“Great location and nice amenities”

The Westin Crown Center
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This property is located conveniently to several venues in the Kansas City area and it is a comfortable place to stay and do business. The rooms are updated, clean and spacious. The meeting facilities are flexible and equipped for technology. The rooms are affordable, but do not include wi-fi without an additional charge. There are several restaurants and food service venues within the area served by the hotel and the attached overhead walkways.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

AgJack- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of the amenities provided to you in your guest room as well as meeting rooms at your convenient, helping to create a stressfree, comfortable stay. We take great pride in being located in the heart of Crown Center, surrounding many of Kansas City's favorite restaurants and attractions and I am happy you enjoyed all the area had to offer. We value your business and we look forward to creating many more top notch experiences for you in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,266)

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I checked in with a very pleasant woman. This hotel is located in a gigantic complex making it somewhat confusing to maneuver. The parking lot was not marked clearly either. The room could have been a bit cleaner but was nice and big and had a wonderful view of the city. I only stayed one night and didn't check out any of the amenities.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

ShannaMadison- Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and that our staff made you feel welcome from the moment you arrived. It is our goal as a Westin to create as relaxing and refreshing a stay as possible for our guests. I sincerely apologize if your stay was less than perfect with the servicing of your guest room. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team to ensure these issues to not occur in the future. Your feedback is very important to us and we hope to have you back as our guest in the future to create a signature stay.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is pretty big, but still managed to make me feel like I was in a much smaller one.
The service was personal and friendly. The room was spacious and quiet. The breakfast buffet was above average. All in all, an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

mhauerj- Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made you feel warm and welcome from the moment you arrived. It is our goal to create a relaxing and refreshing experience for our guests and I am happy to know you were able to unwind in the comfort of your guest room and receive this experience. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin family.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We just returned from a weekend at the Westin in Crown Center. It was BUSY! The Irish Fest was right down the street and many of the participants appeared to be staying at the Westin. We are regular visitors to KC and usually stay at the Sheraton, but thought we would try the Westin this time based on TA reviews.

Arrival: Despite being busy, check in was quick. They had 7 people checking in guests and the customer service was excellent.

Room: The room is definitely dated a little bit. We stayed on the SPG Preferred Guests floor 18. The bed was okay. The shower head was nice. The open door balcony made me uneasy so we didn't open it. Walls are thin and you can hear stuff in the next room.

Food: We ate breakfast twice and both times it was average to below average. Luckily for us, the breakfast was included in our rate and we didn't have to pay for it. The hostess both mornings tried to argue with us that breakfast was NOT included in our rate. It was a little ridiculous and rude, probably the worst part of our Westin experience. Our waiter during breakfast was the exact opposite. He was friendly and attentive, even though he was busy. Even remembered our drink order from the day before. We also had drinks and appetizers one night. The hot wings are HOT and they offered to remake them for us. We declined but appreciated the offer. Had a latte one morning, and it was poorly made.

Valet: I mentioned the hotel was very busy, but the valet was on top of things! This has been my biggest complaint about other KC hotels, but the Westin has it down! Each time we called ahead for our car, it was waiting for us when we came down! Excellent service.

Elevators: Staying on the 18th floor when the hotel is at full capacity is annoying! It took forever to get downstairs! If the hotel is full, ask for a low floor!

Gym: My husband used this each day and he thought it was beyond excellent. There is a $5 charge to use it though (he didn't mind, it was that great).

If I had to compare the Sheraton and Westin, I'd say they are tied. Both have strengths and weaknesses, so if one is cheaper then the other, go there.

Room Tip: If the hotel is at capacity, ask for a room on a lower floor to avoid slow elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

TACHance- I appreciate you taking your time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am delighted to hear what a great stay you had and that our staff provided quick and efficient service, ensuring you had everything you needed during the busy Irish Fest weekend. I sincerely apologize if your experience in the restaurant was below average. I have shared your comments with our restaurant team to make sure we are serving our guests the most fresh, high quality food. We would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future to create a relaxing, uplifting experience.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

A review of the Westin in Kansas City is a simple task. In a phrase; Top shelf, no dust.
While this phrase is a reference to top quality spirits, it also demonstrates the pride and effort the KC Westin went to in order to ensure my stay was the best in the house.
The courtesy and caring professionalism are traits all businesses aspire to. Most don't achieve it as we all know.
If you or your business have been using some other hotel chain I urge you to try sample of what you've been looking for!

Room Tip: If you are staying some place other than Westin you'll likely want a room away from the elevator...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Robert W- Thank you very much for sharing your refreshing comments on your recent stay with us at The Westin Crown Center. It is so great to hear what a top notch experience you had with us and that our staff was able to create an inviting, uplifting experience for you! We take great pride in creating memorable stays for our guests and knowing we were able to create this for you means so much to our team. The Westin is very fortunate to have you as part of our family and your feedback helps our team to continue to create the feel-good experiences we strive to create. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the future!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

When I made reservations, I didn't know the annual Irish Fest was being held at Crown Center. There were thousands of people there with seven stages of entertainment and many eating venues. Anyway, we didn't attend, but it appeared everyone was having a grand time.

We had an outstanding stay at the Westin -- from making reservations to check-out. The desk clerk was very helpful and gave us a room on the pool side away from the Irish Fest activities, so we were grateful for that. We had a nice, large, quiet room on the 16th floor. I loved the large windows overlooking the World War I memorial and the pool. (We didn't use the pool, but it looked beautiful and inviting.) The bed and bedding were very comfortable as well as the pillows. The new showers are a bit strange, but my husband loved the overhead "rain forest" showerhead, and I liked the hand-held one.

There is also a nice desk area, two nice chairs for reading, as well as coffee bar. The elevator system seemed to be a bit slow. I'm not sure all the elevators were running as we had quite a wait each time. We enjoyed the Sunday morning buffet which was excellent. Although the hotel was very busy, we had a most enjoyable stay and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. It is so great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was friendly and accommodating, going above and beyond to create a relaxing and welcoming stay for you. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center and I am happy you were able to enjoy all the area had to offer as well as unwind in your guest room with a beautiful view of the World War I memorial. We are very fortunate to have such great amenities in the guest rooms for our geusts to enjoy and I am happy you slept in the comfort of your heavenly bed as well as were able to feel refreshed with our waterfall shower heads. We truly value your business and cannot wait to create another top notch stay for you in the future. Thank you again for your warm comments.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We recently stayed at the Westin. Good service, but the rooms need to be updated. Our room needed painting and wasn't very clean. We had to call house cleaning in to clean the bathroom (black stuff in the tub). I think we will be finding a new hotel for next year's Irish Fest.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

JKD4- Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am pleased to hear our staff was friendly and accommodating. I sincerely apologize if your stay was less than perfect due to the servicing and maintenace of your guest room. I have addressed this these issues with the appropriate teams so ensure these matters do not occur in the future. We truly value your business and hope your stay does not reflect negatively on other Starwood hotels. We would love the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future to create a relaxing, top notch stay.