“2 0f 3 rooms did not match reviews on TA”

Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Second floor hallway had an odor similiar ro a nursing home, 'room one' had hair in the bed so we took it apart down to mattress cover which was about 80% covered in black hairs. House keeping 'closed' the room for cleaning and moved us 2 doors down, room 2 had a very strong disinfectant odor and the heat accidently got turned on in the morning and it smelled, putrid... much worse than when the heat is first turned on in the fall.

Had a reservation to return 2 weeks later after a long flight, ask to see another room on the first floor, it was definately a better experience, had reserved for 2 night and there was a 'mixup' and only had one night reserved ~ that did get resolved and worked out OK in the end.

The staff ~ over all, was pleasant and helpful. Happy hour offers amply food and drink if that is of interest to a guest. Breakfast is more than the 'muffin and banana' fare. Convient location. Comfortable bed and pillows. Internet, pool, hot tub, exercise room, lobby and eating area all look nice.

I probably would try a different place next time, altho, I would also know to proceed with caution if I did decide to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport

Reviewed 12 August 2010

Drury Inns are usually a good money bargain - nice sized rooms, free breakfast, happy hour, 1-hour of long distance calling, etc. There was a mix of professional and family travelers when I was there: the hotel was busy but the staff was friendly and attentive. Drurys have standard layouts with rooms above the lobby area for several floors, plus a main halway. I strongly recommend finding a room down the main corridor and not near or above the lobby, which gets very noisy. This hotel has a small exercise facility with a few treadmills, elliptical machine and recumbant bike, plus a pool. Rooms are mostly clean with flat-screen tvs, good channel selection, free internet service and decent water pressure. Breakfast selection is okay; free happy hour is popular. This restaurant is next to a Wendy's and Cracker Barrel so you don't have to drive for a meal, plus has free parking and airport shuttle.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2010

My family stopped here as a break in a long road trip. I had requested a larger room as we had a third child who would be sleeping on an air mattress...so they ended up giving us a handicap room (which was huge!) Upon entering the room, the air inside was stuffy, warm and stale. It was so warm that it never did get cool enough for my husband's liking. The room was functional but dated and dark...complete with a large wall of faux brick. The highlights of the room would be a sink separate from the shower/toilet area and the large flat screen television. We loved the night's drinks and hot appetizers. The kids enjoyed the pool and popcorn later as a snack as well. Breakfast was more than adequate and the staff was very friendly. Overall, I would have to say it was a quaint stay for a brief overnight.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2010

My son and I stayed overnight before I flew back to Seattle. We picked this Drury at random on the internet, and I'm so glad we did! The hotel was very clean and quiet, the staff extremely friendly and helpful, and the amenities were great. We enjoyed the evening food and breakfast service.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We will book here again. The low price doesn't usually reflect this level of value. They feed you in the evening (not just a snack, but a meal sized snack), and they feed you a wonderful hot breakfast... both above normal. The rooms were very nice, beds and bedding were very comfortable, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. For this rate you normally do not get a suite so well appointed (2 nice FS TV's, microwave, fridge, nice sitting room, desk, plenty of drawers and storage). It was a very good experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IdahoTraveler2010
Reviewed 17 May 2010

My wife and I stayed here for two nights when picking our daughter up from college. The staff were very friendly, the hotel is located close to the airport and Zona Rosa Shopping center. Rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast was included and a very nice feature. The indoor/outdoor pool and spa were great. The fitness room includes only treadmills, eliptical and bike-I would have liked some weight equipment but otherwise fine. Beds were a little too soft for my liking.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2010

The Drury defines itself as a "mid-range hotel with limited services", and using that criteria as an evaluation the property does some things very well. The public areas are inviting, well-appointed and comfortable. The rooms are spacious and include ample light from five light fixtures, a large and comfortable chair, a desk and a flat screen TV with an excellent picture and good choices for TV channels. Excellent wi-fi access makes using the laptop easy. The bathroom is of rather curious design, and feels somewhat confining, but probably adequate for a mid-range hotel.

The hotel provides snacks in the evening between 5pm and 7pm as well as beer, wine or mixed drinks. We had a quick snack of baked potato and meat balls, which was sufficient for our needs. Breakfast is exceptionally well done. The breakfast room is attractive and clean. Everything is well supplied, and there are plenty of choices from waffles, to sausage and eggs.

I have only few concerns that prevent me from giving this hotel an excellent rating. The first is that the beds were not comfortable. The pillows were stuffed with some type of impervious synthetic that would not conform to one's head regardless of what one did. I fought with the pillow all night and spent the following day with a pain in my neck. The bed linen is a strange design I have not seen before. The bed appears to be triple-sheeted, but actually the top sheet wraps around a light blanket. Again, not the most comfortable arrangement.

The parking situation is unique. You must enter and exit through gates that are controlled by someone in the hotel. This means you must wait until someone in the hotel notices that you are arriving or leaving. I do not know why this exists. The area did not seem to require this type of security. If you were driving a truck, bus, motor home, or pulling a trailer the entrance and exit would be difficult because it is a very narrow entrance and exit.

My final concern is that the hotel is significantly over-priced for a "mid-range" hotel. We selected it because the location was perfect for us, near the interstate and on the northwest side of Kansas City so we avoided commuters the following morning. I would not, however, select this hotel based only on other features because it did not represent a good value..

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Busy-retired
kimachappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2010

We appreciate hearing from our guests and thank you for your feedback. Your comments have been shared with hotel management, who will check on the condition of our pillows and mattresses to make sure our guests can enjoy a good nights sleep. Our parking lot is gated to provide an extra element of safety and security for our guests. To get in and out of the gate, guests can use their room keys and do not have to wait for the hotel to control the gates. At Drury, it is our goal to provide guests with a value package including clean rooms, friendly service, convenient accommodations and all of our extras. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope you will consider Drury hotels again when traveling in the future.