“Clean, comfortable beds, but under renovation”

Hampton Inn St. Louis/Sunset Hills
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kirkwood
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Clean, comfortable beds, but under renovation”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is under renovation and it was hard to figure out which entrance to use at first. The checkin area and workout rooms are in guest rooms for now. This was somewhat frustrating but the staff was very nice. The rooms were very nice and the beds comfortable. A bit high though- my grandmother had a hard time getting in and out of her bed. The breakfast was in the basement. There were a lot of items but the woman doing the breakfast had a little bit of an attitude when we asked her to refill some of the items. I would stay there again but not during the remodel. It's close to the highway and lots of restaurants and shops so location is convenient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank C T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Winchester, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Very nice rooms and very clean... I did not like the third floor at 75 years old but I managed just fine... The employees were very good and very helpful... I think the Tax rate of 18% in Saint Louis is ridiculous very high... I liked the Hampton Inn and it's location and would stay here again... Thank you, John Miano

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Eads, United States
Reviewed 17 May 2014

If I had known about the remodel, I would have stayed someplace else. It was like checking into a dive motel. The check in was set up in a guest room. They used banquette furniture in the room. The work out room was in the guest room next door to the check in. The coffee bar was not stocked. The regular coffee was out (ALL NIGHT)! 5pm-11pm. When I asked the clerk to get me something, I felt I was putting him out. The breakfast food was what I expected. The breakfast was set up in a meeting room in the basement. I suggested that they put a TV in there since there is always TV's with the news on during breakfast. The room was set up with banquet tables and chairs. When I talked to the manager, I suggested that he put the furniture that they use for the breakfast area in there. The banquet chairs were very uncomfortable. The area seemed cold and uncomfortable. I couldn't eat fast enough and leave. When I was packing up to leave, I went to get the plastic bag on the hanger for my laundry. I noticed that there wasn't an iron in the closet. I didn't need one, someone might at some point. When I made my reservation, There was a recording that said it was the newest property in the area. That may be true, but is was an OLD property! The room was not as nice and well kept as other Hampton Inn's I've stayed in. My standards are very high. The room was the norm, finger prints on doors and walls. Tile and tub close to the floor, dirty. That is normal. I don't understand why the maids aren't trained to wipe down doors and walls. At some point rooms need a good scrub down. I have checked out of hotels after seeing the rooms I was given. If it wasn't so late, I would have left this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Kansas City, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for a few days with my family. Was very pleased with the room although our pullout bed was broken and we had already unpacked with a busy night ahead of us and didn't switch rooms. I'm sure they would have been accommodating if I asked. The breakfast was great and the staff friendly. Will be staying here again when we come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Arlington, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Hotel is under construction . We recommend avoidance until repairs are completed. 3 months ?? Hotel Manager did not provide good service. Otherwise it is a normal Hampton Inn. The room was clean and so were the linens. Breakfast in a basement room was not impressive. Again, this is all do to renovations. Recommend avoiding this hotel until they are done.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Overall - satisfied to very satisfied. A good value, and helpful, responsive staff. Here are the glitches: 1. Internet connection good for laptop and tablet but could never connect to Iphone. 2. Treadmill in fitness room was loud and clunky - needs maintenance or replacement. 3. Hot water in lobby is hot only during breakfast. There is no cocoa available (and none during my stay one year ago). 4. Limited choice of TV channels (no AMC, for example). 5. Toilet stopped up. Maintenance person fixed it but in so doing, turned the toilet shutoff valve, which created a small but continual leak (detected later) yielding a wet floor (until I placed waste basket under the leak). An understandable mistake, but perhaps person should have checked for leak after turning the valve.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

IL, United States
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We ( a dad and two kids) went to St. Louis for 2 days of Arch / City Museum / Zoo / etc. and drove to Meramec caverns. This hotel is located just right but was less expensive than the ones downtown. It was very clean with friendly, attentive staff, a nice, clean, basic pool, hot tub, and workout room, and the breakfast was excellent. Without question I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwood
Best Western Kirkwood Inn
Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66
Days Inn ST. Louis Lindbergh Boulevard
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton
TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton

Been to Hampton Inn St. Louis/Sunset Hills? Share your experiences!