“2 good meals, 1 not so good”
Review of The Duck - CLOSED

The Duck
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great fine dining on the waterfront...The only fine dining restaurant on the water at the Lake of the Ozarks. Come by car or boat. See our website for our current menus.
“2 good meals, 1 not so good”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We just returned from driving our boat to "The Duck". Beautiful setting but definitely overpriced (most meals over $40). My beef for the Steak Diane was cooked perfectly, but that was brown gravy on it with mushrooms no less. In my book a Steak Diane has fresh shallots cooked in steak drippings to which lemon, fresh chives, and finally good sherry are added. My husband's steak Madeira was better, and my mother enjoyed her stuffed shrimp. I guess they get by with these prices because of the limited choices og fine restaurants at the lake (the same way the Blue Heron gets by) - they would not get by with it in Kansas City unless it was unique like The American.

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
I’m sorry our Steak Diane did not meet your expectations. We make it in what we believe is a traditional manner. The Chef makes his own demi-glace from veal bones, and we use ingredients as you specified for the most part, except we use brandy instead of sherry. Dijon mustard is key, as is heavy cream and yes, mushrooms. We found other recipes that were similar to ours. You didn’t mention cream, and in fact I found a recipe that did not use cream, and perhaps that is what you were expecting, and it would sure make a difference. Please come again and try one of our other dishes. We’re sure to have something that will please you! We also hope that you appreciated our all-concrete dock and wave breaks, put in and maintained by us at great expense so that our boating guests can comfortably visit by water. You’ll find no better on the lake.

Edwardsville, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just left the Duck. Terrific evening. Great atmosphere. Great food (sea bass and lobster ravioli). Great service. Our server, Jessie was terrific!

1 Thank Stephanie L
LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Thank you for mentioning Jessi. She’s in her third season with The Duck; she has a positive attitude, is truly friendly and wants to do a good job. Thanks too for mentioning your entrees. We’ve had great luck with the quality of the sea bass we get, and the Chef and he staff make the ravioli from scratch.
Nevada, Missouri
“Service was the Worst”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Several years ago we had a package deal at the Lake. My brother and his wife heard great reviews of The Duck. I had just had open heart surgery and it was a struggle to go from the parking area to the restaurant. I had order beef and it was with bake potato or some other starch and asparagus. I asked the waitress if could trade the potato for a another serving of asparagus. She rudely told me that it couldn't be done (I am a diabetic as well as a heart patient). If my brother was not with us I would have gotten up and left. Now, here is the ending...serving size was two pieces. That was in 2009 or 2010 can't remember...but we have been to the Lake numerous times and told numerous people this story...don't go.

• Visited September 2013
LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
It sounds like we had several misunderstandings, and when you come back we’ll try to do better. I’m not sure if your visit was in 2009, 2010, or 2013, but you must have had our Tournedos of Beef, which is 2 4-ounce portions of filet prepared in various ways depending up when you visited. While I believe most of our guests are familiar with the term “tournedos”, it would be clearer in our description if we simply stated that your portion will be 2 4-ounce filets. [It is a terrific dish, and the Certified Angus Beef brand we serve is wonderful.] Also, all of our entrees are served with a choice of either a starch or vegetable but not both. But we always allow guests to order an extra side for a modest charge, so that you could have ordered asparagus as your side and ordered an extra side of asparagus. I’m sure our server didn’t mean to be rude, but should have done a better listening job. We do have a number of stairs down to the restaurant from the parking lot, and when you come next time you can get a bit closer by coming down the drive to the left of the parking lot to the back of the building. It isn’t perfect, but will save you some steps. Let the hostess know when you make your reservation, and I’ll personally meet you in back to turn your car around and escort you to the front door.
St louis
“Poor service”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Food was excellent but service was poor and tables outside dark and could not see eating. Not sure it's worth the $.

LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
I’m sorry we left you in the dark. We keep the lights low during the summer because we’re right on the waterfront and while we spray for insects, they are still plentiful and we don’t want them in your hair…or in your food. You didn’t specify what the “poor service” was, but I’d guess that you were here on the first Saturday in August, which is the peak of our season when we are quite busy. Not an excuse, of course, but perhaps a reason. Feel free to contact me through our web site and elaborate on our service – we always want to improve. Now that the heat of summer is fading, come and see us again. We can have the lights on out on our lovely deck, and the summer crowds have faded and you’ll find life at The Duck much less harried than you may have encountered.
Kansas City, Mo United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Flagship”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Lake of the Ozarks is lucky to be blessed with so many terrific locally owned restaurants. There are eateries there that, if they opened a facility in Kansas City, people would willingly wait hours to be seated. Baxters, Hooks and JJs at the Copperpot are just some of the A team. But the pride of the fleet, the flagship, has to be The Duck.

The Duck is fine dining, but as with nearly everyplace at the Lake, guests are welcome wearing anything reasonable. The wine list is massive and can be served by the glass, the bottle or the half-bottle. The appetizer list is quite large, too. Normally, I don't order escargot anymore. Most restaurants could just as well advertise and roll out six or seven little balls of phlegm caked in velveeta and not be any worse off. But, The Duck? A completely different story. I eat at The Duck once a year and it's worth the wait just for their escargot. Awesome.

My date and I both had the Steak Dianne and it did not disappoint. The sauce was light and heated to perfection. The steak was so tender you could have cut it with a stern look. I cannot imagine it being prepared better at any restaurant in North America.

I could stand to be corrected, but The Duck appears to not be set up well for persons with disabilities. Stairways from the lake and from the parking lot would be fairly daunting for someone in a walker. Impossible for a wheelchair. But The Duck does everything else so well, I have a feeling they have an answer for this, I just didn't see it.

You want the best meal you'll have all year? Wind your way through the woods to The Duck. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited July 2014
LakeWineGuy, Owner at The Duck, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for putting us in such good company. We’ve just received our 11st consecutive award from Wine Spectator Magazine, the only restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks to be so honored. Our chefs work hard to get our food just right every time and the front of the house staff is experienced in taking care of guests. As you pointed out, because we are right down on the water and our terrain is hilly we do have some access issues. You also noted that maybe we have a plan for our stairs, and we do – see my response to the review from 7/14/14. It isn’t perfect, but we’ve found that we can accommodate most who visit. We look forward to your next visit!