“Nice Hotel”

Courtyard Kansas City South
Ranked #48 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 19 March 2014

You can tell when you enter this hotel that it has had a nice makeover in recent years. The lobby and Bistro is all crisp and clean looking. The rooms have the new decor and furniture.

The only clue this is an older property is the elevators are showing their age, although they work just fine.

I guess the other clue is that even though I was upgraded to a suite, the bathroom is tiny, just a tub and toilet and a door opening within an inch of the toilet. I'd guess that this was once two room, but was converted to a suite at some point, and the original bathroom was decorated, but not resized as it should have been for a suite.

So as long as you don't mind the tiny bathrooms and the fact that not all the standard rooms have a refrigerator (a pet peeve of mine in hotels), then this is certainly a nice property. Convenient access to the freeway and pleasant and professional staff.

I visited a very disappointing Courtyard just five miles from here and compared to that, this is like a breath of fresh air.

Room Tip: You have to ask if you want a refrigerator in your room. Many of the rooms are overlooked by anothe...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and hope that on your next trip to the Kansas City / Overland Park area you stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Kansas City South

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a nicely renovated hotel with tasteful decor. Good value for money and very helpful staff.
What sets this property apart is the way they handle breafast. They have a Cafe "Starbucks-style" ( but not actually a Starbucks) in the hotel, with really good food at decent prices. Eggs were freshly cooked to order, instead of the mass produced cardboard scrambles in "inclusive" places. So you pay a little for it, but the room rates are really competitive so the whole package is good value.
I would stay there again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay in our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and your breakfast in our Bistro.

We look forward to you staying with us again on your next trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I just got back from a weekend in KC and this hotel will be my choice when going to KC from now on. The staff was very helpful and professional. The rooms are very nicely updated and roomy. You can tell it was an older, updated hotel. I was not really hung up on that fact though. The only evidence that this was renovated, is the elevator was pretty old. But overall, the lobby, pool, rooms, and staff were great and well worth the money. The location isn't too bad either. It took maybe 10 minutes to get to downtown KC. The pool was well kept and I was able to enjoy a nice swim and relax in the hot tub. The beds were really comfy as well. I hope that the next time I visit KC, that this hotel keep their current standards. If so, I will be a repeat customer based on what I have experienced this weekend

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our hotel. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay in our hotel, and very excited that we are your new hotel of choice when in Kansas City. We look forward to your future visits to our hotel.

SIncerly,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Hotel nicely updated, fairly close to the highway but still a quiet location. Rooms and bathrooms were a good size. Service was very good, especially when we had breakfast. Staff were very helpful and attentive and food was good. It is about a 15 minute drive to get to the Plaza area of Kansas City.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had booked 2 rooms for 3 nights at this location. On our second night, we were bitten by BED BUGS in one of our rooms! We even caught some bugs from the pillows to show the management. The management did not want to accept responsibility for the BED BUGS. They explained that Ecolab had treated the rooms recently, and tried to suggest that we brought the BED BUGS with us!!! We asked to be moved to a different room. They moved us to the new room and promised to call and update us on the Ecolab treatments, but we haven't heard from them. Management should have been understanding and empathetic with our situation. We always stay at Courtyards, and this was by far not up to par with other Courtyard hotels. The hallways and rooms have a musty smell, the bed bug situation indicates that the rooms are not regularly cleaned. If you are ever in the Kansas City area find a different Courtyard to stay at.

1  Thank Mark A
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel and the issue with bugs in your room. As you know we did contact Ecolab who came out and did a complete and thorough inspection of the room and found no indication of bed bugs in the room . I can certainly understand how upsetting it can be to find bugs in your room but can assure you that our hotel and Ecolab Pest Control takes issues such as these seriously and can assure you that your room did not have bed bugs. If needed I can provide you with a copy of the report from Ecolab for the inspection.
Please contact me directly at the hotel should you have furhter questions or concerns regarding this issue.

Sincerly,

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have stayed at this property five times and have always had good stays. This past time was not up to the standards of the previous four. These are the things I liked
1. great staff very friendly service
2. nice exercise room and nice small pool and whirlpool
3. great quiet location and close to the highway
4. very modern nice lobby to sit and visit
5. they have the softest water I think I have ever experienced at a hotel - felt great
6. nice beds
The things they need to work on.
1. We were in our room with the do not disturb sign until noon and then took it off when we left
for the day and never did get any housekeeping service for the day.
2. We were having problems with the heater working and called the front desk and they said someone would send someone up to look at it which they never did. We later had a night housekeeper look at it when we got back and he had to reset it. He said you should never touch the actual heater but only the wall thermometer or it will disengage the heater. If that is the case there should be a sign on the heater to that effect. After he reset the heater it still didn't work but at least he tried. Too confusing.
3. I am not a big fan of how they have a la carte cafe service. The food is good but if there are lot of people waiting it is slow. I like the people working there but much prefer a buffet like the residence inn. Taste of food is good but just too slow. Also, if you have a rate that includes breakfast it covers certain things and not other things on the menu.
Overall I like this hotel but my stay wasn't up to the other four I have had here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kelly K, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City South, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay in our hotel. I understand your frustration with the heater in your room not working correctly and you room not being serviced after you removed the Do Not Distrub sign. I can assure you that I have addressed these items with my staff to ensure we are taking all measures to make sure this does not happen again. It is only with comments such as yours that we can only improve our hotel. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This place is out of the way in south Kansas City, Missouri. It is an older Marriott Courtyard, but has recently been remodeled. It is clean and quite. It is a very good value for the price. Recommend rooms away from elevators and outside doors.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and we look forward to seing you on your next trip to Kansas City.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Best Host Inn Plaza Kansas City South
Ramada Kansas City
Ramada Kansas City
#75 of 109 in Kansas City

Been to Courtyard Kansas City South? Share your experiences!