“Styling in Kansas City”

The Westin Crown Center
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 2 September 2013

On Friday August 23, my wife and I and two teenage children stayed at this hotel. It is a nice big city big name hotel. It has a grand lobby and its own waterfall.

Our room was nicely appointed and had a little extra room, but was largely a typical American hotel room with two queen beds. The bathroom and shower were very nice, but fairly ordinary.

The hotel had a large outdoor pool in the shape of a half moon. It was wide enough for serious lap swimming and had three lanes set up. There was ample room for recreational swimming too and a small area by the steps suitable for children (but, requiring extreme vigilance by parents as it drops off steeply past the rope). Adjacent to the pool is a sports and fitness club including an indoor hot tub, showers, lockers, fitness machines and access to two outdoor tennis courts. This was very nice. You could enter the pool from inside the sports club by passing through a short passage into the pool. This is in 4 and ½ feet of water so it needs to be used carefully by children and non-swimmers.

The hotel is attached to a shopping center. As a result, there is quick access to many dining choices in addition to the in-house restaurants without going outside. Parking was convenient, but came with a significant fee (but less than out hotel in Denver and way less than our hotel in Chicago).

We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

CletusMinneapolis- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Westin Crown Center. It is excellent to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax and unwind, taking advantage of all the amenities provided to you as our guest. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center with so many great restaurants and shops in the area and I am happy you were able to visit these attractions at your convenience. We truly value your business and your feedback is very important to our team, helping to continue to create renewing experiences for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to the family in the future to create another relaxing and memorable stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,274)

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Overall not a great experience for the money. The lobby has been given a makeover, however the hallways and elevators are extremely old and hold years of stains and smells. The hallways dark and dank. I was told I had a room reserved, however once arriving, was told it was not available, because the person in it didn’t want to leave, so instead of checking in I was told to leave and they would call me when or if a room was available. They told me that the hotel had been overbooked during the Kansas City Irishfest. They allowed me to leave my bags and go out into the fest hoping they would call and I wouldn’t be stuck for a room. I was finally called after a few hours, and was told that the 18th floor room I was promised, I received a sixth floor room with a balcony, unfortunately for me within screaming range of the pool. I really wanted to just get to my room and accepted, otherwise I might not have gotten a room. The room was relatively dirty, especially the bathroom, which unfortunately for me had someone with really bad aim staying before me. There was urine all over the toilet seat and on the floor around the toilet (I took no photos out of disgust); there were also hairs stuck on the shower walls and pubic hairs on the ceiling. I stayed in the room because it was all I could get if I wanted to stay in the area. The hallways were full of children who were competing in Irish dance, and it was near impossible to get around. The elevators were constantly full of people and it was impossible to get on, and I had to walk down from the 6th floor, which means I could go down to the 4th floor and then go outside and walk down the outside stairs, even in the rain. The desk said that some of the elevators were broken and couldn’t be used. The steakhouse on the top floor has been closed, even though the advertisements and elevators still are labeled to go there. The Brasserie, the only restaurant still open in the hotel, I ate at for breakfast. It was terrible for the price, dirty and grimy. The floor sticky and my creamer on the table was well over and curdled. Two hours before checkout I had a cleaning person pounding on the door until I answered. Overall a very poor experience for the money, especially for what was once considered the best hotel in Kansas City. A far cry from even good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

jerry9182- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our new lobby renovations. I sincerely apologize if your stay was less than perfect with the servicing of your guest room as well as the frustrations you encountered with the hotel being sold out for Irish Fest. It is our goal as a Westin to create a relaxing, inviting experience for our guests. I have shared your comments with the appropriate teams so we can work to ensure this matters do not occur in the future. I hope your stay does not reflect negatively on other Starwood Hotels. We truly value your business and would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future to create a top notch stay.

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We had a corner king reserved and when we got to our room we found out they given us a standard king room. I don't know if the front desk crew are bad at details or if there is a lack of communication. Every time we come to the Westin crown center the front desk messes something up for me. The hotel is great for crown center activities. Except to get to the exited out to crown center there is a minimum of 2 elevators if you don't do stairs. The rooms are comfortable. Each room has a floor to ceiling window/door which offers outstanding views but there is no seal left on the door part of the window all the sound and everything else comes on through.
If you aren't counting on the Westin luxury service go ahead and stay at the Westin crown center.

• Stayed: August 2013

Broadster1- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am delighted to hear you are able to enjoy all the great shops and attractions in the Crown Center Square at your convenience as well as are able to relax and unwind in the comfort of your guest room with the beautiful view of Kansas City outside your window. I apologize for the frustrations you have encountered with our front office team. I have shared your comments with our front office management to address this matter and ensure this does not occur in the future. We value your business and strive to create friendly accommodating experiences for our guests. Your loyalty is very important to our team and we hope to have you as our guest in the future to create a flawless, memorable stay.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at the Westin for a Hallmark event. The rooms are spacious. The staff is gracious and very accomodating. No matter at what hour, if we needed something, the staff helped to make our stay pleasant. This year there was another convention at the hotel at the same time. People milled around everywhere, yet the lobby, corridors, atrium were clean and orderly. No reason to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Carol M- Thank you very much for sharing your warm comments on your recent stay at The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It means so much to our team to hear you have consistently enjoyed your time with us and that our staff makes your feel warm and welcome, ensuring you have everything you need for a relaxing experience. It is our goal as a Westin to make our guests experience stressfree and comfortable and knowing you were able to create this for you is excellent. We value your loyalty and look foward to having back as our guest next year!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Crown Center has everything for the whole family from my 87 year old parents to my six year old daughter.

My parents enjoy being independent as they shop and dine in the shopping area. My young adult children love the Sushi bar, my six year old loves the activities and exhibits for kids and we all enjoy the pool. We look forward to our Kansas City weekends!

• Stayed: August 2013
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

jhawkwelch1- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am delighted to hear your whole family was able to enjoy your stay and were able to take full advantage of all the great attractions and restaurants in the Crown Center area! It is our goal to create an energizing, memorable experience for our guests and knowing we were able to help create this means a lot. We truly value your loyalty to The Westin and look forward to having your family back to create many more top notch stays!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have been staying a this hotel for 50 years. It has undergone and extensive remodel with new showers in the baths and a gorgeous lobby. The location is terrific and the indoor atrium landscaping is one of a kind. It is wonderful to see this older hotel restored to its former glory.

Room Tip: I never fill this out since it is not one of my preoccupations and I would rather request an upgrade...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Steven W- I appreciate you taking your time to share your refreshing feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. It is so great to hear you loved our new renovations! Your loyalty to The Westin over the past 50 years means so much to our team and I am delighted to know our staff is able to consistently make you feel welcomed back to the family. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center surrounding many of Kansas City's best restaurants and attractions and am very happy you are able to take advantage of all the area has to offer. We cannot wait to have you back in the future and continue to create memorable stays for you.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I am in KC every August for an annual trade show, and there is no other hotel in the city I would rather stay than the Westin. The hotel itself is beautiful and kept in immaculate condition. The staff all over the hotel are warm and accommodating. The room was spacious, and kept clean and bright. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

RichMR- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am pleased to hear The Westin is your hotel of choice when you are in Kansas City and that our staff is friendly and accommodating ensuring you have everything you need for a relaxing and refreshing stay. We value your loyalty and your feedback is very important to our team. We look forward to creating many more top notch, memorable stays for you in the future!