“Lighting at night reduced this to average”

Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Lighting at night reduced this to average”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I asked for a room higher than the first floor given to me initially - not a problem for the friendly staff. However, since the heavy curtains did not close I felt like I was in a ballpark all night due to the lights outside. My co-worker and I had breakfast at the hotel the next morning - and I only ate the entire omelette because I had no dinner the night before. It was edible, but that was about it. The room was very comfy other than the lights - and the staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Dont face the courtyard with the ballpark lighting.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Beth_sage,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I certainly appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had experienced. Rest assured that the issues you have raised have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Worthington, Ohio
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

HOSPITALITY is the name of the game with the front desk staff. Cordial & professional very efficient and helpful. Rooms clean and in hood repair. Hallway corridors a bit dark and although in good repair... Could stand to be updated. Catering staff friendly and accommodating. Food well prepared and tasty. Would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Susie,
Thank you for the great comments about our property- especially our staff. We strive to make each guests stay the best it can be and we are happy that we succeeded. You also mentioned that you attended a catered event while you were here. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the food and service for the event. Our meeting and banquet space is a great asset whether you are having a wedding, reunion, or a corporate meeting here. We hope to see you again the next time you stay in KC!

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel in April 2014 for a youth porting event located at the KC Convention Center. Two positives before the negatives. First positive was the location which is a quick 10 minute drive to downtown and the local eating establishments in the Plaza are hard to beat. Second positive was the friendly staff. The front desk was helpful and the maintenance worker (Doug) was super. OK now onto the problems. The primary warning is the room types. upon arrival we were placed in a first floor room in the older wing at $130/night. Entering the room the room was clearly dated and contained a slight smell that we overlooked until bedtime. Bathroom was small and a few of the towels had a crusty feel with only one feeling smooth. Upon waking up all of us staying in the room could hardly breathe, similar to a bad allergy reaction. I notified the front desk and they quickly sent someone over to check it out. They agreed to upgrade us to a tower room which was nice but still way over priced given that I could of gotten a better room at the Marriott next door or a better price or a suite at the Embassy for slightly more with FREE breakfast. So, IF you opt to stay at this hotel be aware that first you are overpaying for a room in this area and then there are two types of rooms with only a few dollars variance but a world of difference in quality. I would seriously compare the older room to a poor Best Western room. Also, seems like 90% of the parking is in the garage which is unbelievably tight or you can opt to parallel park next to the hotel which tends to fill up fast. The parking situation is outside of the hotels ability to change but be aware that the garage is unusually tight and having to parallel park at a quality hotel is rather unusual. In fact one of our parties had to park in the street.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank soonerfan1974
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear soonerfan 1974,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We do appreciate you mentioning the postivies such as our location and friendly staff. Our staff strives to add that personal touch that often times makes the difference in a guest’s stay at the hotel. Please accept our apology that the guestroom you were initially placed in failed to meet your expectations- it also did not meat ours. Doug, the friendly maintenance guy, is our Chief Engineer and he has had his staff thoroughly go through that room and make all needed repairs.

While on the surface it may appear that you can find an equal value elsewhere you must consider all of the hotel expenses for your stay. Other hotels in the area with similar and higher rates also charge parking, internet access, and other hidden fees that you do not see until you arrive at the hotel. These fees can add upwards of $25-$30 per night. Our goal is to offer the best possible value on the Country Club Plaza.

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for our daughter's volleyball tournament. Worst experience ever. We were told to carry our bags up the stairs to our room. Parking was impossible. The next morning we went downstairs for breakfast before heading to our early tournament. It costed us 30.00 for a less than desirable breakfast buffet (2 adults) that's with the kids eating free. Although, they weren't allowed to get the buffet just an item off the menu. We decided to check out after out tournament and switch hotels. They told us if we were to check out after 1 we would be charged the full amount off the room. We will not be staying at a Holiday Inn. The room smelled, the shower had hair in it and there was trash in our room. We were also given a room with only 1 bed for the 4 if us even though we reserved a double room. We canceled our room for the 3rd night and booked another hotel.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Jaime G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. Unfortunately, your account settings do not allow us to send you a Private Message. You are welcome to reach out to our Guest Relations via email at ihgcare@ihg.com including reference to your Tripadvisor Account name so we can follow up on your experience.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Country Club Plaza for 1 night on 3/19/14. I enjoyed the proximity to Country Club Plaza, and they even have a shuttle that will drop you off and pick you up anywhere on the Plaza. The shuttle driver was so (I'm so sorry that I don't remember her name). The packing garage is secure, as well. However, although the room was clean, it truly needed some updating. The bathroom counter had numerous cigarette burns, and the room appeared dingy. The air conditioning never got cool. The lighting was also poor.
Pro's - great location, friendly staff, secure parking
Con's - dated rooms

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Diane,

Thank you for your review. It is always good to hear compliments about our friendly staff, great location, and convenient shuttle.

I am sorry however that you were disappointed with your room. We are used to hearing good comments on the condition of our rooms and so I am particularly interested in learning more about your stay. Please contact me directly so I can better understand your comments.

Missouri
Reviewed 30 March 2014

If staying for one or two nights maybe ok, but on business not really up to standards. The week of March 17th we were to have shuttle service to get to places to go, but that didn't happen and if it was used it took up to 30 min to get a shuttle. No food was allowed to be brought in by delivery, but the shuttle was also not available to get food when you have a conference going on that eats up very much needed time. The staff didn't really seem concerned that was just the policy.
This caused wasted time for the conference, extra costs to go out and try to bring back food and no food available to be delivered due to hotel policy. I could of saved at least a hundred dollars if we could of called and had fast food delivered for lunch, but instead forced to run across street to a place that was very expensive to say the least.
So, while the rate may have a little better than some on the plaza, I would of saved money if we had better service for the business conference.
The only other thing I would suggest is maybe increase lighting in hallways to brighten things up!

Room Tip: Room at the end of the hall on floor one faces the street and you get more noise from that location.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom R
Holidayplaza, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hello 7r9f442,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your meeting. Unfortunately it is not just our policy but also the policy of The Kansas City Health Department that if we provide catering within our hotel that we can not allow you to bring in outside catering to our meeting space. I am very sorry if that was not communicated clearly. We do also have a lunch express menu for $9.95, including a drink, where individuals can order what they would like and pay for it on their own if the conference is not providing a meal. We do have around 40 restaurants within walking distance, some our fast food, some our full service. I do know that timing can be tight with the conferences and often or lunch express menu is the best option. Please do let me know if I can be of service to assist you further with this matter.
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Reviewed 25 March 2014

6 of us booked this hotel to celebrate a birthday on the plaza. The rate was spectacular! So good, my expectations were set low. Check in was a breeze. Room was clean and recently renovated. It is probably the quietest hotel room I have slept in; including 5 star hotels. When we met in the lobby, I was surprised to find out that there was a shuttle. The shuttle driver was fantastic! Taking us to and from restaurants, bars, and Union Station. We never ate at the restaurant. But we did enjoy the hotel bar. My only complaint is that the bathroom is too small to have more than 1 person in it at a time. Would I go back? ABSOLUTELY! …and did I mention the hotel is pet friendly?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Slyclone
Jim J, Manager at Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Slyclone,

We are happy that your group enjoyed and were pleasantly surprised by our property. We try to offer the best value on the Country Club Plaza and your comments certainly show you felt that you did receive great value! As many have mentioned before, our shuttle service makes your stay here convenient and stress free. Our staff is happy to get you where you want to go quickly and safely.

We hope that you will stay with us on your next visit to Kansas City!