“Nice Hotel, Excellent Location.”

Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Stadium
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Buffalo, New York
“Nice Hotel, Excellent Location.”
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I stayed here for a week in September, with the purpose of joining a scheduled business trip with some pleasure. The Red Sox were in town and I thought it would be nice to catch a game or two...even if it was by myself. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the hotel was directly across the highway from Kaufmann Stadium (5 minute walk) and it was overrun with fellow Red Sox fans. The room was large, but average...I didn't expect much for $75 and I was happy. It also had free internet service, which was a plus. (Join the gold key club or google esaver for best rates)

The Red Sox/Royals series was 2-2, but I was able to get a $50 ticket right behind the Sox dugout for one game. A fellow fan gave me a ticket 10 rows off the field for another night and rain scared everyone away, so I was front row again. They have done a nice job updating the K.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Very nice,clean rooms. Shower was good. Stayed to go to the Chief- Raiders game. saved money on parking. Breakfast was pretty good. Also there evening reception was decent. Would def. stay again

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 1 October 2009

If you can get a good rate - which often comes right from Drury's web site, stay here. You'll like it and if you're going to a game, you'll save money on parking!

We've stayed here a few times in the last few years and it's always been nice, the staff has always been great and the food is always free.

But, in the interest of full disclosure, it's not the nicest Drury property in the KC metro. I haven't stayed at them all, but, the Overland Park location is a nicer building with bigger rooms and I think the Merriam staff is the nicest. While perfect for a game, there's not much else out by the stadium to see (try Independence Mall, a few exits east for shopping) but I've never had a bad night at a Drury anywhere and you won't have one here. So, I always pick my KC lodging to be at a Drury and I always look for the cheapest rate during my stay via Drury's web site.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Oklahoma
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My family of four stayed here one night -- August 6, 2009 -- the first night of a late-summer, pre-back-to-school getaway that included some barbecue, a couple of Royals baseball games and a day each at Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun. We booked over the phone the night before (we decided to leave a day earlier than we originally planned) and were pleased that we found accommodations to suit our last-minute plans on such short notice.

Our only real requirement was an outdoor pool that stayed open late so the kids could stretch their legs from travel and get in a little swim after our late arrival and check-in. Turns out, the pool was ice cold for some reason, which made night swimming unpleasant for mom and dad but didn’t seem to faze the kids in the least. Following our swim, we took the kids next door to Denny’s for some late night dessert. Food and service were good.

We booked a non-smoking room on the fifth floor, but smelled smoke as soon as we stepped foot on the floor. Our room may as well have been smokers’ lounge with the amount of smoke inside. The smoke actually got worse with every passing moment and we discovered that it was coming from around the locked doorway of the adjoining room. We aren't complainers and tried to tough it out. I even put a wet towel on the floor at the base of the door to no avail. We even heard people walking in the hall mention the amount of smoke present.

An hour or so after lights-out, we could handle no more. I called the front desk and inquired about a room switch. I pretty much knew the answer before I asked since this hotel frequently fills up when the Royals are hosting (which they were).

Hotel staff was apologetic. They explained that half of the fifth floor was reserved for smokers and the other half for non-smokers. I mentioned the adjoining room being suspect and they said that room was also supposed to be non-smoking, too. They offered to discount the room and I accepted. We toughed it out -- with headaches and a few coughs -- and managed some limited rest. Upon checkout, front desk staff again apologized sincerely.

I am sure staying on a different floor would have changed our experience altogether. I mean, as busy as it was, the hotel was never noisy. And one of the big positives about the Drury is its complimentary breakfast bar. It is also in close proximity to the Truman Sports Complex (Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums), so it very convenient for those planning to attend games.

I would only suggest that you avoid the fifth floor altogether if you have issues with cigarette smoke.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Sun-N-Beach-Fun
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Went to catch the Royals for a couple of midweek games. Staff was warm and friendly, rooms were as always very nice with clean comfortable beds and new flat screen tv's. The bathroom is small, but we knew that as we stay here whenever we come to KC if they have room. Dennys next door was crowded after the game, but we had excellent service and the food was great. Price might be a bit much, but who wouldn't like to see lower prices these days. The walk to the stadium as has been mentioned is down a couple of hills, but you can take the easy slope or use the road, I was recovering from ACL surgery and had no problem going up or down.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ProwlerOK
Iowa
Reviewed 28 July 2009

This was ideal if you are planning on going to a Royals game. The parking was secured and it took about ten minutes to walk to the game. The hotel was full with guests attending the game but we did not encounter a problem with noise the night we were there. I would definitely stay again if planning another trip to a game.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank iowa_state_fan1
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 4 July 2009

We were going to a Royals game and chose this hotel for its location and its secure, gated parking. The rooms are in need of updating -- worn carpet, dark, floral fabrics, exposed brick on one wall. Nice bathrooms and big flatscreen TV, though. We left before breakfast. The rates were better than at the Sheraton but the Sheraton is also within walking distance of the stadium. No restaurant in the Drury. There is a Denny's in the parking lot. We walked over to the Sheraton in search of a late lunch before the game. The Sheraton's lobby is much nicer and seems more upscale, but the only dining there mid afternoon was at the bar. Approaching the stadium on foot is a bit of a challenge. The most direct route involves scrambling down a rather steep, grassy hill! Unlike another reviewer, we didn't experience any rowdiness after the game. I'd recommend solely on the basis of proximitity to Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple