“nice hotel”

Ranked #8 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Lincoln, Nebraska
“nice hotel”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

this is a nice hotel. the rooms are average. it is near the union station shops and in the down town area. they also have shops in there own complex. these people do have good service. they do have valet parking, free for the guests (included in hotel bill) check these rates to be sure you get the latest rates. lots of near by restaurants. they even have a good restaurant on the top level of there own building.

Room Tip: most of the rooms are nice and kept up well. nothing outstanding about them, but they are nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Bill G- Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am happy to hear what a great tie you had with us and were able to enjoy all the great sites and dining in the Crown Center area. We are truly fortunate to be centrally located to many great attractions to keep you well entertained! It is our goal as a Westin to create a relaxing and inviting experience for our guests knowing our team was able to help create this for you means a lot. We value your feedback and look forward to serving you as our guest in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I have traveled widely and stayed across a broad range of nice hotels. Without doubt, this is the worst 4 star hotel I have stayed at in the US. Extremely dated rooms, literally they look like they have not been touched for the past 20 years. Oh, and did I mention that I stayed in a suite?? The quality of furniture, decor, bed, heater, room service is what you would expect from a 2-star hotel at best.. Yes, the lobby is updated, and that's it! Nothing else is. Read on for details..

Walking into my room I felt like I passed through a time tunnel and landed into the 1980s, except that the furniture was not only dated, it was also very much worn out, parts broken, etc (See the pictures).. I called up the manager and he was very nice.. He "upgraded" me to a garden suite.. which turned out to be a larger version of the room I was in, as old, as run down, and as dirty. On the second day I shaved and the sink was left with hair and shaving cream. When I came back that night, surprise, the sink was as I left as is, even though the hotel was "cleaned." (see the picture). A friend of mine was staying in a different room and he told me similar story (of having no soap in the bathroom and after calling to ask for it, nobody brought anything for an hour, so he had to go and get it from the reception himself).
Anyhow, I digress. The heater wasn't working so I had to call engineering. They came and fixed it but really who wants to deal with that. Room service pretty mediocre. But then I had dinner another night in the restaurant in the lobby, which made the room service look good. I really wanted to throw up after eating.. I am not kidding, this was the worst 300 dol. per night I ever spent on a hotel. Well below Westin quality, which I am generally very happy with.. Oh, and I have no idea what happened to heavenly beds. My bed was horrendous. Room 938-939, go and check it out.
I think this was my last stay at Westin at least for a long while.. I have to repress these memories before I can even think about doing that again!

Not to insult anybody, but I think those folks who rate this hotel highly are mostly locals who have not seen what a 4 star hotel should really look like.

On my way out the nice reception person asked me how my stay was, and I told her about some of the complaints above. She was very responsive and said, "Oh let me have your number so our manager can call you" and I gave her my number.. And guess if I ever got a call :)

4 Thank george w
George W- Your business and feedback are extremely important to us, and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to fill out a recent survey. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was less than perfect. The Starwood and Westin culture is designed to be instinctive to our guest needs and help you be at your best. After reading your review, we clearly fell short of our own expectations and certainly yours.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this caused during your last visit. I have shared your comments with my team to improve upon and I can assure you that what you experienced is not typical from The Westin Kansas City. We value your business and hope to have the opportunity to have you as our guest in the future to create a top notch experience.
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for the Folk Alliance conference last week. This is a pretty hectic conference that features bands playing in every conference room, all over the lobby and in many rooms throughout the hotel. I had assumed that the staff would be at their wits end and confused beyond belief. What I found was exactly the opposite. They even asked me what brought me town (with a band playing a few feet away). The service was stellar from beginning to end.

The rooms are looking a little dated. But there was nothing about them that hampered my stay. Everything worked and worked well. I've been in plenty of 5 star hotels that couldn't say that.

The views are also quite lovely. My room had a wonderful view of the WWI Memorial. One day, I visited a colleague with a room facing the other direction and was equally impressed by their view of the city skyline.

Room Tip: The corner suite (1039/40) was huge and featured gorgeous views of the WWI Memorial.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
jesusuk- I appreciate you taking your time to share your refreshing feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am thrilled to hear what a top notch experience our staff was able to create for you during the Folk Alliance Conference. We had such a great time with your group in house and it means a lot to our team to know what a memorable, fun experience you had. We value your business and look forward to having you back with us the next few years!
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

I travel extensively for business, and I often find myself writing reviews about a property's shortcomings. Therefore, I didn't want to miss this opportunity point out a property that does thing very right. This is not to say that my stay was trouble free. The front desk was understaffed upon my arrival, and the thermostat in my room did not work, but whatever the need, there was always some ready to take care of it for me, and to follow up afterwards to make sure that the matter was fully resolved to my satisfaction. I found everyone at the hotel friendly, polite, professional, and truly interested providing the best possible service. If visiting the Kansas City, MO area for business or pleasure, I highly recommend the Westin Crown Center.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Steve_ShalitKC, General Manager at The Westin Crown Center, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
shampooguru- I appreciate you taking your time to share your refreshing feedback on your most recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am thrilled to hear our team was able to go above and beyond to ensure you had everything you needed for a comfortable, stressfree stay! It is our to provide quick and efficient service for our guests. It means a lot to our team to know we were able to make sure a positive impact on your stay. We value your business and hope to have you back as our guest in the future.
Chicago, Ilinois
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was a conference stay; but I was looking forward to it with high expectations since I visited many years ago and loved KC. I can't recall a hotel where the employees all looked at me with a clear eye, and responded in positive ways that were respectful, honest and direct. They were "present" in a way that was very nice, and so much less wearing than the formality of some staffs. They clearly had license to be themselves -- and those selves wanted to make my stay great. This was true from the door, to the bell desk, the front desk, housekeeping and restaurants. It set the tone beautifully - I felt good asking for help. They enjoyed giving it. Now on less high-minded matters, the beds, linens, pillows and towels were outstanding. Left feeling pampered. Great steaks too...

Room Tip: I loved the historic KC Railroad station view, ask for it!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
empressario- I appreciate you taking your time to share your refreshing feedback on your stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am thrilled to hear what signature service our team was able to provide to you, making you feel welcome. I have shared this feedback with our team to ensure our staff receives the recognition they greatly deserve. It is our goal as a Westin to create as relaxing and inviting a stay as possible and it means a lot to know we were able to create this for you. We value your business and your comments are very important to us. We look forward to welcoming you back with us in the future.
Lansing
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Spent five nights at the Westin at the Folk Alliance International conference in Kansas City last week - loved the space as a conference location and the room rocked!

Our hotel room was very nice - I especially liked that there was a refrigerator hidden in the cabinet that the TV was on, Not having to ask for one and having it sit out in the open was really great, especially since we were there for several days.

There is a food court with a wide variety of choices attached to the hotel and covered habitrail type walkways that connect the hotel with the renovated and way cool Union Station and the Sheraton Hotel nearby (where a part of our conference was held). The meeting rooms and ballrooms were located well -- integrated into the hotel space, not way off in another wing, which made it easier going to and from meetings and concerts and such.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Susan F- I appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Crown Center. I am happy to hear what a great experience you had with us and the location worked out perfectly for the Folk Alliance Convention. We truly loved having this group in house and it means a lot to know our team was able to help create such a top notch experience. We value your business and look forward to having you back next year.
Alliance, Ohio
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My family stayed here multiple times while visiting family. Each visit was extraordinary. The first visit was over Thanksgiving and our room had an amazing view of the Crown Center Ice Terrace and we were cozy and warm as our children watched the lighting of Mayor's Christmas Tree. We ate Brunch on Thanksgiving morning at the Brasserie and the food quality was outstanding! Rose, our server, was amazing and on top of everything from drinks to fresh napkins for the kids! We did the "Green Choice" program and got an extra discount on our meal.

The second was over Christmas. As expected, our room was spacious and comfortable.
The other was a little after the new year, and once again we were treated like we were family and even remembered by the staff.

Our room was spacious and the beds were very comfortable. We were concerned that with 3 kids it might be loud, but I checked and the sound stays inside your own room, which is great for families traveling, or those who need sleep and do not wish to be disturbed by potentially noisy neighbors. Even though we did "Green Choice" we still got new stock of water, coffee, toiletries and towels everyday.

All of the staff are extremely customer service-oriented and went well above and beyond to make our stays comfortable and memorable.

The location of being connected to Crown Center, Union Station and Kaleidoscope make this an outstanding place to stay if you have kids. The ability to do so many things with your family and with kids and to have so many dining options at one location make this our favorite hotel to stay when we are in KC. We stayed in the colder months, but were still able to enjoy the pool , it's outdoors and heated! You enter while inside and swim through a short tunnel to get to the outside portion and can swim laps or just play in the heated water. (our January stay had temps of near ZERO, but the pool was still comfortable!

Parking is convenient and under the hotel. They also have valet parking. You may even receive your first greeting from very tall celebrity as you arrive.

Our family travels and has stayed in many hotels. My wife and I also travel for business, so we have stayed in many hotels of different qualities. This is by far the best hotel for comfort, location, friendliness and amenities we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side face face the Ice Terrace and the kids area, nice views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Juice95- Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your stay at The Westin Crown Center. It is great to hear what a top notch stay you had with us and that our staff consistently makes your family feel right at home. It is our goal to create as memorable and inviting a stay as possible and I am so happy to hear our staff is able to create experience for your family. We are very fortunate to be located in the heart of Crown Center with so many fun sites and shops for your family to enjoy. We truly value your loyalty to The Westin Crown Center and your refreshing comments mean a lot to our team. We look forward to welcoming you family back in the future.