“Service was the Worst”

The Duck
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great fine dining on the waterfront...The only fine dining restaurant on the water at the Lake of the Ozarks. Come by car or boat. See our website for our current menus.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Several years ago we had a package deal at the Lake. My brother and his wife heard great reviews of The Duck. I had just had open heart surgery and it was a struggle to go from the parking area to the restaurant. I had order beef and it was with bake potato or some other starch and asparagus. I asked the waitress if could trade the potato for a another serving of asparagus. She rudely told me that it couldn't be done (I am a diabetic as well as a heart patient). If my brother was not with us I would have gotten up and left. Now, here is the ending...serving size was two pieces. That was in 2009 or 2010 can't remember...but we have been to the Lake numerous times and told numerous people this story...don't go.

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

It sounds like we had several misunderstandings, and when you come back we’ll try to do better. I’m not sure if your visit was in 2009, 2010, or 2013, but you must have had our Tournedos of Beef, which is 2 4-ounce portions of filet prepared in various ways depending up when you visited. While I believe most of our guests are familiar with the term “tournedos”, it would be clearer in our description if we simply stated that your portion will be 2 4-ounce filets. [It is a terrific dish, and the Certified Angus Beef brand we serve is wonderful.] Also, all of our entrees are served with a choice of either a starch or vegetable but not both. But we always allow guests to order an extra side for a modest charge, so that you could have ordered asparagus as your side and ordered an extra side of asparagus. I’m sure our server didn’t mean to be rude, but should have done a better listening job. We do have a number of stairs down to the restaurant from the parking lot, and when you come next time you can get a bit closer by coming down the drive to the left of the parking lot to the back of the building. It isn’t perfect, but will save you some steps. Let the hostess know when you make your reservation, and I’ll personally meet you in back to turn your car around and escort you to the front door.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Food was excellent but service was poor and tables outside dark and could not see eating. Not sure it's worth the $.

I’m sorry we left you in the dark. We keep the lights low during the summer because we’re right on the waterfront and while we spray for insects, they are still plentiful and we don’t want them in your hair…or in your food. You didn’t specify what the “poor service” was, but I’d guess that you were here on the first Saturday in August, which is the peak of our season when we are quite busy. Not an excuse, of course, but perhaps a reason. Feel free to contact me through our web site and elaborate on our service – we always want to improve. Now that the heat of summer is fading, come and see us again. We can have the lights on out on our lovely deck, and the summer crowds have faded and you’ll find life at The Duck much less harried than you may have encountered.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Lake of the Ozarks is lucky to be blessed with so many terrific locally owned restaurants. There are eateries there that, if they opened a facility in Kansas City, people would willingly wait hours to be seated. Baxters, Hooks and JJs at the Copperpot are just some of the A team. But the pride of the fleet, the flagship, has to be The Duck.

The Duck is fine dining, but as with nearly everyplace at the Lake, guests are welcome wearing anything reasonable. The wine list is massive and can be served by the glass, the bottle or the half-bottle. The appetizer list is quite large, too. Normally, I don't order escargot anymore. Most restaurants could just as well advertise and roll out six or seven little balls of phlegm caked in velveeta and not be any worse off. But, The Duck? A completely different story. I eat at The Duck once a year and it's worth the wait just for their escargot. Awesome.

My date and I both had the Steak Dianne and it did not disappoint. The sauce was light and heated to perfection. The steak was so tender you could have cut it with a stern look. I cannot imagine it being prepared better at any restaurant in North America.

I could stand to be corrected, but The Duck appears to not be set up well for persons with disabilities. Stairways from the lake and from the parking lot would be fairly daunting for someone in a walker. Impossible for a wheelchair. But The Duck does everything else so well, I have a feeling they have an answer for this, I just didn't see it.

You want the best meal you'll have all year? Wind your way through the woods to The Duck. You won't be disappointed!

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for putting us in such good company. We’ve just received our 11st consecutive award from Wine Spectator Magazine, the only restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks to be so honored. Our chefs work hard to get our food just right every time and the front of the house staff is experienced in taking care of guests. As you pointed out, because we are right down on the water and our terrain is hilly we do have some access issues. You also noted that maybe we have a plan for our stairs, and we do – see my response to the review from 7/14/14. It isn’t perfect, but we’ve found that we can accommodate most who visit. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Beware the stairs!!
... but so worth it!!
In-house Sangria, perfect calamari (with two thin slices of lemon fried in the same batter (wow that was good), and 4-cheese stuffed mushrooms.
Susan had wild greens with a celery-seed vinaigrette, a thick porkchop with a brown sugar and bacon glaze/topping, and raspberry bread pudding. All perfect.
I had the chicken corn chowder (even found silk from the fresh sweet corn ... Winning!) and bone-in ribeye perfect med-rare... 'nuff said ... and keylime pie with in-house whipped cream on the side ... the cream was every bit as good as the light and lovely keylime itself.
Couple of sips of lemoncello before mounting the assault back up "half" of the stairs, as the owner had thankfully moved our car to a secret back road parking spot. Susan says "Still worth it!" as she pops some extra Advil.
Michael led us through the experience brilliantly! Thanks all!

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

It was nice to meet you and we’re glad your experience lived up to our press! I also appreciate your good humor regarding our steps down to the restaurant….I frequently bring guest cars down our access drive – it still isn’t perfect, but we want to accommodate all who want to come. The hills of the Ozarks are lovely, but do pose some issues. Thanks too for mentioning Michael – he’s been a great addition to our staff this year. Glad you enjoyed our house made limoncello, a perfect end to a perfect evening!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I visited the Duck on 7/11/2009 and 7/11/2014. We enjoyed the first visit so much that we had to go for an encore. The atmosphere was great. The view of the lake and the staff was so nice. They even threw in dessert for free as an anniversary gift to us.

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Great seeing you again; how about this weather we’ve been having! We know it can’t last, but we’ll take it while we can. We’re honored that you spent your anniversary celebration with us.