“Not the best hotel to stay at”
Review of Super 8 Kirksville

Super 8 Kirksville
Super 8 Kirksville
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Kirksville
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We only stayed at this hotel because out daughter was graduating from college, and this was the only hotel left that had a vacancy. Our room was on the lower floor, and immediately upon setting foot on that floor, all you could smell was cigarette smoke. It was AWFUL. And it continued that way the entire two nights we were there. We had to get a smoking room, because that's all that was available, and the room smelled just as bad as the hallway. We had to go to Wal-Mart and get some Febreeze the night we checked in, just to attempt to make the room habitable. I don't think the hotel has changed any of the room's (or hotels) furnishings or painted for a very long time, because no room should smell that bad! The second night we were there, the smell was even worse in the hallway. You nearly had to hold your breath while walking through it. They had non-smoking rooms right next to smoking rooms, which makes no sense to me--why they didn't have them in "blocks" is something I don't understand. Maybe then the smell wouldn't have been so bad.

The second night it rained and we lost our wireless Internet access. When I talked to the front desk person about it, he said he thought it was because of the weather, because they had satellite Internet service. However, the next morning, the rain had stopped and the service still wasn't working. There was obviously something in the router or modem that needed to be reset, and they didn't know how to do it.

The breakfast was very bland and just the bare minimum was provided. The one good thing I can say about the hotel was that the front desk people were very nice, when you could find them. One time I tried to call them about something, and the front desk phone was continually busy. I finally walked up there and stood for about 10 minutes, and no one ever showed up. There was a note at the desk to if there was no one there to call them on the house phone, but when I did that, the number was busy again.

The hotel itself also needs to be updated, especially for the price they charge you. The caulking around the tub and sink was warn and dirty, the towels were extremely thin and scratchy, and the carpet somewhat worn. We definitely won't stay here again unless there's no other choice. They also have a "safe" charge of $1.50 per night, and unless you tell them to take it off when you check out, it stays on your bill, which seems unfair to me.

This was the second time we've stayed at this hotel, and the second experience wasn't any better than the first, so I thought it was time to write a review.

Not recommended. I've stayed at other Super 8's much better than this one.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Kirksville

Reviewed 21 April 2008

I stayed one night while visiting the university. The motel is in a good location close to the campus. My room had a comfortable king size bed and recliner. The room was very clean and the towels in the bathroom appeared to be new. There was a coffee pot in the room with coffee and tea. In the morning there were a few breakfast items like toast, bagels and cereal as well as coffee and orange juice in an area near the lobby.
The hallway outside the room smelled like cigarette smoke, but I had requested a non-smoking room and inside my room there was no smoke smell.
The room was very comfortable and I will stay there again when I go to Kirksville.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 15 October 2006

We are non-smokers but the only available room was smoking. The staff ozoned the room for us while we were out. Upon return a lot of the odor was gone. We had a king bed, it was a little too firm for us but we made do. It was clean, the staff was friendly, the breakfast adequate. For $51.00 a night, senior rate, no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 29 September 2006

I wish to give a comment about this hotel. My daughter and I were staying at this hotel in order to visit the local university in the morning. Her appointment at the university was at 8:30am Saturday the 23rd. The next morning we awoke at 7:00am to get ready for our day. While my daughter was using the blow dryer the electricity went out in the room. At this time you could see nothing in the room, completely dark. We both had wet hair, no clothes on, no makeup. I immediately called down to the front desk and told them what had happened. The response I got was from a male "I have no solution for that problem". I told him and her (there was a woman there as well) that certainly a circuit breaker had blown and all they needed to do was push it back. They told me they didn't know where they were. I asked if they could please hurry and find out because we couldn't get dressed in the dark, our hair was wet and we had an appt we had to get to.

Ten minutes went by and I heard nothing. I called back down and they told me that they couldn't reach the general manager and didn't know what to do. I just couldn't believe that these two clerks were not trained to know where the circuit breakers were! They said they were trying to get a hold of the maintenance supervisor. I asked if we could please be let in another room to dry our hair and dress. They said that no, all rooms were full. Now I had seen numerous carloads of people leaving in the parking lot so I know people had checked out, I told them we didn't care if the room had not yet been cleaned, we just needed to be able to dry our hair, they said no. There was no feeling of sympathy or any apology, no sense of urgency from either person.

A few minutes later I started down the hallway to the front lobby, at this point I was angry and wanted to speak to them in person. I met a young man coming towards me in the hall. He said he had spoken to the maintenance man who told him where the circuit breaker was and he was going to hit it. As it was the breaker was right outside our room! A little search clearly would have indicated where it was. He hit the breaker and the electricity went back on.

By this time a half an hour had elapsed, it was 8:30 and we were late for our appt. We quickly dried our hair, threw on some makeup and my daughter started loading the car while I went down to check out. I had to check out because there was a $1.00 safe charge that was put on our bill which we needed removed. When I got downstairs there wasn't anyone at the desk. A woman was over in the dining area but she wouldn't look over to the desk. I waited about a minute before I finally asked her to come over and check me out. She took her time finishing what she was doing and then strolled over. I told her that we were late and could she please hurry. At that point she stopped what she was doing, looked at me and said "I don't need any attitude from you". I told her that we were very late for an appt and I really needed her to hurry. She just stopped what she was doing and refused to help me until I changed my attitude. No apology for the hassle, no desire to help me out, etc.

She began to check me out but then stopped and said she didn't have some code she needed and couldn't take the $1.00 charge off. At that point I just said forget it and left! As I left the lobby she was saying some abrasive things to me, quite nasty. I believe her name was Connie.

This hotel is obviously not service oriented, hires staff without training and also hires staff that is uneducated and crude. It also does not have the electrical standards necessary for a safe hotel stay. I would never recommend it to anyone.

Thank you.

Stayed: September 2006
11  Thank Anne444444
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirksville
Days Inn Kirksville
#2 of 8 in Kirksville
Depot Inn & Suites
Depot Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in La Plata

Been to Super 8 Kirksville? Share your experiences!