“Won't be back”

Courtyard Kansas City South
Ranked #49 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We had originally reserved a room with two queen beds. However, with my husbands status at Marriott we were upgraded to a suite. Sounds nice but the room didn't live up to expectations! It was dustier than some barns I've been in, seriously! It was bad enough that my five year old woke up before the rest of us and felt compelled to clean, and it was a huge improvement!!! It looked like the room hadn't been used in several months and someone just ran though and kind of dusted SOME of the flat surfaces. All of us woke up several times in the night coughing from the dust.

The bistro was SLOW and both the service and food were awful! My two year old spilled some juice and we don't have any silverware or napkins so I went up to ask for some napkins, she was busy and I couldn't get her attention so I went to take some silverware wrapped in napkins that were laying on the bar. She actually told me to put them back!! I explained why I needed them and she said she would bring out some napkins and a towel. Well, she took her time wandering out to help us while I sat at a table with three kids and juice everywhere! I was horrified that she would tell me not to take the napkins accessible and then not even bother to try and hurry out knowing there was a mess and small children! Once the food finally came it was awful and insanely expensive especially given the quality of what was served.

I can at least say that the room was very quiet and there wasn't all the normal banging and such that usually wakes me up in a hotel. However if our stay was typical, it's no wonder the hotel was quiet!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank myrnazarya

Reviewed 26 July 2011

My only complaint is that the hotel assigned an already-occupied room. Relocation to another room was quick and easy and met with sincere apology. I rated "Sleep Quality" a 4 out of 5 because the bed was too firm for my liking.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JMS1122
Reviewed 17 January 2011

The lobby and bistro area had been remodeled recently. Looked fine. But the kitchen service is slower than molasses. On both mornings I went down there, there were hardly any customers, yet it took forever to get the food out. 20 minutes for oatmeal? Really? No vending machines -- you have to buy drinks and snacks in the lobby. There's no WiFi in the rooms, and my iPod Touch doesn't have an Ethernet port, so no Internet in the room. Speaking of the room, the first one I got had evidence of bed bugs on the mattress. After calling the front desk, I was immediately moved to another room. Not sure if it was a current infestation or if the problem had been treated already, but leaving the mattress like that is just gross. And why not be proactive and regularly inspect the mattresses for bed bugs -- and discard the nasty mattresses?

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Spent a night here in September 2010 with my fiancee the night before attending a football game at Arrowhead. Got a pretty reasonable deal on Travelocity. Pretty standard Courtyard - the chain is in the process of doing renovations at all its properties...this was an older Courtyard and had not been renovated but the folks at the front desk indicated that they were starting renovations in October, so by the holidays they may be done. That would give the hotel a much needed revitalization. This is a suburban style hotel -- not a high-rise but rather three floors and more spread out.

The first room we got smelled really musty and like it had been a smoking room at one point (currently the entire hotel is non-smoking). They relocated us to another room which was fine.

Entire hotel was very cold -- hallways were probably 60 degrees, and the rooms were cold upon entry but warmed up once you turned the heat on. Again, standard Courtyard style - nicely decorated, but currently with older CRT style TV's (should change with the renovation). Beds were comfy as they always are at Courtyard and bathrooms were very clean.

I'd stay here again, and I'd anticipate it will look nice once they complete the renovations it will look real nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fjnovak1
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Took family here, got two rooms. The price was really good, and included breakfast for all of the family.

The breakfast is made to order, or buffet. Service at breakfast was very nice, and the gal running it was very pleasant.

Rooms were clean, beds comfortable.

The rooms were not super deluxe by any means, but they were nice and clean, and worth every penny!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ClickTheGeek
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I stayed here for two nights. The front desk clerk was very friendly. The room was nice... The bed seemed a bit firm, and the whole hotel seemed a bit dated. For the price, I would recommend it! It has an indoor swimming pool and hot tub. The morning breakfast is $10 for a buffet. We didn't eat it though.
The balconies are a joke. The width of it is comparable to a single/twin bed width... Enough room to just stand.
The pool was average, and the hot tub was nice!
For the price we paid, I would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MJ1986
Reviewed 8 March 2010

The positive things about this hotel were the cleanliness and the pleasant staff. I also thought the bed was extremely comfortable. The negative was that the hotel felt a bit dated and the room was set up very awkwardly. My TV was on the side of the bed and I could not turn it so it was hard to watch TV at a decent angle. The coffee table was extremely beat up and needed replacing. Also, the toilet was in a large bathroom yet placed right behind the door on the far side of the shower. Our final night there, I went to use the computer. There was a large group of rowdy adults in the lobby. They had food and alcohol all over the lobby, were playing drinking games and being very loud and offensive in their conversation. I could not concentrate on checking my flight information yet no one from the hotel addressed this issue. Apparently, they were there the night before as well. I would come back here, but now at least I'd know what to expect.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City - Grandview
816 Hotel
816 Hotel
#27 of 109 in Kansas City

Been to Courtyard Kansas City South? Share your experiences!