“Beware of what people are writing....”

Massinga Beach Lodge
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I went on a father daughter vacation while mom was hard at work. We were very dissappointed in the overall experience and the week. We were at the lodge at the same time as nixLDB and would have to agree with the honeymooners review. The run each morning on the beach was the best part of the trip for me and my daughter was completely bored the entire week. The beach/bar pool was very dirty with green fungus covering most of the bottom however, the dog completely enjoyed his swim all day long. There were no activities at all. I am not sure where the 5-star comments on the food are coming from, but if you arrived 30 minutes after food service started (a no set time each day) you would not get all that was served and after 3 nights of serving calamari, I have had my fill and it was below par. The best day was when french fries (chips) were served for lunch as the meal. I asked to talk to the chef and he appeared in his chef jacket at my table - I asked him if he created the menu for the day and what inspired him to only serve chips - he mumbled something and walked away. If I had wanted chips, I would not have spent thousands of dollars and went to McDonalds. I attempted to salvage something for my daughter so, I reserved an hour body massage a day in advance - the massage person never showed and after waing for an hour, we gave up. Upon departure, we were loaded into a strange looking bus with no air conditioning and were we in for a ride. This had to be the roughest ride for about an hour I had ever taken in my life and I rode wild bulls in professional rodeos in the United States. I am so happy my wife missed this trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Tim P
SBMarketing, Marketing at Massinga Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Thank you for your detailed review - as with the prior review; we regret your disappointment and assure you that the situation has been taken very seriously and will be attended to.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

We went for our honeymoon, well I must say, what a surprise! For a five star lodge, you would expect 24 hour electricity and TV in the rooms, well there is only power from 6am to 10am and again from 6pm to 10pm. We were promised add on's with our package, like beach picnick, massages, dinner for two, well that was never given to us. they provide, fishing rods, WHEN they can actually mannage to find the rods, so we couldn't even do that. Also we never got a bottle of water next to our beds at night, and with there being no aircon during the night,you would think.... Btw, I never heard of a 5 star lodge, serving JUST a plate of chips for lunch,well I have had enough chips for the time being.I hope they will look into certain things,like we mentioned to them when we left. Oh and beware of the flies, they tend to fall into your arrival coconut drink.but apart from the brochure not being completely honest, I must say massinga is a beautiful place to see and we met some strange and wonderful people, and we have memories which we will treasure forever

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank nixLDB

We seek to offer each and every guest the best possible holiday so we sincerely regret and apologise for your disappointment. Every detail of your review is under investigation and will be rectified to avoid any recurrence. The owners of the Lodge will respond direct.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

whether or not this place is for you depends on what you are looking for- if you are looking for a party destination, this is definately not the place. However, if you are looking for a place to relax and hide from the world, than Massinga beach is ideal. there is internet only sporatically, and my UK mobile phone rarely had any reception. The cabins are excellent, mine had a beautiful view of the beach below. the beds are amazing, making it easy to sleep for 10 hours without moving. the bathrooms are spacious and the entire interior space is well thought through and designed. everything is immaculately clean and well maintained.
The food in the restaurant was fresh and of good quality, and the staff did a great job of catering to me as a vegetarian
there isnt a whole lot in the way of organised activities, but the beach is stunning and we had good fun at the little beach-side recreation centre playing pool and darts. the lodge also organised a day-long excursion to Massinga town, which was fascinating.
the best part of the lodge though are the 2 amazing canine hosts who managed to never tire of playing tail-wagging hosts to endless international visitors.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
SBMarketing, Marketing at Massinga Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

Great to hear that Massinga Beach took care of your 'vegetarian' needs and yes, it is definitely a place to relax, far from the madding crowd, though the hairy hosts to provide their own special variety of hospitality .... with best wishes from us All.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

Michelle and I spent 5 nights in Massinga beach and what an amazing 5 nights we had! Everything was top class. We loved the pristine beach which stretched for miles, there were a lot of activities as well. There were kites, a kyak, snorkel gear and boogie boards down at the beach bar for guests to use. We made use of a lot of the gear, the waves are really strong and we had a lot of fun swimming in the ocean and strolling down the beach.

The lodge is massive with a sun deck and a private splash pool. I definitely loved the open rain shower! The staff were amazing and super friendly. The area is beautiful and the views are stunning! I only wish we stayed for longer as the other places we stayed at paled in comparison to Massinga Beach!

We will definitely see you guys again!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
SBMarketing, Marketing at Massinga Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to highlight the activities, great swimming and amazing coastline at Massinga Beach - not your typical Mozambique lodge but quite unique.

Our best wished to you both from all at the Lodge.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

My wife & I stayed at Massinga 4 nights in November after a long drive from Cape Town as part of our trip to explore Mozambique. Having done some 'one nighters' on the way up we decided to splash out on a bit of R & R at Massinga.
We were welcomed by Paul & Mel who made our stay exceptional - nothing was too much trouble. Our thanks to both of you.
The accommodation is superb, a large bedroom & bathroom look out through glass walls/patio doors onto a deck equipped with sun loungers, dining set & a private plunge pool - all overlooking the beach & Indian Ocean.
The food was excellent as were the staff who were always polite & eager to please.
Massinga was the best beach we visited in Moz - miles of unspoilt sand, dunes & a warm sea with only a few local fishermen to be seen.
Not the cheapest but by far the best we stayed in & what a place for honeymooners!
Highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donCapeTown
SBMarketing, Marketing at Massinga Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2012

We are so pleased you took some time out with us and that you appreciated our incredibly beautiful beach and enjoyed the food. Good to hear that you are back safely.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We ad our Honeymoon at the lodge 8-15 October. I dont think we could have chosen a better place. It was truly amazing and realxing. We enjoyed the food although when we were there they served alot of steak and we got bored of it but still it was very tasty. The rooms are pure luxury! And darling Bonji entertained us all week long,we really enjoyed his company. The only problem was when we were there the whale watching and fishing trips were not running as the guy had broken a leg or something. Snorkling wasnt too much fun as it was to deep in and the waves pulled us in even deeper. I would recommend some more activities especially when the power is off. But apart from that we LOVED everything. We will be seeing you again next year :)))

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your compliments and really regret that you were unable to enjoy the activities that are normally offered - please remind us of this when you come back next year and we will do our best to make it up to you. Best Wishes for the holidays!

Reviewed 13 November 2012

My fiance and I just spent a wonderful 5 days at Massinga Beach Lodge. Everything is as amazing as we expected based on other reviews and pictures. Mel and Paul go out their way to make you feel at home and of course Bongi and Wolf (the dogs) are adorable.
The view is to die for, unrestricted views of kilometers of untouched beach, the excellently prepared gourmet meals and luxurious accommodation all make it a dream holiday.
The only downside for us personally was that the last 2-3 days it rained. I was told that it was the first rain of the year so they definitely needed it more than we needed a bit more sun.

Room Tip: Try to pick one of the Ocean Front Deluxe rooms as they have an unrestricted view. Also try to get r...