“Terrible Reservation Policy!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kirkwood
Joplin, Missouri
“Terrible Reservation Policy!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Over the last 10 years I have spent hundreds of nights in hotels, this hotel has the worst reservation policy I have ever heard of. We reserved our room at the Best Western Kirkwood Inn and received a confirmation with a check in time beginning at 3:00 PM. My wife, one year old child, and I arrived at the hotel at 9:30 PM and were told we would have to wait one and a half hours before our room was ready. A one and a half hour wait is the last thing you want to hear after several hours of driving and traveling with a sleepy baby.

We were told by the front desk attendant and the manager that the issue was due to the hotel having a contract with a large rail road company to house their workers. The railroad workers check in throughout the day and check out when they choose. On the night of our stay several railroad workers were late checking out. While this policy must be great for employees of the railroad it is terrible for your average traveler. Several other travelers were informed of the same delay due to the same reason while we were waiting in the lobby.

On the plus side the room was nice for the rate we paid. The room was clean and we were glad to see the remote in the room was sanitized (not that we had time to watch TV by the time we finally were able to get into the room). The front desk staff was polite about the policy and the delay. We only ended up waiting just over an hour for our room to be ready rather than the full hour and a half.

In summary I would never consider staying at this hotel again unless I was an employee of a large railroad company.

Room Tip: Only stay at this hotel if you work for a railroad company or if you enjoy lengthy delays before bei...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WesLewis
Cynthia B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Kirkwood Inn, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am very sorry that you experienced a delay in your check in due to late check out of an existing group. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay with you personally and ask that you reach out to me either by telephone at (314) 821-3950, or email cindy@pmihotels.com. I hope to hear from you in the near future.
With the sincere apologies from both myself and our entire team...
Cynthia Brasseur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Kevil, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Food was good. Staff was friendly. Room was nice. Everything worked. Good location. There was only 1 BIG problem. Upon our Friday night, 9pm arrival, we were informed we couldn't Check-in for another hour. Others in our party arrived 30 minutes after us, they had to wait another hour. Apparently they have a group with check out whenever they want privileges. I expect to wait if I arrive @ 2pm, but not at 10pm. I gave the hotel a good review in spite because the staff have nothing to do with terrible decisions made by upper management. I just want to warn others, if you plan on arriving late & tired, go somewhere else because this hotel thinks you want to wait in the lobby with them. If you don't mind waiting, this is a great place.

• Stayed April 2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I stay here for work on a weekly basis and I love it. Great staff and good location to anything you might need. Only issue is HBO is sometimes down, but that's no biggie. If you can stay off or above the floors with the railroaders that also stay there that is for the best. Sometimes they can be a tad loud

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

A short drive to downtown St. Louis if you prefer not to be in the city. Kirkwood is an affluent suburb. The hotel is not far from a great French restaurant less than a mile away. But if you prefer Chili's or Texas Roadhouse, then it's just a few steps away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kirkwood, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

For both days I stayed, the internet was down. This set me back two days worth of work. When I was going to bed, I rolled down the covers and saw hair (not my own) under the covers. Not a great stay, really.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Excellent location close to St. Louis but without the traffic hassles. Easy access from Interstate. Clean rooms with super comfortable beds. Room had a big screen TV, fridge and great wifi. Well lit parking lot near shopping and restaurants. On-site restaurant and elevators to service all floors. Hot breakfast with several offerings and located in a separate, sit-down area. Hotel staff were friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor and above are quieter..
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the Missouri Valley Conf Basketball tournament with a friend of mine and was impressed from the moment we got here. Several resturants and stores within walking distance. Both Front desk personal that we're on duty during our stay we very helpful with every question that I needed(Andrea and Gaby). Will most likely stay here again on future visits. Really only complaint that I had biscuits were dry but breakfast in general was good. Also very happy that there was a resturant attached to the Hotel but not belonging to Best Western, got 10% off our meal. Overall this was a very enjoyable stay and look forward to coming again

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkwood
Hampton Inn St. Louis/Sunset Hills
Days Inn ST. Louis Lindbergh Boulevard
Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66
BEST WESTERN St. Louis Inn
BEST WESTERN St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights

Been to BEST WESTERN Kirkwood Inn? Share your experiences!