“Frequent guest”

Sleep Inn Airport Kansas City
Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I've reviewed this property twice here on TripAdvisor, and here is my 3rd. This is generally my usual place to stay in KC, because it's such a good value.

I've read some of the other reviews... Don't expect a lot here. It's basic. My room tonight (I'm staying here as I type this) is $44.99 plus tax. This isn't a roach motel, and yes the bathroom is very small (and that dang sliding door to the bathroom). Tonight, my A/C-Heat unit worked great.

I have seen some signs of age here though. The comforter in my room was stained... I saw a stain on the carpet in one of the corners of the room that looked like blood. The smell in my room was funky... almost body-odor like... but not overwhelming. I blame the A/C-Heat unit.

The morning breakfast is great though... Hot (waffles and biscuits/gravy) and cold items. If the breakfast area is too small, take it back to your room... that's what I always do!

All in all, this will continue to be my usual KC overnight stop.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MJ1986

Reviewed 25 November 2012

The Sleep Inn near the airport in Kansas City, MO is one of the larger and older Sleep Inns I have stayed at in recent years. Based on my experiences at other Sleep Inns and the nightly cost of a room near the airport in a large American city, I made my reservation on line, even after reading the reviews of previous guests.

At the Kansas City Airport Sleep Inn, the rooms are small, need updating, and, (based on my experience) require thorough cleaning on a regular basis. Our room, especially the bathroom, was very small and poorly spaced. It did not include a bath tub and the small, oval-shaped shower, was in need of a thorough cleaning and major repairs. Stains on the carpet and spots on the wall also detracted from the appearance of the room and were further indicators of the room's need for updating/cleaning.

The breakfast at this Sleep Inn was satisfactory, contained some hot food items, but was not a memorable one that guests would look forward to. Also, for a multi-story inn/hotel with 100+ rooms, the eating area was extremely small, required guests to eat in very "tight quarters," and must have had a capacity of less than 40 persons (my estimate).

I found all members of the staff to be helpful and friendly. However, during my 2+ day stay at this Sleep Inn, I never saw any supervisory personnel or the inn manager and was surprised at the questionable behaviors of multiple staff members. Based on my observations and as I observed on-duty staff playing games on a computer set aside for guests, eating their late-night dinner in the main lobby, carrrying on personal conversations in public areas, appearing casually rather than professionally attired, providing guests with minimal service..., the need for and importance of additional supervision became obvious to me. After watching the CEO of Sleep Inns and other Choice Hotel brands on the Undercover Boss television program, I wish he would have had this Sleep Inn on his list of scheduled stops.

In conclusion and mainly due to its reasonable price (about $60.00 per night for our two-bed room), I would rate this Sleep Inn as "average." Additionally, the Inn provides guests with a free airport shuttle, an added bonus for anyone needing transportation to or from the airport. Potential guests looking for a reasonable rate at an inn/hotel very close to the Kansas City Airport with free airport shuttle service and within a 10 minute drive of downtown Kansas City will want to consider this Sleep Inn. Guests who seek the typical Sleep Inn-type of lodging will be disappointed with the accomodations at this Inn, but pleased to find an inn with Sleep Inn amenities at such a reasonable price and so close to the Kansas City Airport.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CPGTheATeam
Reviewed 20 November 2012

To say our stay at Sleep Inn was less than stellar would be like saying summers in the Middle East may be warm. From check in to check out our stay was plagued with less than pleasant circumstances. We booked in advance, but arrived to find things were not as promised. The queen-size bed we reserved was actually a full size bed, the shower was built for one of Santa’s elves, and the split unit/ HV-AC made more racket than a nursery school after a red-bull snack break. The room was not cleaned properly. Someone-else’s hair was on the floor in the Shower, in the bathroom, and there was even a long red hair made up in the bedding. The pillows were soft, but were also sized for one of Santa’s elves. I have camped out on better surfaces than the one our bed provided. I was careful not to put my suitcase on the floor or bed after seeing a huge water bug run up one of the walls. Between the noise of the AC & worry some huge bug was going to crawl into bed with us to spoon, neither me nor my wife slept well. After a poor night sleep, and a long flight ahead, we went to the breakfast, but were not at ease eating the food… wondering if roaches or worse may have been crawling over the food. We should have stayed elsewhere, and you should too. The only highlight this place had was the park & fly. The shuttle driver was very friendly, and got us right to our gate with time to spare. I would recommend this place shut down for a few days and take some corrective actions. Phone reservations, check-in, facility maintenance, and house keeping all need some administrative attention. I would not recommend this place to a friend.

Room Tip: Check out other hotels in the area. If you choose to stay here... don't put your suitcase on th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank strattons117
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We've stayed at Sleep Inn's before and not had a problem, but this one will leave you anything but rested. Our heating and cooling unit was LOUD, and it turned off and on all night, so we were kept awake by the change from grinding noise to nothing and back again. Add to this the planes taking off overhead and people shouting in the hallway at random times during the night, and we were left exhausted. The only bright spot in our stay was the free hot breakfast. It was delicious and the area was kept cleaned and stocked.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I cannot complain much for $55 a night. I picked this place because the location was perfect for me, and I only needed a place to stay for two nights: nothing fancy.

The rooms do look old, but they were clean and quiet. The beds were pretty comfy. Now, do not expect a fantastic breakfast there or an excellent Internet connection. If you want to eat something nice, there is Waffle House just down the road.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I really had low expectations when I booked my stay here because it was so cheap. I really just needed a place to sleep to catch a flight the next morning. I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Clean room and great front desk staff. It was also pretty quiet for as crowded as it was. The only thing sort of strange was there is no bath tub in the bathroom, but I never use the tub anyway - just the shower. The paperwork said the breakfast was "deluxe" but it was your standard motel fare. It would do in a pinch. This place is one heck of a value and was quite nice. It is not a fancy place but better than the other bargain chains.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I did not even stay at this hotel. I tried cancelling a reservation and Jason treated me like I was the worst person he ever met. He was rude, brash, and a complete jerk. I did not know the cancellation policy and instead of politely informing me, he treated me like a complete idiot and threatened me to not stay at their hotels again. Trust me, I won't.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo