“Very clean and quite”

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Cambridge, Minnesota
“Very clean and quite”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel staff were all friendly and helpful, room was clean as well as the entry way mad main desk area. They offer shuttle service so no need to drive. Great location to downtown and close to the mall. Many places within walking distance. Only down fall is the parking spaces in the ramp are a little to close to each other where door dings will occur.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
mrp789,
Your feedback is most appreciated. Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly helpful staff and clean hotel. Our staff considers these comments their greatest reward for their daily efforts to provide the best possible experience for our guests.

While parking is always a premium in the middle of a large commercial district we have continued to manage to offer complimentary parking while many others in the area charge for this.

You literally can park your entire stay and we will take care of the driving for you. With so many shopping, dining, and entertainment establishments in the area there is no need to venture far away from the hotel.

We hope that you will stay with us on your next visit to Kansas City!

Assistant Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Our room looked fairly recently renovated and was clean. Hallways and other parts of the hotel look dated and a little dirty. We went to bed around 10:45pm on a Friday (yesterday) and it was a little noisy but not enough to bother us too much. At 1:45am, the party was on with yelling and laughing and woke up my husband and I and our son. We called the front desk to complain at about 2:30 after hoping that it would settle down. It did settle down soon after that call -- whether by coincidence or because they did something I do not know. However, outside our window, which faced the pool area, was a very bright light. Our curtains would not close completely, even trying to use things to make them stay together. So, the light shining right in my eyes as I lay in bed did not help with falling back to sleep. At checkout, my intention was to mention some of our problems but the woman who checked us out did not ask about our stay, seemed put out when we inquired about a place that we might go for breakfast, and clearly wanted to get back to the conversation she was having with 2-3 coworkers that we had interrupted (no one else was checking out at the same time). So, clearly not a 5 star hotel experience. Pretty much what you would expect from a budget hotel except the rooms are nicer than in most budget hotels -- make sure you only stay here if you can get a really good deal from Priceline or something like that. Not worth their usual full price.

Room Tip: Don't have a room facing the pool area.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Cindy,
Thank you for your feedback. It is always our desire to learn about any problems as soon as possible so that we can fix them before they interfere with your enjoyment of your stay with us. I apologize that our front did not inquire.

One of the attractions of our location is that we are close to shopping, restaurants, and nightlife attractions close by. Occasionally this means that we have revelers coming back to the hotel and they forget to be considerate of our other guests. As you noted, after you called we responded and stopped the noise quickly.

I would ask that you contact me about the black-out drapes. Every room is equipped with these and when used properly there should be no light entering the room. I would like to find out which room you were in so that we can inspect and ensure that if there is a problem we can fix it.
We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve our hotel experience for all guests.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stay at this hotel every time we are in Kansas city. the location is great and the country club plaza is in walking distance. Although that hill can seem pretty big walking back to the hotel. The rooms are always clean and well kept. We always receive a prompt response regarding any concern

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loriekirk
Dear Loriekirk,
Thank you for the fantastic feedback regarding our hotel. It is a great reward for our staff to know that you choose to stay here again and again. This is the kind of product and service that we strive to provide our guests.

As far as the hill is concerned, I recommend next time you call our shuttle for your return trip from the Plaza!

Once again, thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to your next visit.

Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I booked this place last minute from priceline. I got a price too good to pass up. Is it 5 star? No. What it lacks in 5 stars it well makea up for it elsewhere. Rooms are good enough, the front desk people as well as the shuttle people are very helpful. Only thing that it did lack was a better buffett beeakfast. Instead took there shuttle to winsteads down the street. For price and location this place really cant be beat.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Steelmet,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding our hotel. We consider our hotel the ”best value on the Plaza” with service that many have described as better than 4 star hotels.

I would like to hear more from you about our buffet. We offer breakfast breads, cereals, fresh whole and sliced fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, waffles, breakfast potatoes, milk, and juice. Please let me know what you felt was lacking.

Thanks again,

Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We needed a couple of rooms close to the KC Convention Center -and this hotel was priced very well compared to others we looked into. The front desk staff was welcoming and friendly! They happily fulfilled my request for adjoining rooms. The rooms were very clean and nicely furnished. There were a few perks that really made the hotel a great choice- free internet, free covered parking, and free shuttle service around the plaza area. I can't say enough about how nice the shuttle service was. We had 4 children with us (all under 5 years old)- and it was so nice having door to door service to/from restaurants and the convention center (especially considering the freezing cold/snowy weather the days we stayed!). Both shuttle bus drivers we had were amazing and personable- even with all of the kids! We did eat breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The breakfast buffet was good- had lots of variety. The buffet was about $10.00 for adults (a little high)...however, kids ate free- making it reasonable for us. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others- and will book again the next time we are in the area!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear B-n-L_1967,

Thank you so much for telling us about your recent stay. Besides our “welcoming and friendly staff”, our “clean and nicely furnished” rooms, the perks you listed are favorites of many of our guests!

The trio of complimentary internet, parking, and shuttle service really make our property a unique option on the Country Club Plaza. You can park and ride most if not all of your visit and let us take those annoyances out of your trip!

Thanks again for you feedback,

saint louis, mo
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We recently stayed at the Holiday in Country Club plaza. Considering the great location, in the very pricy part of Kansas City, I felt it was a good value,(even though I was using my points to pay for the hotel). The front desk staff were extremely pleasant and friendly, as was the bar staff and maids. Our room was ready upon arrival and the beds were very comfortable. This is an older hotel, and not an express location. It had been updated, but I wasn't a fan of the choice of color carpet. I found it to be dreary and on the dark side. The room was adequately furnished, but the bathroom was extremely tiny. Water was hot, no trouble there, but the toilet kept running. We had an upgraded plaza view room, but honestly, if paying for the room, I would not spend the extra dollars. The hotel sits on the outskirts of the plaza proper, and the view is only partial and not that great. My view consisted mostly of a parking lot, and at that, there was a construction waste trailer filled with construction debris in line view of the plaza (not that HI had any control over that). No indoor pool, but looks like the outdoor pool is a nice size if you are staying in the summer time. Work out room had your standard 3 pieces of equipment, (one treadmill, one stair stepper, one bicycle) .
I was granted a late check out because I am a priority club member which worked out well. The restaurant had a very limited menu; food took a fairly long time to arrive. Parking is underground, free and although secured by a gate, anyone can drive into the garage. Brighter decor and a breakfast buffet like the express locations have would have made this perfect. Not sure why the "full service" holiday's in charge more and have less amenities (no free breakfast, no indoor pool) I also didn't see a business center, but didn't look for one either.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra money for the plaza view. Not worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank Jet Set Go!
Dear Jet Set Go!,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments about our “extremely pleasant and friendly” staff and the condition of the hotel. We are in the process of making improvements to lighting in a couple of corridors that are a little dim.

We do have the complimentary fitness center which while not really large adequately serves our guests. It is rare to have to wait for a machine and we do have a selection of barbells and a bench which many hotels do not offer.
I apologize for you wait in the restaurant. We have added additional staff as our restaurant business is increasing.

You also mentioned the secured parking. We do allow daytime visitors to the parking lot, but it is locked at night. Only guests are allowed in the garages overnight. This makes parking convenient for our guests.

Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I called in advance to let this hotel know I'd be checking in late and I was still made to wait in the lobby over half an hour and made to feel like a low-level criminal. If your plans require flexibility I would not recommend this hotel. Also the blinds only cover half of the window. If you need to sleep in the mornings, this is not the place for you.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Jessiewag,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. In reviewing our records I could see an advance reservation. It appears that the reservation was made upon arrival at the hotel. I also cannot find record of any late arrivals having to wait to get a room. I invite you to contact me directly so I can get more information from you so that we may make any needed corrections.

All of our rooms are equipped with a set of black curtains which are concealed behind a more decorative drape. As I'm sure you were tired upon arrival I can understand that you may not have seen that the window was only covered by shears. I do apologize for this being somewhat confusing especially when you very tired from traveling.

Assistant Director of Sales

Please do contact me to help me understand your check-in experience.