“Spend your money somewhere else!”

and 1 more site!
Country Club Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Branson, MO
“Spend your money somewhere else!”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This place is a dump. I m sorry but there are no other words I can use to describe it. Take your hard earned money somewhere else. They painted a couple of walls in the halls in the last 2 years and they keep saying "we are remodeling" when in fact it s all a farce. There isn't any remodeling going on. Very dirty, neglected place. The property has SO MUCH potential but mgmt/ owners do not see it. Don't trust the pictures you see online. They were taken at least 10 years ago. The landscaping in sad, fountain does not work. Parking lot very poorly lit. The outdoor pool was bad. The indoor pool was horrendous. Chemicals were left out for very long period of time: I cannot believe how many employees saw this and did not correct the issue. The pool pump was broken. There was a hose in the pool with water running constantly. How do they pass health department inspections? We also were locked in the pool- no other emergency exit and the locking mechanism was stuck. Husband had to push /pry the doors open in order for us to get out. We did not eat at the "restaurant" bc I wouldn't trust the employees with the food. They spend way more time on the patio smoking then inside the building! They get paid to take smoking breaks! The whole place is just SAD! Dirty, old looking. The room: yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Old mattress and pillows. Sheets were think and dirty looking. The furniture hasn't been cleaned in decades. I m sorry but this place doesn't deserve even 1 star! Very sad. As I mentioned earlier, the property itself has great potential but it needs millions invested before you see me again. Dont stay there!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank anyutaaz2009
CountryClubManager, General Manager at Country Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
I appreciate you taking your valuable time to comment on your visit to the Country Club Hotel. As the General Manager I take all guest comments personal and I will say I am very discouraged by your account. When I took over as GM 2 years ago I took a great deal of time to identify those areas where improvements were called for. Once those areas were identified and prioritized my staff begun in early 2012 putting those plans into motion. I realize that this project may not be moving at a rapid pace but we make every attempt to complete the work in order to cause the least inconvenience to the fewest number of guests. With this said as I am sure you can appreciate, summer is the time of the year when only subtle improvements are underway. Since you stated that “a couple of walls in the halls were painted in the past 2 years” it would lead me to believe you have visited the Country Club in the past. It is unfortunate that many of the improvements that have been made were in “systems” of the hotel such as air conditioning, internet and other equipment type items that do not make a visual impact at this time but are necessary for the comfort and convenience of the guests. We do acknowledge that more improvements need to be made and those plans are in place. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectation. As a general rule, comments that have been made regarding the property being somewhat dated are also followed by stating the property is clean and the service is good.
Ron Schlicht

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Chatsworth
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This hotel has the best customer service I've had in a long time. Anything I needed or even thought I needed the staff came threw for us. If we wanted a tee time on a golf course, they booked it for us. Dinner on site was a great value and happy hour was even better. We were able to purchase a bottle of wine for a excellent price and bring it up to our room. The room is as much fun as you make it, we had a great balcony that allowed me and my husband to see Lake Ozark from a whole different perspective, They have really nice pools, indoor and the outdoor with a pool bar was up to our liking.We loved being away from the craziness of the lake-and when we wanted to go back to the craziness it was just a shuttle away. The hotel called a taxi for us when we needed it and the shuttle. Our trip was a great value, we were able to get to there spa since we got a spa package. Overall this was a great hotel. We will be back, and I'll probably make a girls weekend getaway with this hotel very soon.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony, the Junior Suite was nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your visit to the Country Club Hotel. The staff of the County Club works very hard to insure a positive experience for our guests. It is reviews like yours that motivates the staff to continue. With so many choices the traveler has for quality lodging in Lake of the Ozarks we are honored you selected the Country Club Hotel as your destination. We will look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The property looks nice from the outside. Front desk staff was nice, but was taking calls when I was standing there waiting to check in. We had a junior suite, which was a large room.

Issues...there was a sleeper sofa and a love seat, and 4 chairs-the room seemed to be missing a coffee table. Two chairs were at the bar, other two were in the middle of the room. We stopped at the room briefly to use the restroom, and although there was a knob set and lock on the door...there was NO LATCH. The door just rested against the frame. Would have created a problem in a room with more than 2 people.

The shower head was not operating properly-this was probably a minor plumbing adjustment that the housekeeping staff should have noticed.

Main issue is the bed. The mattress pad does not tuck around the corners of the mattress, it is just a flat pad. TOok us over an hour on this lumpy bed, including a call to the front desk to inquire if other rooms had better mattresses, before I ltook off the sheets and found and straightened out the pad. The pillows were ok, not great. Sheets were VERY thin. OK, so about 1:30am we finally get to sleep. Wake up and there was NO WATER. Called the front desk and they said it was a city water problem, but they had no idea when it would be fixed. Thankfully shortly after the phone call I heard the toilet fill up and the water came back on. Needless to say, we shortened our trip by one night and left that evening-sleeping in our own bed.

If the hotel would invest in mattress pads that had fitted corners, sheets that have a decent heft, and proper locks on the bathroom door, and proper maintenance on plumbing fixtures it would have gone up to 4 circles. Come to find out the hotel messed up how the rooms were charged (using the credit card meant to hold the rooms, and not the credit card we used to check in, and was on the check in documents). Elevators are also really slow. If we were not holding our luggage, would have taken the stairs.

Rooms did appear to be clean.

Room Tip: rooms have to be renovated first..
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mizzoumom001
Thank you for taking your time to tell us about your visit to the Country Club Hotel. I apologize that you did not have the most positive experience. In the effort to make the accommodations as versatile there are no coffee tables in any of the rooms to provide space for the fold out sofa sleeper without inconveniencing the guests but yet provide adequate seating. I do appreciate that you mentioned the maintenance issues, it is through guest feedback that we are able to identify short comings and take measures to improve. We are currently working on some upgrades in the hotel to include a more modern linen package, 32” televisions, fresh paint in hallways as well as hotel rooms and other room repairs as needed. I will bring the issue of the credit card to the appropriate department manager and provide additional training to Guest Service Representatives as needed.
Thank you again for your time.
Litchfield, Illinois
Reviewed 30 July 2012

A friend booked this hotel for a girls weekend. Now that I have looked at the pictures posted by travelers from 2007 it concerns me that the bedding is the same that was in our room. While they had done some painting in the hallway, there is much still to be done. We stayed in a junior suite which has a small refrigerator and "kitchen" sink but no microwave. Strange. Room was large enough but lay out was odd. TV was located in the center of the room so couldn't really be seen well from bed or couch. We didn't go to either pool, but they appeared clean and I was impressed with the size of the indoor pool especially. My friends had an issue with the air conditioner in their room so were quickly moved to another room where the AC had recently been updated. We got fresh fruit and strawberries with the room when we arrived and the room service cart was still there the next morning.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank notcarla
I appreciate that you took time to comment on your visit to the Country Club Hotel. As you noted we are currently working on an improvement program that has started with fresh paint in the hallways and we will be moving into the hotel rooms through the winter as our occupancy will allow. We are currently researching options to reposition the televisions however we are limited by the wiring and cable connections that were installed when the hotel was built. I am particularly concerned by the room service cart that was left in the hallway over night. I appreciate you pointing this out as this is not our standard operating procedure. All carts are to be removed from the hallways on a regular basis.
Cypress, California
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I did not book this hotel, my husband did but I might have not chosen it. After reading the other reviews I can see that they are working to make improvements. It seems like a hotel that has a lot of potential but just doesn't have the resources to spruce up. The room was fine but TV was not a flat screen and did not have good color. No internet or wireless that I could tell (guess I am used to business hotels). Maybe because it was so hot, the outdoor landscaping looked like it needed to be replaced--not fresh. Fence around the pool in serious need of repair but that appeared to be in process when we were there. Staff was great, needed some help with a couple things and they responded quickly. I did not see that you could get breakfast here, even though it was in the room service menu, did not seem that the restaurant (very small) offered it so we had to get breakfast each morning off property. For the price it was satisfactory I hope the property has an opportunity to get upgraded.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KKDM63
Thank you for taking your time to comment on your stay at the Country Club Hotel. We value all our guest comments and use them as a tool to improve our operation. While it will take some time, we are in the process of doing upgrades to the hotel rooms as it relates to televisions (32’ flat screens), fresh coat of paint, bed linen package and improvements to the common areas. Regarding your concern with the wireless internet, I was a bit surprised as in early 2011 we did a complete internet system upgrade in the entire hotel with a state of the art “open mesh” system that consisted of increasing from 6 to 20 internet routers in the hotel. Also, from the period of May 1 through Labor Day weekend, our lobby restaurant (Rafferty’s) is open every day except Monday at 7:00 a.m. for breakfast and serves lunch until 2:00 p.m. and then opens again at 4:00 p.m. for happy hour, appetizers and dinner. As you indicated, we do also offer room service for all 3 meals. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 19 July 2012

When we arrived, the hotel had just experience a power outage. They did not have our reservation in their system due to the power outage, but they were able to place us in a unit.
This is an older hotel that could use some upgrades. The hotel had a dirty feel to it.
The King Size Bed was really hard and uncomfortable to sleep on.
The AC unit stopped working around 2am, so between the hot room and the hard bed we did not get a very comfortable nights rest.
When we checked out and reported the AC unit stopped working in the middle of the night, the clerk did not appologize, but became very defensive and said, "Well we have maintenance on call 24/7.
Room Service took over an hour before we received out food.
We will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jmb2020
CountryClubManager, General Manager at Country Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
I would like to thank you for taking your time to comment on your stay at the Country Club Hotel. First of all I would like to apologize that we did not meet your expectations of service. While there are occasions when circumstances are totally out of our control such as the power outage, there is never an excuse for poor service. When it comes to “business as usual” the Country Club Hotel is usually recognized for providing very good service and cleanliness. I am particularly disturbed by the fact that you did not experience either of those on your recent visit. It is through travelers such as yourselves and with your reviews that we are able to identify areas where we need to improve.
Please feel free to contact me.

Travellers are raving about these Lake Ozark hotels

Kansas
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We came across this hotel on Groupon and decided to go there over July 4th. We have visited the Ozarks a few times so we were familiar with our surroundings and this hotel is hidden away from the lake but the drive in was pristine. The hotel as many of you have commented on is very out dated but clean. Check in was a little challenge the receptionist was busy. We brought our 4lb dog which is a $12 charge (cheaper than boarding her). Because we brought her with us we went from the 4th floor to the 1st floor so the dog can have better access to the outside. There's is a slight odor especially in the elevators. The room was spacious but run down. There was missing tiles near the floor, the outlet plate was broke, the ceiling in the bathroom had water damage and outside there were cigarette butts everywhere. These type of issues are not expensive to fix. Yes, the decor was out dated but the room was clean. The pull out sofa bed was so uncomfortable so you may want to opt for a cot. We took advantage of the massage which was good and the gym is so-so. There were lots of retirees there using the gym with thier personal trainers though. We didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on the food. The outdoor pool is average but I agree with other comments on here updates are over due, staff are friendly and again the rooms are clean.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Teresar71
, General Manager at Country Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
I appreciate your comments on your visit at the Country Club Hotel. If we hear from our guests we can then know what we are doing well and where we need to improve. We acknowledge that some upgrades are needed and some are already in motion. Since you were on the 1st floor I don’t know if you noticed the new paint on the other floors of the hotel. The 1st floor is being finished at this time. Once this process is completed we are moving into the individual hotel rooms with a comprehensive list of details that are being addressed such as the items you noted and provided photos of.
We at the Country Club do pride ourselves in always making an effort to provide outstanding customer service and as you noted, even though there is room for improvement, the facility is clean.
Thank you again for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Ozark
#2 of 13 in Lake Ozark
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 13 in Lake Ozark

Been to Country Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!