“Great hotel for early flight”

Best Western Plus Kansas City Airport-Kci East
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We chose this hotel because of its close proximity to airport and it worked out great. Room was very clean, bed was comfy, but what made it a winner was the early breakfast served. First hotel to have breakfast available at 3:30-4:00am for those flying out of KCI early in the morning. Only cereal, pastries, yogurt, nothing fancy but adequate. Will definitely keep this hotel in mind if early flight again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Our baseball team stayed here and the staff was really nice - very clean rooms. The hotel is near the airport but did not hear the planes. The bed was firm and room had a fold out couch. We were amazed how clean the room was.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We are a family of four that recently stayed here to visit other family in the area. We enjoyed our stay here, the hotel seems fairly new and is in very good shape. Upon check in the staff was very courteous and we were on our way to our room quickly. Pros: room was very clean and attractive, bathroom was great - lots of counter space (I love that), nice marble tile, great shower with tall shower head (I'm 6'4"). Another commenter said there's no bathroom fan and they were correct although there is a vent directly above the shower head which I think serves that purpose, although the bathroom still can get a little steamy. Nice little microwave and fridge, new LG HD TV with remote that's apparently cleaned for each guest (haven't seen that before, interesting). We enjoyed the small pool although there was no hot tub which my wife was kind of hoping for. Breakfast bar was fairly good with the usual assortment of sausage, biscuits & gravy, belgian waffle maker, cereal, yogurt, fruit, milk, juices, and assorted muffins & danishes. No donuts. Cons: beds were OK, not great. Our main issue was that the main window in the room would not close completely (this was room 308), so all night we had to listen to the wind whistling through the small opening, which was annoying. However, I'm happy to point out that when I told the front desk about this the following morning the staff did not hesitate to switch us to another similar room, which we appreciated very much especially since this was Memorial Day weekend. Our new room had no window issues and we slept much better the following night. Did not use the wi-fi so I don't know how well it worked. Pool and business center areas are both pretty small and looked fine as long as there wasn't a crowd. Public areas were kept very clean during our stay. Overall a great hotel and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ChemSteve
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This hotel is close to the airport. Well kept and comfortable. Beds were great. Was quiet. No fan in bathroom,strange for relatively new building. No restaurants close, need to go down freeway couple of exits for many choices. Have stayed in many hotels in this area...at this time this is the place...Great option -good quality and price for a place to sleep before an early flight.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Great rate, convenient to airport, room in good condition. I didn't have a chance to try the breakfast, pool, or workout room, but I got a good night's sleep (I had a room on the third floor), and the staff seemed very pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for a morning flight out of KCI. Hotel was a good value and very clean. Pros include a workout room, swimming pool, and proximity to airport. There is a hot breakfast, but I left too early to partake. There are great little trails around some ponds across the street from the hotel. Be aware there are not restaurants within walking distance, but some options for short drives. The hotel was very very noise. The breakfast area is setup in the lobby so the noise seems to echo throughout the entire lobby. The pool was also very noise and you could hear screaming of kids throughout the first floor corridors. Luckily I was on the third floor, however, I could hear people in other rooms and people in the hall clearly. Even worse was that there was no bathroom fan. I like to let it run to drown out the noise but this was not an option. Also, the bathroom gets incredibly hot and steamy without a fan. Also be aware that there was not hot tub, I guess I just assumed that with the pool there would be a hot tub but was disappointed to find there wasn't. Also, even though the hotel was not full, the workout room and pool appeared to always be full so never could utilize them. Despite these things, the service was impeccable and I was extremely impressed by all of the staff as well as the shuttle driver to the airport, but especially the gentleman who checked me in. This alone would make me stay here again if I'm ever flying out of KCI.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the third floor, far away from the noise of the pool and lobby area.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Zippy-zappy
Reviewed 19 May 2013

When I showed up, the attendant barely said 2 words to me, not sure if he didn't want to be working, or what the deal was, but it felt a little awkward. Then I went to my room and was disappointed. The room was plenty nice, but due to a disability I asked in my reservation to please have a jacuzzi room, and I was willing to pay extra for it. Being a reward member, I thought they would try to accommodate or at least contact me if they were unable to. So seeing the room did not have a jacuzzi I called downstairs, and the same attendant barely said two words again, I asked what was the problem, were there no jacuzzis available?, and again the response "no". No explanation, nothing. I was disappointed because had they told me they couldn't accommodate this, I could have looked elsewhere, but I felt like they would just rather not tell you and you show up so they still get their money.
Other than this disappointment, the room was very nice for the price. Another reviewer mentioned it not being cool in the room, and i have to agree. The temperature went from too cold to too hot all night. Even though we had the temperature set, and the auto button pushed i woke up at least once an hour drenched in sweat. Then once the ac would kick back on i was freezing. So it seems they have trouble regulating the temperature. The waffles in the morning were delicious, although the breakfast area is very small, and there was a large group just sitting in there socializing - they were done eating- making it necessary for other guests to have to bring their food to their room. I realize this isn't the hotels fault, but when leaving we saw the area was still filled to capacity, so maybe a little larger area or a few tables would be great.
So, aside from my huge disappointment of not being able to bathe appropriately, the rest of the stay wasn't too bad for the price we paid. I've stayed in better, and I've stayed in worse.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends