“Birthday weekend”

The Westin Crown Center
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We enjoy staying at the Westin. We have stayed there several times and the customer service is always very good. We like to look through the Crown Center shops and have ate at many of the restaurants there. We always visit the lounge at the Westin and like the atmosphere. It never is too crowded but always other patrons to visit with. The breakfast is a little pricey so we usually go over to Union Station and eat breakfast at the cafe there. We also like Benton's and the food is great! We will definitely stay there again.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DKMTravel

Reviewed 18 May 2011

Stayed here for the Buffett concert. Less than a mile from Sprint Center and Power & Light District. Room was very clean. Bed was awesome. We will be staying here again.

Reviewed 17 May 2011

I paid less than $100 on a AAA Auto Club rate. While that's not as good as HotWire or Priceline it at least got me another check-in towards my Platinum status.
Speaking of SPG Platinum status, when I checked in my room was not pre-blocked. The clerk rattled off something about a lovely king room with such and such view. I quickly asked if I had not been given a suite upgrade. Then without saying there was not a suite available, the clerk said he did have king room overlooking the park. Who knows if he was being deceptive or just wasn't well trained. A Platinum member wants to clearly hear that there are NO suites available that evening.
The room was great. Nearly brand new towels, great views of downtown and the park. Large spacious. The Heavenly bed as always was perfect. Since I was in town to entertain some clients I spent little time in the room.
Lobby is quite dated, but I'm not typically sitting in the lobby during my stay. I did not eat at any of the restaurants or peruse any of the shops. Nor did I use the gym.
There are a series of interesting sky bridges linking the museum across the street, other hotels and buildings. Given the weather in KC, I thought this was a great idea.
I would have no qualms recommending this hotel or staying here again myself. The value stands out.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank PDXStocks
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Where to start? I was a little leery of this hotel at first. I purchased it on hotwire. Parking was the only downside I had. It wasnt that bad but spend the money for valet, it will be worth it. Very nice lobby. It was pretty much connected to crown center w/ lots of businesses in it. Had a little convenience store right down stairs. Nice staff. Walked into the room and I thought it was a mistake! Had to be a suite. Got a corner room with a nice balcony (i think all the rooms have balconys) right over the street. It was perfect because we went to Rockfest at liberty memorial and it was a very short distance. I have since used hotwire again and got less than satisfactory results. Last time I got at the Hyatt. I prefer Westin all day! You wont be dissapointed! Had a nice pool 5 storys (i think) up looking upon the KC skyline. Nice for a hangover.

Room Tip: Book way in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZB_WHITE_TEE
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Had a chance to go back to Kansas City for a quick vacation. Caught a couple Royals games and visited the Brookside Art Fair. Had a great time. I am a Starwood Platinum member and consider myself well traveled. I would like to point out that the Westin Crown Center has impeccable service and staff. They treated us like royalty. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. I would highly reccomend the Westin Crown Center for anyone visiting or in KC for buisness. Trust me, it will make your stay a great one.

1  Thank Sailfish1032678
jcharlton, Director at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

We are pleased to have been part of your great weekend here in Kansas City and taking the time to share your experience. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

Drove in from Wichita (three hours). Valet was pleasant and took vehicle. The Desk Clerk that greeted us was very polite, professional and informative. After checking in our room we dropped off our bags and went to the plaza for lunch without checking out room (mistake). After a nice lunch (deli Sandwich from Bronx) we went back to the room to relax. When we open the drapes to our surprise we discovered how filthy the room was. There was a dead moth on the carpet near the drapes (I understand how they could have missed that since it was behind the curtain). However there was nail clippings on the floor near the bed. Also trash was under the dresser. We had two queen beds the one near the window you could tell that the linen wasn't change. We found hair and lipstick on the pillow case and the linen wasn't hotel tucked. We contacted Service Express and we told them our issues. They tranfered my call to someone. I again stated the issue. Here's when the bad customer service comes in. The person on the other end told us the maid hadn't made their rounds yet. This is a clear indication that they wasn't listening and only heard what they wanted to hear. I told them we just check in. He then apologize and ask me if I would like to change room. He told me that someone would meet me in the room and I would be placed in an SPG floor (18). Now why wasn't I placed on that floor initialy since I'm an SPG member since the 90's? After about 15 minutes a young man showed up to our room with keys (no luggage cart) and told me the room and left. No assistance what so ever. The room was clean but we had two full beds instead of two queens. We were missing some face cloths so we called for extra. Note this room was fairly clean. The next day we left our room at 8:30AM for breakfast and to tour the city. When we returned at 3:30PM our room haven't been touched. We contacted the front desk and they immediately sent someone to clean the room. The hotel maid was very pleasant though.

Lastly - Sunday morning as we prepared for our drive back to Wichita there was NO HOT WATER. I mean it went from luke warm to ICE COLD. We called the front desk and they said they will send someone but this was at 7AM. I've been an SPG member since the 90's and I also enjoyed the Westin as a AMEX Fine Hotel Partner. This was the second time I stayed at a SPG in Kansas City in the last six months and both experiences were really below average. I now see why AMEX dropped them as a Fine Hotel Program. My advice to SPG give better Customer Service and Focus on better housekeeping. Learn to listen to your customers. Show some empathy to your customers. Show us you care. If I didn't "prepay ($199.00 per night plus $20 per day for parking) we would have left. I will send my feedback to SPG as well. Not a heavenly experience at all!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
wwilt, Front Office Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I can assure you that it has been shared with all those involved. I trust that you received my email communication and apology regarding your recent visit. As of February of this year, please note that Starwood Hotels and Resorts has once again partnered with American Express as a Global Preferred Supplier. If I can be of any assistance, please contact me directly. Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2011

What is it with already expensive hotels charging you for every single service?? Now have heard of "nicer" hotels charging for wi-fi, so I expected that $9.99 per day charge (which is still ridiculous if you ask me), and i expected the $20 per day parking fee, but a $5 "equipment fee" every time you want to use the gym?? Are you KIDDING me??! Compared to Drury hotels - which, in my experience are typically updated and very accommodating - this hotel is not a very friendly hotel for business travelers (extra charges for Internet, use of business center, etc).

On top of all of the extra charges, I requested a king and was given two queens. They said they overbooked king size beds, so they could not change my room. Additionally, the closet smelled old and musty, and made my suits and coat smell.

Overall, I was disappointed with the need to spend $$ at every turn, particularly when it is not as nice of a hotel as it pretends to be.

• Stayed: April 2011