“Awesome staff!”

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South
Ranked #85 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Megan, Kelly and James are all so helpful and nice! Somehow the reservation gut messed up the first night but they put me in a larger room to make it right. The bathtubs and kitchens need to be redone (I stayed in 3 different rooms and 2 of the bathtubs were really bad) and not all the rooms have cookware, silverware and coffeepots but staff was great about providing this kind of stuff when I asked. Dish-soap would have been helpful...

There were dead bugs on the plates in the cupboards which was icky but I never saw any live bugs. There was a live fly in the bedsheets in one of the rooms, like it must have gotten trapped while housekeeping was making the bed. TV's are older and some of them are very small (in the single rooms) but the bed was really comfy in one of the single rooms I was in. (Not so much in the double room or the second single room.) The curtains don't all the way close in some of the rooms.

The $100 deposit was a real hassle and I think it's wrong for them to require it when guests use a credit card...

This is a great location because it's close to everything but the noise from the highway is really bad if you stay on the back side of the building...the front is pretty quiet though. (When housekeeping isn't yelling at each other and banging stuff around).

All-in-all, it's not a horrible place to stay. I wouldn't want to pay the full price but I got a deal on Travelocity so it worked for what I needed at the time!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front don't have as much noise from traffic on the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Iwan T

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Thanks to Frankie (spelling may be incorrect) for going above and beyond for ensuring myself and my other guests in other rooms were given such high professionalism. Even though the rooms were horrible, she should be transferred to another location with higher quality staff and grounds. She deserves much much more!

• Stayed: April 2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff, especially Frankie. Still, I’m disappointed to learn that our overall accommodations did not meet your expectations. To uphold our company’s high standards, the staff and I will revisit our company’s guest policies to ensure your experience is not repeated. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, kcs@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We found out late in the afternoon that we needed to spend two nights in south KC. Drove down after looking at ten different hotels. We unfortunately picked this one. We walked in to very slow service with lots of people trying to get check in or questions answered. The lady behind the counter was very nice, but slow. The room stank. No other way to explain but think of wet dog mixed with a vacuum cleaner broken bag. The bed squeaked very loudly. Wasted the money booking a king size. Next morning my wife tried to get moved to another room. The lady at the front desk did not care that the room was terrible. Her and one other worker were constantly talking about other employees and how terrible a job they do. They complained about about their jobs, other employees, the food they had to set out, everything you can imagine. No service, no help, place was filthy, and the tub dripped. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear about the slow check in process you experienced and the unpleasant odor you encountered in your room. As well, I apologize that our staff did not conduct themselves in a professional manner. I will be meeting with our staff to review these issues to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

First night in hotel all they had was smoking room, got in late so I took it with the understanding I would have a non-smoking room available next day for two week stay planned. Manager Whitney came to my room knocked on door and evicted me at 11:30 am next morning. I explained I had a reservation for non-smoking room for day two and asked to stay in my room until my non-smoking room was ready. She said I'd have to pack up and leave and come back later. Cancelled my reservation on the spot and went to a nice Marriot where I have tons of points to use. Take my advice, pay the extra money and use a hotel that gives points towards free nights. You do not get much benefit from the low price extended stay gives you, stinky rooms and rude staff.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that you were unaware of our payment and reservation policy. In response to your feedback, I am making sure we review the policies with every guest at check in. As well, I apologize that you were given a smoking room and that our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please feel free to contact me directly, at bwilmurth@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The staff was very helpful throughout our stay. A few items I needed the staff promptly brought to me. I would stay with them again! My son loved the chocolate muffins for breakfast and I the coffee! :-)

• Stayed: March 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Kristi – I appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our staff and our grab-and-go breakfast during your visit with us. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with our team. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

The manager here at this hotel is great. She does an awesome job. She finds excellent help for the hotel to provide wonderful helpful assistance away from home. Thanks for hiring Whitney. And thank Whitney for hiring Ina, Tania, Sherry and Anureka.

Room Tip: If you have kids, then stay on the 1st floor where Ina will help supervise them. If you smoke you w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Noel - The team and I appreciate your kind remarks. I am proud of our staff for providing you with a "home away from home". I will be sure to share your kind remarks with Whitney and that other members of our staff.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to providing you with the excellent service during your stay at Extended Stay America Kansas City South.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

The staff is outstanding, and may i say, extremely helpful. They have been very informative from pointing out the greatest places to dine and just the general knowledge of the city. The house keeping is excellent and always on time.. Absolutely no complaints..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that our staff has been helpful in finding your way around the city. As well it is great to know that the entire team has been attentive to all of your needs. We look forward to hosting you in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Best Host Inn Plaza Kansas City South
Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Northeast - Worlds of Fun
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Overland Park - Nall Ave
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City - Grandview

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South? Share your experiences!