“What is that smell??”

Ranked #86 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Madeira, Portugal
“What is that smell??”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We found out late in the afternoon that we needed to spend two nights in south KC. Drove down after looking at ten different hotels. We unfortunately picked this one. We walked in to very slow service with lots of people trying to get check in or questions answered. The lady behind the counter was very nice, but slow. The room stank. No other way to explain but think of wet dog mixed with a vacuum cleaner broken bag. The bed squeaked very loudly. Wasted the money booking a king size. Next morning my wife tried to get moved to another room. The lady at the front desk did not care that the room was terrible. Her and one other worker were constantly talking about other employees and how terrible a job they do. They complained about about their jobs, other employees, the food they had to set out, everything you can imagine. No service, no help, place was filthy, and the tub dripped. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear about the slow check in process you experienced and the unpleasant odor you encountered in your room. As well, I apologize that our staff did not conduct themselves in a professional manner. I will be meeting with our staff to review these issues to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 April 2014

First night in hotel all they had was smoking room, got in late so I took it with the understanding I would have a non-smoking room available next day for two week stay planned. Manager Whitney came to my room knocked on door and evicted me at 11:30 am next morning. I explained I had a reservation for non-smoking room for day two and asked to stay in my room until my non-smoking room was ready. She said I'd have to pack up and leave and come back later. Cancelled my reservation on the spot and went to a nice Marriot where I have tons of points to use. Take my advice, pay the extra money and use a hotel that gives points towards free nights. You do not get much benefit from the low price extended stay gives you, stinky rooms and rude staff.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that you were unaware of our payment and reservation policy. In response to your feedback, I am making sure we review the policies with every guest at check in. As well, I apologize that you were given a smoking room and that our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please feel free to contact me directly, at bwilmurth@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The staff was very helpful throughout our stay. A few items I needed the staff promptly brought to me. I would stay with them again! My son loved the chocolate muffins for breakfast and I the coffee! :-)

• Stayed March 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Kristi – I appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our staff and our grab-and-go breakfast during your visit with us. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with our team. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
Overland, Missouri
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The manager here at this hotel is great. She does an awesome job. She finds excellent help for the hotel to provide wonderful helpful assistance away from home. Thanks for hiring Whitney. And thank Whitney for hiring Ina, Tania, Sherry and Anureka.

Room Tip: If you have kids, then stay on the 1st floor where Ina will help supervise them. If you smoke you w...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Noel - The team and I appreciate your kind remarks. I am proud of our staff for providing you with a "home away from home". I will be sure to share your kind remarks with Whitney and that other members of our staff.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to providing you with the excellent service during your stay at Extended Stay America Kansas City South.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The staff is outstanding, and may i say, extremely helpful. They have been very informative from pointing out the greatest places to dine and just the general knowledge of the city. The house keeping is excellent and always on time.. Absolutely no complaints..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that our staff has been helpful in finding your way around the city. As well it is great to know that the entire team has been attentive to all of your needs. We look forward to hosting you in the future!
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Friendly staff, but the rooms had various problems from understocked kitchen supplies that other rooms did have in place to dirty refrigerator, etc. It is usually fine when it is just me and not when I'm bringing a group. Reasonably priced.

Room Tip: These rooms are inexpensive and doable for a must do situation. But, for an extended stay with a gro...
Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Kim - The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. It upsets me to hear that your room was not properly stocked and the level of cleanliness was not in line with our company's high standards. I am sorry for your experience. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is going to inventory each of our guest rooms, ensuring they are stocked correctly moving forward. As well, our housekeeping staff is working to enhance our cleaning services so cleanliness is not an issue in the future.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at kcs@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel for an annual conference several times and have never had any issues. Unfortunately this was the worst hotel experience I've ever had in my life. I started receiving bug bites the first night of four nights. It wasn't until waking up the next day and having discovered more bug bites that I concluded that I was receiving the bites from the hotel. I brought the issue to attention of the front desk clerk immediately. I returned to the bug infested room and sat on the floor for TWO HOURS before anything was done. I had to call corporate at this point because nothing was being done. Finally a maintenance man came to inspect the room, he did find bed bugs in the head board! I was completely disgusted and horrified that I had been exposed to a blood sucking parasite through no fault of my own. My luggage had to be discarded with no replacement. I did recieve a full refund for all four nights, although nothing could be done to replace the time we had lost that day. It took half of the day to inspect and sterilize our luggage and clothing. I had to wear a sheet for three hours while I waited on my clothes to be washed. I am still in utter shock that something like this happened to me. I received about 7 bites on my face alone, and even more on both of my arms. Every time I look in the mirror I am disgusted at the thought of a parasite having been on my face! Because of what happened at this hotel I am anxious to stay in hotels in general now. I regret saying that I will NEVER be returning to this hotel again in my lifetime. If I wasn't so embarrassed about the situation I would probably be more proactive in discouraging everyone I know from staying at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank advicefrommonica
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Monica - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the level of cleanliness in your room and any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. The situation you described is not the norm, and one we take very seriously. In response, I am working with the staff to ensure that we improve how we handle these types of issues and limit the amount of time it takes for us to react. Also, your room has been deep cleaned and the housekeeping staff is striving to enhance their cleaning procedures and inspection policies moving forward to ensure this type of situation is not repeated.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. I invite you to contact me, at kcs@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area for International House of Prayer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Days Inn & Suites Kansas City South
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Airport - Plaza Circle
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Airport - Tiffany Springs
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave
Extended Stay America - Kansas C...
#27 of 37 in Overland Park

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South? Share your experiences!