“Very comfortable hotel”

Ranked #10 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
LITTLE ROCK
“Very comfortable hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is pretty big, but still managed to make me feel like I was in a much smaller one.
The service was personal and friendly. The room was spacious and quiet. The breakfast buffet was above average. All in all, an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
mhauerj- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel warm and welcome from the moment you arrived. It is our goal to create a relaxing and refreshing experience for our guests and I am happy to know you were able to unwind in the comfort of your guest room and receive this experience. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
Lincoln, NE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We just returned from a weekend at the Westin in Crown Center. It was BUSY! The Irish Fest was right down the street and many of the participants appeared to be staying at the Westin. We are regular visitors to KC and usually stay at the Sheraton, but thought we would try the Westin this time based on TA reviews.

Arrival: Despite being busy, check in was quick. They had 7 people checking in guests and the customer service was excellent.

Room: The room is definitely dated a little bit. We stayed on the SPG Preferred Guests floor 18. The bed was okay. The shower head was nice. The open door balcony made me uneasy so we didn't open it. Walls are thin and you can hear stuff in the next room.

Food: We ate breakfast twice and both times it was average to below average. Luckily for us, the breakfast was included in our rate and we didn't have to pay for it. The hostess both mornings tried to argue with us that breakfast was NOT included in our rate. It was a little ridiculous and rude, probably the worst part of our Westin experience. Our waiter during breakfast was the exact opposite. He was friendly and attentive, even though he was busy. Even remembered our drink order from the day before. We also had drinks and appetizers one night. The hot wings are HOT and they offered to remake them for us. We declined but appreciated the offer. Had a latte one morning, and it was poorly made.

Valet: I mentioned the hotel was very busy, but the valet was on top of things! This has been my biggest complaint about other KC hotels, but the Westin has it down! Each time we called ahead for our car, it was waiting for us when we came down! Excellent service.

Elevators: Staying on the 18th floor when the hotel is at full capacity is annoying! It took forever to get downstairs! If the hotel is full, ask for a low floor!

Gym: My husband used this each day and he thought it was beyond excellent. There is a $5 charge to use it though (he didn't mind, it was that great).

If I had to compare the Sheraton and Westin, I'd say they are tied. Both have strengths and weaknesses, so if one is cheaper then the other, go there.

Room Tip: If the hotel is at capacity, ask for a room on a lower floor to avoid slow elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
TACHance- I appreciate you taking your time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a great stay you had and that our staff provided quick and efficient service, ensuring you had everything you needed during the busy Irish Fest weekend. I sincerely apologize if your experience in the restaurant was below average. I have shared your comments with our restaurant team to make sure we are serving our guests the most fresh, high quality food. We would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future to create a relaxing, uplifting experience.
Gallatin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

A review of the Westin in Kansas City is a simple task. In a phrase; Top shelf, no dust.
While this phrase is a reference to top quality spirits, it also demonstrates the pride and effort the KC Westin went to in order to ensure my stay was the best in the house.
The courtesy and caring professionalism are traits all businesses aspire to. Most don't achieve it as we all know.
If you or your business have been using some other hotel chain I urge you to try sample of what you've been looking for!

Room Tip: If you are staying some place other than Westin you'll likely want a room away from the elevator...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Robert W- Thank you very much for sharing your refreshing comments on your recent stay with us at The Westin Crown Center. It is so great to hear what a top notch experience you had with us and that our staff was able to create an inviting, uplifting experience for you! We take great pride in creating memorable stays for our guests and knowing we were able to create this for you means so much to our team. The Westin is very fortunate to have you as part of our family and your feedback helps our team to continue to create the feel-good experiences we strive to create. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the future!
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

When I made reservations, I didn't know the annual Irish Fest was being held at Crown Center. There were thousands of people there with seven stages of entertainment and many eating venues. Anyway, we didn't attend, but it appeared everyone was having a grand time.

We had an outstanding stay at the Westin -- from making reservations to check-out. The desk clerk was very helpful and gave us a room on the pool side away from the Irish Fest activities, so we were grateful for that. We had a nice, large, quiet room on the 16th floor. I loved the large windows overlooking the World War I memorial and the pool. (We didn't use the pool, but it looked beautiful and inviting.) The bed and bedding were very comfortable as well as the pillows. The new showers are a bit strange, but my husband loved the overhead "rain forest" showerhead, and I liked the hand-held one.

There is also a nice desk area, two nice chairs for reading, as well as coffee bar. The elevator system seemed to be a bit slow. I'm not sure all the elevators were running as we had quite a wait each time. We enjoyed the Sunday morning buffet which was excellent. Although the hotel was very busy, we had a most enjoyable stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. It is so great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was friendly and accommodating, going above and beyond to create a relaxing and welcoming stay for you. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center and I am happy you were able to enjoy all the area had to offer as well as unwind in your guest room with a beautiful view of the World War I memorial. We are very fortunate to have such great amenities in the guest rooms for our geusts to enjoy and I am happy you slept in the comfort of your heavenly bed as well as were able to feel refreshed with our waterfall shower heads. We truly value your business and cannot wait to create another top notch stay for you in the future. Thank you again for your warm comments.
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We recently stayed at the Westin. Good service, but the rooms need to be updated. Our room needed painting and wasn't very clean. We had to call house cleaning in to clean the bathroom (black stuff in the tub). I think we will be finding a new hotel for next year's Irish Fest.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
JKD4- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am pleased to hear our staff was friendly and accommodating. I sincerely apologize if your stay was less than perfect due to the servicing and maintenace of your guest room. I have addressed this these issues with the appropriate teams so ensure these matters do not occur in the future. We truly value your business and hope your stay does not reflect negatively on other Starwood hotels. We would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future to create a relaxing, top notch stay.
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

On Friday August 23, my wife and I and two teenage children stayed at this hotel. It is a nice big city big name hotel. It has a grand lobby and its own waterfall.

Our room was nicely appointed and had a little extra room, but was largely a typical American hotel room with two queen beds. The bathroom and shower were very nice, but fairly ordinary.

The hotel had a large outdoor pool in the shape of a half moon. It was wide enough for serious lap swimming and had three lanes set up. There was ample room for recreational swimming too and a small area by the steps suitable for children (but, requiring extreme vigilance by parents as it drops off steeply past the rope). Adjacent to the pool is a sports and fitness club including an indoor hot tub, showers, lockers, fitness machines and access to two outdoor tennis courts. This was very nice. You could enter the pool from inside the sports club by passing through a short passage into the pool. This is in 4 and ½ feet of water so it needs to be used carefully by children and non-swimmers.

The hotel is attached to a shopping center. As a result, there is quick access to many dining choices in addition to the in-house restaurants without going outside. Parking was convenient, but came with a significant fee (but less than out hotel in Denver and way less than our hotel in Chicago).

We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
CletusMinneapolis- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Westin Crown Center. It is excellent to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax and unwind, taking advantage of all the amenities provided to you as our guest. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center with so many great restaurants and shops in the area and I am happy you were able to visit these attractions at your convenience. We truly value your business and your feedback is very important to our team, helping to continue to create renewing experiences for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to the family in the future to create another relaxing and memorable stay.
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Overall not a great experience for the money. The lobby has been given a makeover, however the hallways and elevators are extremely old and hold years of stains and smells. The hallways dark and dank. I was told I had a room reserved, however once arriving, was told it was not available, because the person in it didn’t want to leave, so instead of checking in I was told to leave and they would call me when or if a room was available. They told me that the hotel had been overbooked during the Kansas City Irishfest. They allowed me to leave my bags and go out into the fest hoping they would call and I wouldn’t be stuck for a room. I was finally called after a few hours, and was told that the 18th floor room I was promised, I received a sixth floor room with a balcony, unfortunately for me within screaming range of the pool. I really wanted to just get to my room and accepted, otherwise I might not have gotten a room. The room was relatively dirty, especially the bathroom, which unfortunately for me had someone with really bad aim staying before me. There was urine all over the toilet seat and on the floor around the toilet (I took no photos out of disgust); there were also hairs stuck on the shower walls and pubic hairs on the ceiling. I stayed in the room because it was all I could get if I wanted to stay in the area. The hallways were full of children who were competing in Irish dance, and it was near impossible to get around. The elevators were constantly full of people and it was impossible to get on, and I had to walk down from the 6th floor, which means I could go down to the 4th floor and then go outside and walk down the outside stairs, even in the rain. The desk said that some of the elevators were broken and couldn’t be used. The steakhouse on the top floor has been closed, even though the advertisements and elevators still are labeled to go there. The Brasserie, the only restaurant still open in the hotel, I ate at for breakfast. It was terrible for the price, dirty and grimy. The floor sticky and my creamer on the table was well over and curdled. Two hours before checkout I had a cleaning person pounding on the door until I answered. Overall a very poor experience for the money, especially for what was once considered the best hotel in Kansas City. A far cry from even good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
jerry9182- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our new lobby renovations. I sincerely apologize if your stay was less than perfect with the servicing of your guest room as well as the frustrations you encountered with the hotel being sold out for Irish Fest. It is our goal as a Westin to create a relaxing, inviting experience for our guests. I have shared your comments with the appropriate teams so we can work to ensure this matters do not occur in the future. I hope your stay does not reflect negatively on other Starwood Hotels. We truly value your business and would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future to create a top notch stay.