“Good hotel - horrible pool”

The Westin Crown Center
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Manhattan, Kansas
“Good hotel - horrible pool”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed at the Westin for two nights over the Memorial Day weekend to enjoy Jiggle Jam with my 3 year old. We walked in to the hotel, which was conveniently located attached to both the Crown Center shopping area and Union Station. e were quickly greeted. We stood in line only to find reservations were done via the lobby phone. No biggie, as it ws significantly cheaper than the walkin rate. We got a room on the 11th floor. It had a small balcony but the door only opened about a foot, so we couldn't go outside. The two double beds weren't comfy, and all the pillows were soft, but the furnishings were fine for a spur of the moment stay. The next day we decided to stay another night to enjoy the festivities and they had a package to get access to the aquarium along with a 20$ gift card for the crown center shopping areas. The staff were all very friendly.
Now - about the pool. We were told a pool on the 5th floor heated with a hot tub. The hot tub looked dirty, was located in an inside area beside the pool and could probably fit 6 adults comfortably. The pool was a good size - don't get me wrong - it was the depth that was so bad. The pool's shallow area was 3 feet... too much for my little one to comfortably walk... We wanted to take her into the deeper area, but it dropped off so suddenly from 4 1/2 to 6 something to 8 feet, even my 6ft plus husband couldn't stand. We gave up and left with a disappointed child.
All in all the hotel was good for a quick stay. It's close to Union Station, shopping and the WWI Memorial. If you drive, it is about 8 minutes to the Plaza shopping area with all the high end stores. We would possibly stay here again, the hotel is definitely older and could benefit greatly from soundproofing and more modern rooms, but for a nite, we couldn't beat the price. Oh, and the concierge was great. We didn't have toothpaste - they had it. We forgot the stroller, they had them onhand for free. Another customer lost forgot his phone charger and even though they were out, the deskman - Alex - gave him his to borrow. Rarity there.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter according to the concierge.
1 Thank brghteyez33
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback and imput and glad that you had a wonderful weekend with the festivities.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
Centralia, MO
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed one night to visit my brother and will NEVER stay again! Choose this hotel for convenience to shopping and the pool. The pic of the zero entry pool on the website is NOT the pool the hotel offers. We were actually told by a staff member at the pool that the pic on the website "Is just to draw us in." Pool is EXCEPTIONALLY small for the size of the hotel. The parking garage for self park was an absolute nightmare; spaces too small and no proper signage as to where the elevators/stairs are located to get to the hotel. IF you stay here, valet is the only way to go. Room seemed average at best for size and cleanliness. No fitted sheets on the bed and woke up to exposed mattress that was soiled with vomit stains all over and down the side. Mattress also was ripped down the side. We have stayed at other Westin Hotels and have experineced very plush accommodations. . Don't be fooled by this one!

2 Thank MidwestMom31
tabhyde, Front Desk Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about you recent stay with us and sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered. I would like to have the opportunity to address your concerns directly. At your convenience you may contact me at 816-391-4408 and ask for Tabitha. Thank you again and I look forward to speaking with you.
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We live a couple of towns over in Columbia and travel to KC quite often for weekend trips, so I have stayed at this property several times before, it had become my go-to place in KC. It has a great location, the rates are reasonable, and being attached to those places to eat and shop (although all the stores are boutique like) is great for a family stay. I must say though that this time I felt as if I had taken off my rose colored glasses upon checking in. Check in was smooth sailing as usual, we stayed in one of the garden suites which is the size of a good sized apartment with 2 bathrooms. The bed of course was heavenly and they do small touches for SPG preferred guests like free bottled waters and they have Starbucks coffee in the rooms. What seemed to stand out to me more this time was that the hotel is just seeming a bit dated. We had spots on the wall where the blue wallpaper was peeling, their were a couple of old coffee stains in the carpet, and the blue curtains were barely functional. We had to do a few tricks to get them to open and close and the room is surrounded by them. Also I notice that even though the view out the floor to ceiling windows is great, the cleanliness of the glass was far from it ( glass in the lookout elevators was also pretty dingy). They had obviously not been cleaned in a while which made the view not so spectacular. Also upon opening the curtains for the first time there was a Pabst Blue Ribbon empty beer bottle on the floor which let me know that house keeping is just brushing over the rooms. The buzzing lights in the bathrooms are annoying and the water pressure in the sinks is bad, we also had one faucet that was continuously turning so we had to play with it to get the water to go off. The valet parking situation was awful as well. The fact that they give you a new ticket every time you leave and return is strange, it leads to you having too many tickets, and certainly they never know whether you are a returning guest or just checking in. They never open the doors when you pull up and at one point on Saturday we had called down for our car at least 15 minutes before we got down there and still ended up waiting for another 15 minutes. They were sort of running around calling down on the walky talkies trying to locate cars. It was a mess. The thing that probably irked me the most was that when we got there on Friday, there was a tray of food outside the room next to ours that someone put out after room service. That tray of food sat there in the hallway until Saturday evening. I know for a fact some staff saw it because we had them bring a crib and a remote to our room on two separate occasions and the housekeepers were up there several times. To leave that food out there like that was pretty disgusting, and just not the level of service that I would have expected from a Westin. Overall I think the cons this time outweighed the pros and I will probably start looking for a new hotel to stay in when visiting KC.

3 Thank 1OffTown
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share this feedback about your stay. I do apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay, as that is not what your Westin stay should have felt like. I would love to have a moment of your time to follow up on your stay, so at your convenience please contact me at 816-391-4408 and ask for Tabitha.
Nahant, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel because I was part of a large conference organized here. It isn't close to downtown or anything funky, and has pretty much no character (except for a giant and attractive indoor tropical waterfall which I liked).... rooms are ok (mine was enormous), plumbing works, tv works (I got my next door neighbor to turn his down)... no major problems except that several hundred conference goers were unable to connect to the internet. The hotel had made "special arrangements" for free internet access for us.... only it didn't work. The front desk said there was a problem because a lot of people were trying to use it!! Well, duh. I suggested that I might use the regular hotel internet access without the usual charge, and the woman behind the desk said I would have to wait till the morning when she could check with the manager. This is not what I call customer service. Food was institutional, service was courteous (within the limits of what they were empowered to offer), coffee was mediocre (but I always come prepared with my own).... all in all, a middle of the road experience at an out of the box standard "luxury" hotel.

I will stay here again next year, since the same conference is held here annually. But I can't imagine why anyone would stay here if they didn't have to.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We apprecicate feedback as it is a way for us to improve if we are falling short on an expectation and we hope that your keep sharing. Please feel free to reach out to me if there is anything that I can assist you in any way.
Kansas City
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

We are from the metro area and wanted something close by and different to do for Memorial Day weekend. I just love Westins because of the heavenly beds and the white tea fragrance. This hotel was immaculately clean. The pool is nice and I liked the poolside bar. Every staff member we met was very curteous. The location is awesome. Sealife, Legoland, Science City/ Union Station and Crown Center are all on-site. The Power and Light District and the Plaza are within minutes and cabs are readily a available. We had an awesome view and were pleasantly surprised when we watched the outdoor symphony from our rooms. There was also a fireworks show. We ordered room service and shortly after received a call making sure everything was to our liking. You can really tell the management of this hotel place a high priority on customer service. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2012
tabhyde, Front Desk Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Westin Kansas City. We truly value our guests feedback and are delighted to hear that your stay was a great experience. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hallsville
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed one night and experienced the typical big hotel stay. The walls are thin, the doors to each room slam nosily, and the other guest speak at full volume outside your room without regard to other guest in the hotel. Not really possible to go to sleep on your schedule, you are at the mercy of the other guest because you can hear everything. And I mean everything. Street noise, doors slamming, people talking in the room next to you, People in the hall, and such. As for the room itself, it was nice, clean, and had a great view out the large floor to ceiling windows on our 11th floor room. We could see the Liberty Memorial. The furnishings and rugs and such are a bit dated and the TV is nearly impossible to get to work right, as it is one of those dumb LodgeNet set ups. For a luxury hotel, this place is pretty average. But the location is very convenient and we were able to walk to all the sites in the area and leave the car in the parking garage. By the way, parking is not free, they stick you for it on checkout. Not to mention that everything cost more in the various shops, so make sure you have all the drinks and snacks you need, or be prepared to pay more. Regular bottle of $1.59 soda is $2.89 for example. Like I said, typical big hotel stay. Pay more for everything, sleep less.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. At The Westin we want each experience to be renewing and we sincerely apologize that your stay was not as renewing as you would of liked. If you are ever back in the area for a visit please feel free to contact me personally at 816-391-4408 and ask for Tabitha. Thank you again.
Ord, Nebraska
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed a week at the Westin for a conference and the facility had everything we needed to conduct successful meetings. The rooms were comfortable and the technical hookups were sufficient. The hotel room that I stayed in had an outstanding view of downtown K.C. otherwise it was on par with a 3 star hotel. The location is probably the biggest selling point of this hotel with lots of shopping, a quick taxi ride to the Power and Light District, easy access to I-70 and Union Station and World War 1 museum just across the street (must see!).

The only drawback is price. Food, souvenirs, the room itself are all extremely expensive. There is even a $5/day fee to use the workout facility, which is outstanding, but still the price of the room should allow some coverages and it does not. That is big city living though.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your experience with us. We look forward to your return visit and please contact us directly for any additional feedback.