided you a properly cooked meal if you had brought it to our attention at the time.
One tip: we do offer a complimentary shuttle that will take you anywhere on the Plaza and/or bring you back from the Plaza.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share you experience. We use this feedback to continually improve. Please stay with us again the next time you come to Kansas City.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We were looking for a weekend away with little to no plan other than we were driving to Kansas City and wanted to be near the Country Club Plaza. Upon arriving, we settled into our room and went to the hotel bar where we met the best bartender, Simone. She is well versed in the culture and great food in Kansas City. She also keeps it real with the utmost professionalism. She led us to thePlaza Three steakhouse, what an incredible dinner! The shuttle will take you and pick you up within three miles. We didn't drive all weekend, it was wonderful. The drivers were courteous and accurate about how long it would take to be picked up. Tip the drivers, they are wonderful.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor right around the corner from the lobby. Very easy, and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Claire,
Thank you for your review of our hotel! Our shuttle service is very convenient and as you said you can park your car in our complimentary garage and we will shuttle you around your whole stay. There are over 150 shops and dozens of great restaurants within the shuttle range. We appreciate your praise for our staff, I will be sure to forward those comments to them!

We hope to see you again when you come back to Kansas City!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was my first time staying here in this hotel...it offered everything we could have wanted in a hotel stay for the weekend in the Country Club Plaza. There was room service, a restaurant, free internet, shuttle service and a very helpful staff. They even gave me a free buffet breakfast because of my affliation with the Dept. of Defense. Will be staying here again...

Room Tip: All the rooms we had were amazing...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Marie,
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and are happy that you enjoyed your visit to Kansas City and the Country Club Plaza. We hope that you will visit us again the next time your travels bring you to Kansas City!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Great accommodations and great service. Thanks. It was a pleasure to stay there. Everyone was very gracious and wanted only to be of assistance. No problems were encountered and I enjoyed a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Ugausa,
Thanks you so much for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed you stay and hope that you will choose us again the next time you come to Kansas City.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Hotel staff was extraordinary. We came for the All-Star game and the atmosphere was so positive. Room was pet friendly and nice area to walk pups as it was quiet out back. Restuarant was good with very efficient wait staff.

Room Tip: Rough passage from lobby to hotel area on a steep rampt that must be an accommodation fro ADA but ha...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

GraceRays,
Thank you for your glowing review of our property- once again we have been successful in our mission to be a "Great Hotel that Guests Love". If your travels bring you back to Kansas City we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stay here 2-5 times a year, 4-5 nights at a time, when visiting family in KC. The rooms are always clean and the beds are comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. As a frequent traveler for work, my complaints are tiny and nitpicky, but a few minor adjustments would help a great deal.

I would echo the complaint about the blackout shades not closing completely, and also that the TV remote doesn't work when you're sitting anywhere other than the bed, so you have to move a chair in order to watch TV while sitting up. And more outlets near the bed would be great. I use my phone as an alarm, so if it's about to die before I'm going to bed, I have to plug it in across the room to charge it overnight.

The food (I have eaten both in the restaurant and via room service) isn't great. It would also be nice to have some lighter choices (some steamed veggies and maybe a chicken noodle soup), rather than the standard heavier Midwestern fare. Also, since room service waitstaff are no longer allowed to place tables on beds, it would be nice to have a small table in the room. I always use the desk for my laptop, and had to quickly shove it out of the way when my order arrived.

There is a coffee maker in the room, but there are never enough condiment packages for me to make a decent cup of coffee, since there's only one sugar packet in each one. I end up buying sugar and creamer to keep in my room. Also, there is only coffee....some tea bags would be nice as well.

My biggest complaint would be the tight parking spaces in the parking garage. There are huge support columns that allow three parking slots in between, but if all slots are filled, you can barely get the car doors open. Usually the first person will park in the center, which then discourages anyone parking on either side. And the last time I was there I squeezed into a slot, but was so close to the next car that I pulled back out and readjusted, and then hit one of the posts on the other side, causing almost $3000 in damage to the rental car. (I know, if it were my own car it wouldn't have cost nearly as much.)

One great thing about the hotel is Brian the bartender. He works in the hotel bar and can whip up a drink with anything you're even remotely curious about, and has a story for almost every liquor there. You should go just for him!

So to sum it up, super clean, friendly hotel in a great location with minor inconveniences in the room and if you're great at parking and don't mind squeezing in and out of your car, it's well worth the money.

Room Tip: The single king rooms are slightly more expensive than the double queens, but will feel a lot larger...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Kim W,
We appreciate your repeat and continuing business with our hotel. Your feedback is very valuable to us and we are implementing some changes based on your feedback. We will be adding some lighter choices to our menus for our health conscious guests. Please know that we are happy to provide you with as many condiment packages and coffee packs as you like- please just call the front desk and they will bring them to your room.

Thank you again for your feedback- it is how we improve!

Reviewed 4 January 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at this hotel on a short get-away. Great location for the Country Club Plaza and the Westport area. Clean, comfortable, quiet room. We also liked the secure underground parking. But the 5 stars goes to the friendly professional staff. Everyone seemed genuine in trying to make our visit as pleasurable as possible. A great evening highlight were the visits with Simone in the hotel lounge. She served as our trip advisor to the Kansas City area and kept us laughing the whole time. Great Place. Recommended

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John G

John G,
We are happy that you chose our property for your Kansas City get-away! Nothing makes our staff feel better than to hear the kind of praise you mention in your review! As I have said many times this is what we strive for: to make our guests feel like family and friends. Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendation!