“Decent one-nighter”

Ranked #49 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Decent one-nighter”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

This brand is designed for business travelers not youth church groups, football squads or Mom's weekend getaways from the kitchen. Our stay was a one-nighter on points and was above average as the location was in a very quiet, semi-residential cul-de-sac, the staff was competent and friendly and our top floor room was very comfortable. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We have been guests at this Courtyard for at least 20 times over the last 5 years. I can't recall ever leaving with complaint. This hotels feels brand new withrecent rooms and lobby renovations.

• Stayed August 2011
Reviewed 11 August 2011

On our last trip to KC our van was broken into when there was nothing left in sight to steal. Out of state tags. No security. Manager pointed to the sign that states "HOTEL NOT RESPONSIBLE" and shrugged it off,
Do yourself a favor ...even if the room is more- stay somewhere else

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We had originally reserved a room with two queen beds. However, with my husbands status at Marriott we were upgraded to a suite. Sounds nice but the room didn't live up to expectations! It was dustier than some barns I've been in, seriously! It was bad enough that my five year old woke up before the rest of us and felt compelled to clean, and it was a huge improvement!!! It looked like the room hadn't been used in several months and someone just ran though and kind of dusted SOME of the flat surfaces. All of us woke up several times in the night coughing from the dust.

The bistro was SLOW and both the service and food were awful! My two year old spilled some juice and we don't have any silverware or napkins so I went up to ask for some napkins, she was busy and I couldn't get her attention so I went to take some silverware wrapped in napkins that were laying on the bar. She actually told me to put them back!! I explained why I needed them and she said she would bring out some napkins and a towel. Well, she took her time wandering out to help us while I sat at a table with three kids and juice everywhere! I was horrified that she would tell me not to take the napkins accessible and then not even bother to try and hurry out knowing there was a mess and small children! Once the food finally came it was awful and insanely expensive especially given the quality of what was served.

I can at least say that the room was very quiet and there wasn't all the normal banging and such that usually wakes me up in a hotel. However if our stay was typical, it's no wonder the hotel was quiet!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank myrnazarya
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My only complaint is that the hotel assigned an already-occupied room. Relocation to another room was quick and easy and met with sincere apology. I rated "Sleep Quality" a 4 out of 5 because the bed was too firm for my liking.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JMS1122
Virginia
Reviewed 17 January 2011

The lobby and bistro area had been remodeled recently. Looked fine. But the kitchen service is slower than molasses. On both mornings I went down there, there were hardly any customers, yet it took forever to get the food out. 20 minutes for oatmeal? Really? No vending machines -- you have to buy drinks and snacks in the lobby. There's no WiFi in the rooms, and my iPod Touch doesn't have an Ethernet port, so no Internet in the room. Speaking of the room, the first one I got had evidence of bed bugs on the mattress. After calling the front desk, I was immediately moved to another room. Not sure if it was a current infestation or if the problem had been treated already, but leaving the mattress like that is just gross. And why not be proactive and regularly inspect the mattresses for bed bugs -- and discard the nasty mattresses?

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
White Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Spent a night here in September 2010 with my fiancee the night before attending a football game at Arrowhead. Got a pretty reasonable deal on Travelocity. Pretty standard Courtyard - the chain is in the process of doing renovations at all its properties...this was an older Courtyard and had not been renovated but the folks at the front desk indicated that they were starting renovations in October, so by the holidays they may be done. That would give the hotel a much needed revitalization. This is a suburban style hotel -- not a high-rise but rather three floors and more spread out.

The first room we got smelled really musty and like it had been a smoking room at one point (currently the entire hotel is non-smoking). They relocated us to another room which was fine.

Entire hotel was very cold -- hallways were probably 60 degrees, and the rooms were cold upon entry but warmed up once you turned the heat on. Again, standard Courtyard style - nicely decorated, but currently with older CRT style TV's (should change with the renovation). Beds were comfy as they always are at Courtyard and bathrooms were very clean.

I'd stay here again, and I'd anticipate it will look nice once they complete the renovations it will look real nice.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City Sports Complex
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kansas City - Grandview

Been to Courtyard Kansas City South? Share your experiences!