“Expected a little more from this brand....”

Sleep Inn Airport Kansas City
Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I will start off by saying this hotel is not absolutely terrible - and really does have some hope despite the somewhat dated, cheap looking and sterile surrounding inside. It's not the cleanest hotel I've seen; noting the extremely dirty grout, dusty ceilings (from the air vents) and cob-webbed corners. The condition of the hotel is going south and will continue unless plans of action are put in place soon. Many of the things I saw were simple fixes (filling in holes where things used to be, cracked tiles, carpet separations, etc.) but they seem to just be ignored as they worsen. The decorative appearance inside is somewhat fake with the over-use of several immitation plants and cheesy Walmart brand clocks or mirrors, which pull double duty as band-aids to apparently hide the fact that the hotel needs a desperate facelift. It looks like it's a last ditch effort to try I suppose, but it actually just makes things look worse, crowded and busy. Additionally, the homemade signs taped to the walls or placed on top vending machines didn't help much either. The business center desk, which was very inconveniently located in the small lobby next to what looked like a 90's style garage sale couch, appeared as though it was about to break in half from the two computers and printer pilled right on top. Additionally, if you wanted to use the computer, you almost always risked the chance of someone using the other one directly next to you, which was no more than six inches away and quite awkwardly crowded, so bring your laptop. The housekeeping staff seemed to be the highlight of the trip as they were the friendliess folks in the entire joint! Even though they didn't seem overly-fluent in English, I cannot recall a single time I passed one of them in the hall without a "hello" and a smile. Something which was non-existent from the guest service staff. One of the front desk representatives (MacKenzie) was not by any stretch a professional in customer service whatsoever; and with her almost confrotational and argumentative nature, it didn't appear that she really wanted to be. From the moment of check-in, I had actually hoped that I simply didn't need anything from the staff because it felt like it would have been a bother anyhow, unless it was the manager. He seemed to care quite a bit, but you could literally see the exhaustion on his face as some of his staff continued to work against him; instead of with him, while he apparently tackled all that he could. In terms of the pool; (which was very much looked forward to) was shut down almost the instant we arrived and continued closed throughout our stay. Although it was the proper course of action considering it's dingy green color and cloudy water; it also tells one that apparently the chemicals are not tested or consistently regulated as required; or else it would have never happened in the first place. In that case, I look at it as a blessing in disguise. The rooms were actually quite clean - and the furnishings appeared quite new as well as other updates. The TV was a newly installed flat panel LG and the desk/dresser combo was large and adequate. It appears someone got the ball rolling in this area; I just hope they keep it moving in a positive direction because, well, there doesn't seem to be anything else of which I can comment positively. This hotel is in a really great area - and had a rate you couldn't really shake a stick at: but after that, it truly lacks a lot after those plus sides get you through the front door.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I felt it was clean and safe. The staff was very polite and helpful. The food was good.I will be staying at this hotel twice a year to visit my daughter in college. The other guest was friendly.We were able too save some money by having breakfast at the hotel because its included in the price of the room. We had a refrigerator as well. It was better than the one next door.

Room Tip: Non smoking n no pets
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank arlene M
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Clean and affordable for one night passing through KC. Good hot breakfast with sausage gravy (with sausage) and biscuits and belgian waffles, cereal, fruit. Outdoor pool was nice for a late evening swim on a very hot day.

Room Tip: Go one exit south for more restaurant options.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This was a basic hotel and was good for the price. The night we stayed the place was packed with little league baseball teams so it was a little noisy especially since our room overlooked the pool area. Everything was clean and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I find the Sleep Inn hotel good place to stay if you need to take an early morning flight after arriving at the hotel very late in the evening. The rooms are clean but need to be renovated. I can stay in a dated hotel but what angers me was the FOUL ODOR in the halls and in the rooms. If the hotel manager is going to allow pets in the rooms,please clean the carpet so the rooms won't smell like URINE. The cleaning staff is polite, but what ever cleaning solution they are using it makes the hotel smell worst. I will never stay here again. I don't care how cheap the hotel rooms are everyone should be comfortable. YUCK!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This has been my "go-to" hotel choice in the Kansas City area for a while. The prices are right (This time I paid $59.99 plus about $11 in taxes). The rooms are cozy, and they have 27" LCD TVs. It's a newer property as well.

I stayed in an Accessible (Handicap) room, since the availability of rooms was very limited. The room was spacious, and even included a fridge this time. The breakfast in the morning has a wide variety. There are several restaurants within walking distance (Ruby Tuesday, Waffle House, Wendy's). Walmart, Hy-Vee (an awesome Midwest grocery chain), and Zona Rosa (shopping complex) are within a couple of miles. KCI airport is about 4 miles away, and I believe the hotel offers shuttle service.

A few complaints this time (Thanks to TripAdvisor, I'm used to "nit-picking" my hotel room stays): The woman checking me in was on the rude side, and did not have a friendly demeanor. She was sitting at the computer in the lobby when I came to check-in (6 PM, so it wasn't necessarily a slow time), so I'm sure I interrupted her Internet surfing. There was someone else waiting behind me, and she yelled very loudly her co-worker's name to come help. Normally the staff here is very friendly, so I'm sure this is an isolated incident. Customer service makes a world of difference.

My other complaint is that the outdoor pool closed early. The hours are 8 AM to 10 PM. A sign at the front desk states that they will close the pool early if storms are in the area. It was about 9:15 PM, and I decided to take a quick dip in the pool, and I come to find the gate to the pool area was padlocked. I double checked the weather, and there were no storms in the area. I was really irritated, but probably more than I should have been!

I think I've stayed at this property so often that I'll find just about any negative... Don't let the ones I've stated prevent you from staying here. Bottom line: This hotel is newer, clean, and a good value.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MJ1986
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Simple accomidation near the aiprot with a shuttle. Helpful staff and nice breakfast options (included).

Room Tip: Got a room on parking lot side (so I think it was more quiet than the highway side?).
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business