“Not worth what it costs”

Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South
Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Minnetonka, Minnesota
“Not worth what it costs”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The rooms cost about $100 a night and so not worth that! First our family had booked 2 rooms and were forced to take a 3rd cause no double rooms were available, and they made us pay the tax for that room, then my husband and I we're put on a smoking floor when we had all asked for non smoking, then our toilet obviously had been used, prob by a cleaning person since our sheets smelled clean, when we flushed it, the toilet got clogged, we called the front desk, took them about 10mins to come up and they handed us the plunger to do it ourselves! That is your job, we are the guests, if we are paying $100 I expect better service, I've been to hotels cheaper than this and way nicer! We only stayed here because it was close to my aunt's house and was recommended by her daughter, needless to say we will never stay here again at least not for the price of $100 a night, this place is only worth $50 if even!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank dsween13
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. The situation you described regarding the room type availability and the plumbing issue is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I would also like to apologize for the poor service you received from my staff regarding the plumbing issue. I met with the team to review customer service standards and reservation procedures to ensure that your experience does not happen again. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at bwilmurth@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Red Bud
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I knew it was cheap, but there were dirty carpets. no blow dryer, scratchiest towels ever, no hangers, & AN EXTRA $20 PER DAY FOR MAID SERVICE! Staff was very nice, but I wanted to strangle the owner.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I am happy to read your remarks about staff; however, I am very sorry to read that the carpet had cleanliness issues. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is adjusting our daily common area cleaning. As well, I do apologize that your room's towels and amenities did not meet your expectations. Your feedback on these issues will be useful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at bwilmurth@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Richmond
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I never write reviews. But here we go. This place was disgusting. My 8 year old could clean better. Maybe if the staff was outside less and inside more they could keep the place clean. For the price my expectations were reasonable. I didn't expect fancy, just functional and clean. This place
Had neither of Those. Tried to find a different place to stay but every place was full. All 5 of us got stuffy noses from our 2 rooms. I read through the reviewed After a few days of staying here and see manager apologizing, please stop apologizing and do something about the rooms cleanliness!!

• Stayed June 2014
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that your room was not clean. To prevent this from happening again, my team is learning a new housekeeping procedure. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at bwilmurth@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 14 June 2014

keep looking - not clean...they want 200 words to say it is not clean and is a dump so I will do this chore so it gets posted. You could make the room free and I would not stay here again. Again, do yourself a favor and forget this place. At last I got the 200 word required to make this post.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your wife - save yourself the embarrassment and book somewere else - I did...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Al M
The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I was disheartened to read that the hotel was not property cleaned during your stay. In response to your review, I will be working with my housekeeping staff to review our cleanliness standards and procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly, at bwilmurth@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I travel all over the US and we should have known better than to book a place without reading the reviews.

Starting at the entrance the appearance was run down. There are cigarette butts everywhere outside. We forged ahead to find dirty tile floors and stained floor mats at the entry. It was late so we went ahead and checked in. The elevator reflected the same untidiness. When the doors opened I was hopeful that someone had just walked through the lobby with something messy, but to my surprise the tile floors were filthy and the hall carpets looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. I can ignore the stains but there is no reason for dust bunnies.

I sent an email to the corporate website and received a quick response. I've seen them working today, but I'm honestly surprised to read the reviews and see the same problems only days ago. Management appears to be responsive online, but not responsible for their staff on a daily basis.

Think twice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Preston B
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I needed a room for one night close to 435. I got a great rate from Priceline but this location is horrible. The good: It's close to the interstate, restaraunts, and stores and I didn't hear a lot of traffic noise. Symone and Frankie were very helpful and friendly but some of the other staff were arguing during checkout and that looks very unprofessional to guests. I arrived late in the evening and Symone got me checked in quickly. I went up to the room (the hallways were filthy) and checked the room for cleanliness and found hairs on the sheets, dirty towel in the bathroom, and it smelled of smoke. I moved to another room (after a trip downstairs) and this room had the same smell, curtains that didn't close, a bathtub that had clearly not been cleaned after someone had taken a bath. Place another call and Symone came upstairs to see the room and agreed it was unacceptable. We did walk the hall and found another room that was acceptable. The bed sheets were clean and that bathtub was "cleaner" than the other room but I found the drain was slow moving and filled up around my ankles when showering. In the morning I realized there was no iron or ironing board and I had to go down to get one myself. Frankie was very friendly and professional and apologized for not meeting my expectations. She gave me a voucher for a free night and I will definitely use it but just at another location. With a remodel, deep cleaning, and better housekeeping staff this could be a great place. The rooms are spacious and the kitchenette is great for guests that are staying for a longer visit but they're just simply filthy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Denise D
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Denise – Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room and customer service during your stay. In response to your comments, I will meet with the staff to review our cleaning procedures and guest protocol to ensure your experience is not repeated. Your feedback is very important to us. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, kcs@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future!
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Megan, Kelly and James are all so helpful and nice! Somehow the reservation gut messed up the first night but they put me in a larger room to make it right. The bathtubs and kitchens need to be redone (I stayed in 3 different rooms and 2 of the bathtubs were really bad) and not all the rooms have cookware, silverware and coffeepots but staff was great about providing this kind of stuff when I asked. Dish-soap would have been helpful...

There were dead bugs on the plates in the cupboards which was icky but I never saw any live bugs. There was a live fly in the bedsheets in one of the rooms, like it must have gotten trapped while housekeeping was making the bed. TV's are older and some of them are very small (in the single rooms) but the bed was really comfy in one of the single rooms I was in. (Not so much in the double room or the second single room.) The curtains don't all the way close in some of the rooms.

The $100 deposit was a real hassle and I think it's wrong for them to require it when guests use a credit card...

This is a great location because it's close to everything but the noise from the highway is really bad if you stay on the back side of the building...the front is pretty quiet though. (When housekeeping isn't yelling at each other and banging stuff around).

All-in-all, it's not a horrible place to stay. I wouldn't want to pay the full price but I got a deal on Travelocity so it worked for what I needed at the time!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front don't have as much noise from traffic on the highway.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Airport - Plaza Circle
Best Host Inn Plaza Kansas City South
Days Inn & Suites Kansas City South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City - Grandview

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - South? Share your experiences!