“Would not stay again....”

Super 8 Kansas City at Barry Road
Ranked #68 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
“Would not stay again....”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked this hotel only because most hotels were booked due to a convention that was in town which in fact I was involved in. I was here for 6 nights....It started off bad and just got worse. I arrived at the hotel very early morning after a 12 hours drive only to find out that their credit card machine was down and I was told if I didn't have cash to pay for all 6 nights I needed to find another hotel till the next day and the management could fix the problem. This room was booked for a month with all information entered for payment at that time. And to top it off the employee was not even apologetic at all and in fact she acted as if we were a bother. After a while she finally was able to get the machine to work after 2 phone calls to management. The continental breakfast consist of store bought mini cinnamon rolls, water down coffee, bread for toast, and they did have a waffle machine for waffles really nothing was worth eating so plan on going out and getting breakfast. Once getting to my room, at first I thought this is not so bad but after being there a day I noticed more. The bathroom fixtures were cracks and old. The carpet was filthy, my white sicks were black and once I took them off and stepped for just a second on the carpet to slide a pair of shoes on the carpet felt sticky as if they were just caked with dirt and probably some type of carpet freshener. I was given 2 towels, 2 washcloths, and 1 hand towel while most hotels usually will have 4 towels when 2 guests are staying in one room. The beds were uncomfortable and old. The deodorizer used after room service was so strong throughout the hall way and rooms it was disgusting. The entire hotel is in much need of an update. And several nights that I arrived back to the hotels there were 3-4 Hispanic males drinking beer sitting on the sidewalk as you walked in.. I ran through these reviews prior to booking this room and honestly, I do not see how any of these guest could rate this hotel as "great" or "excellent". And one even said they had a "great breakfast" I guess watered down coffee and store bought cinnamon rolls is great... However there is a Panera bread right around the corner...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Allen p, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Kansas City at Barry Road, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our property. I would just like to depend our Hotel for the sake of future review readers here on our website. I would like to let you know that we are serving fresh made cinnamon rolls from bakery instead of frozen rolls. Also, we just had our entire hotel carpet cleaned 2 months ago. And lastly, we have company provided coffee maker which is hooked up to water line which took required amount of water automatically. I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Eastsound
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Okay, so here's the deal: there are at least TWO Super 8 motels that call themselves "the Kansas City airport" Super 8. One is located on Barry Road, the other has a Plaza address. Of course, one wonders how the franchise would allow this, but that is another matter.

Both advertise that they have airport shuttle service.

I am a senior traveler and was alone on a business trip. My plan was to fly into KS City, pick up a rental car and stay overnight before driving to my destination elsewhere in KS. Further, three days later, I was planning to return the rental car at the airport, catch the shuttle back to the same motel, and in the morning, catch a shuttle back to the airport for my flight. It seemed reasonable to make reservations at the Barry Rd Super 8 as it was described as the "airport" Super 8.

After my flight to KS City airport, I picked up my rental car and drove to the motel. The woman at the motel desk explained to me that I would have additional charge to have shuttle service three days hence because she called it "park and ride".

Upon completion of my business, I drove back to KS City three days later. After returning by car at the airport, I caught a Super 8 shuttle that would take me to the hotel - I thought. Unfortunately, the shuttle that showed up drove me to the "airport" Super 8 with the Plaza address. Wrong motel. A fellow driving the van was kind enough to phone the Barry Rd Super 8 and request that they send their shuttle to pick me up at the Super 8 Plaza location. I was very tired and was upset that I found myself in such a distressful situation. Further, the Barry Road Super 8 refused to come pick me up. He graciously -kindly- drove me to the Barry Rd Super 8. When I entered the Barry Road office, the woman working there appeared both sheepish AND was argumentative. When I asked her about charging me for shuttle service to the airport the next morning, I pointed out to her that I was not parking any car and should not be charged for "park and ride".

The room was the same kind of room as the previous room had been. Nevertheless, she charged me the extra amount for the second night.

2 Thank 541SusanM
Allen p, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Kansas City at Barry Road, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and detailed review regarding your most recent stay. Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience and comments. I am so disappointed to hear that you were so dissatisfied with our accommodations and services and that our rating for your experience is so low. I'm glad you found our location to be convenient, though your impression of our services and hospitality is quite distressing. We hope to see you again and that you'll finally be truly impressed with our improvements. Thank you for sharing your experience so that we can benefit from your perspective of our hospitality and services.

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Ralston
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We've stayed at many Super 8s before, and this was the best one we've ever stayed at. The room was beautiful, super clean and had nice huge waterfall pictures hanging up. The breakfast was great and they kept it well stocked. The manager was super friendly and he was so courteous and quick with getting us checked in and checked out. I would absolutely stay again!

• Stayed June 2014
Allen p, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Kansas City at Barry Road, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We appreciate you giving your feedback about your experience.
It is so nice to hear such a wonderful review about our Hotel.
Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. Please advise us of your trip and we will be more than happy to ensure you receive the highest level of service.
Thank you for your business, we look forward to your next stay.
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Very clean and the bed was awesome! Room was very up to date. Used the laundry as well...that was a bit out dated but so what! It did the job. Overall the room was very nice and will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Allen p, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Kansas City at Barry Road, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
We appreciate you giving your feedback about your experience.
It is so nice to hear such a wonderful review about our Hotel. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. Please advise us of your trip and we will be more than happy to ensure you receive the highest level of service.
Thank you for your business, we look forward to your next stay.
Kansas City
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The room was very clean and I appreciated that a lot. All the accommodations like the cable and fridge were convenient and worked well. The only downside was the breakfast - it was not very good and the only thing I thought tasted good was the yogurt.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Allen p, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Kansas City at Barry Road, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. We hope that you will be more satisfied on your next stay should you decide to stay with us again in the future.
Please advise us of your trip and we will be more than happy to ensure you receive the highest level of service. Thank you!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Please be advised during my stay my room was booked to another party, while I was still a guest which intially put me in a very difficult situation. Upon arriving at this hotel on 06/03, I had informed the hotel staff that I would more than likely be extending my stay throughout the entire month of June. The hotel staff failed to notify me that this would not be possible due to 25 rooms being pre-booked for a convention that was in the Kansas City, MO area. On 06/05, I called the front desk to extend my stay and was informed my room had been booked, and I would have to check out on 06/06. Although this situation ended up saving me approximately $400.00 by booking a room for the month with another hotel at a lower rate, I am very disappointed in the customer service I received at this Super8. Up until this point, I have been a loyal customer, and have stayed at Super8 hotels in various states while I travel across the country on business. However, based on my treatment, I will be hesitant in utilizing your hotel in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience during your stay in our hotel. It is disheartening to hear about your recent experience at our hotel. We value your business, and we appreciate that you always choose to stay at Super 8 when you travel. We hope you can still give us a chance t change the perception that you now have on our Hotel. Thank you for the opportunity to grow and improve more, we certainly hope to be of service to you again very soon.
We look forward to your next visit.