“No customer service!!!!!”

Country Club Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Lake Ozark
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Discovered our room had no remote for the TV which wouldn't have been an issue, but the TV channels could not be changed without it! Worst part was the young lady at the front desk who simply parroted over and over, "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do until maintenance arrives in the morning." It was 8:00pm and we were told there was nothing that could be done until morning. The young lady at the desk stated she was the only one here and she could not call anyone in. In a hotel this size, if that was the truth, that is downright scary.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Maria S

Reviewed 14 February 2014

This resort has condos and a hotel. I stayed in the hotel one night in February 2014. This is the second time I have stayed here, the last being at a conference several years ago.

Holy moly, the hotel hasn't been updated since the 1980s. The room was spacious, but the rug was threadbare and dirty. The bathroom was old, with a calcium clogged shower head, and dingy towels/washcloths. Bedding and décor was worn and old. An old CRT Zenith TV sat on a TV stand. Even the wooden valet for your suitcase was scraped and old.

On the upside, the three members of the hotel staff I saw (check-in, check-out and one security guard) were pleasant and courteous. There were apparently computer issues, as they had to switch back and forth between computers on both check-in and check-out. Rate was good for Feb in a summer resort town. AAA discount rate offered also.

This once was a thriving and popular convention spot. Maybe the individual condos are nice, but the hotel room I was in was about 20 years behind on upgrades.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dennis S
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Family trip for Tae Kwondo tournament. Positives:...Jr. suite was good size, enough for family w/ king bed & pull out sofa. Mostly quiet room. And had three sinks (inside bath, outside bath, and in kitchen area)
Negatives: everything else.
- Sheets were thin enough to see through. Didn't look visibly dirty, but the next morning I saw how the housekeeping staff was treating sheets in the hallway and lost all confidence that sheets were clean.
- Toilet was dirty - pink mold/mildew ring in bowl which comes from no scrubbing after 1-2 weeks. This doesn't happen if you skip scrubbing in a day, or two, or even five.
- Shower had mildew & hair. Possibly was rinsed out before we arrived, but definitely not cleaned with cleanser & disinfectant.
- Glasses in kitchen had fingerprints and lint in them. Absolutely not cleaned which makes it prone to passing disease and germs like tuberculosis, hepatitis and others.
- Faucets & shower head all had mineral deposits and mineral build up. Not unsanitary per se, no real harm here, but just general lack of maintenance and upkeep and a complete eyesore.
- Carpet was dirty, stained, and vacuumed poorly if at all.
- Breakfast was $10 for complete crap food. Based on how our room looked, I can only speculate as to what the kitchen looked like. I ran to Paul's (supermarket) for milk & cereal so I wouldn't have to eat there.
- Signage was poor/wrong. One sign said rooms 4000 - 4028 or the highest number. Yet after carrying all of our luggage down that hall, we realized the numbers started at roughly 4018. Instead of stating the correct room numbers, it stated the entire range for the floor, creating extra work for the guests after a long day of travel. Just sloppy.
- Overall - general disrepair. Wall corners damaged, paint spots & stains, door jams cracked/broken, bathroom hinges rusty. Again, none of these harmful per se, but I expected more from a place called "Country Club Hotel & Spa".

Last, we did not experience any real "service". My only experiences were checking in, and then trying to find milk the next morning. A young lady at the morning breakfast offered to let me buy some 2% milk! which I declined. I chose to head out to Paul's to get skim. So, this experience was pleasant and accommodating. But, the check-in process was weak, and the woman was pretty rude when we politely requested an upper floor. Either you can or you can't, but you don't need to question a guest about why they requested what they did.

I believe they can get away with this kind of product and service because they likely have close to full occupancy simply due to their location and perhaps being one of a few choices. But I would caution travelers to steer clear of this place if you can. This is the first review I've written but my experience was so poor, I needed to share my experience.

Room Tip: Find another place if you can. If not, be prepared to clean before you sleep and use the bathroom.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Ryan66224
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We had a confirmed reservation through Expedia. Showed up and told no room. They made us a reservation at another hotel. Showed up there-no room! Unbelievable. Very frustrating when traveling with kids! Not nice!

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank mcraefamily
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed Oct 18, 2013 - there for a conference. Booking was easy. First impression was amazing. Didn't last long unfortunately. Walked onto the 2nd floor and noted the hallway carpet looked like someone had vomited all up and down the hall - entered the room and was greeted by a smell as soon as we entered the room. My roommate opened the curtains and we immediately saw beige carpet that had more dirty spots than clean. Literally, filth! Went into the bathroom and noted dirt in the corners, peeling drywall with holes and caulking around the tub that had been done by an amateur. We were headed to a conference so didn't have much time so went to the restaurant to grab a quick supper. Other than being extremely slow (close to an hour), the food was good. Went to the conference and finished about 9:00; asked at the desk about the pool. Told they close when the spa closed - 9:00 on a Friday night! So sorry - try again at 6:00 a.m. We went to the pool area to see if it would be worth it - water was cold. The hot tub was "down for repairs" and looked like it had been down for a while; it looked like the kind of portable hot tub someone would have at home; Not what I would have expected at a high end hotel. Next morning, I did go and ask for the manager - was told I was speaking to the front desk manager. I mentioned that I travel for work several times a year and had never been to a hotel that would actually put guests in a room that had carpet that dirty. He said he would adjust my bill - Not what I was looking for; I wanted reassurance that this was not the norm. He said he would contact the housekeeping supervisor immediately. I waited about 15 minutes and then went to my room, 2022. There were about 5 housekeepers immediately across from my room through double doors that obviously had an outdoor entrance. They were having a good old time, sounded like a party, smoking outside. Didn't see anyone check the room. They were standing directly in the area of the hall that was so disgusting and appeared oblivious to the stains on the carpet! Also, shower - no hot water, lukewarm at best! So for a room that was over $100 which is definitely on the higher side for a hotel in this area - wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Has a beautiful view - that's about all I can say that is good - sorry.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 401eeg
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Watch your bills.... I reserved my room for a two night stay online a week in advance. When we arrived, I checked in and the amount on my bill was more than I had been quoted online. Luckily I had my receipt from my reservation. I showed it to the front desk and she quickly corrected it. After this our stay was without incident until we went to checkout. Terry was at the front desk when I checked out. She has NO customer service skills whatsoever. My bill was incorrect again! She did nothing to remedy the situation. Luckily, I had my receipt in hand again to prove the price I was quoted. I should have not had to due this once, but twice is totally unacceptable. Even after she read the note from the person who checked me in. She was rude and totally unprofessional. I was very disappointed. I left what should have been a relaxing weekend even more stressed because of the situation.
The property is run down but is suitable for the quoted price and the size of the room. I just should not have had to deal with upcharges. We will not be staying here again all because of the service received!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank skautry
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in a Jr. Suite and found it very spacious. The furniture was a bit outdated, but the bed and couch were comfortable and the rooms and fitness center were clean with the exception of a few stains on the carpet. I read some of the other reviews before I came and I think some of them are kind of harsh. This is a quiet setting and the price was reasonable. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
CountryClubManager, General Manager at Country Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Hello Brandy B

I would like to thank you for taking your time to tell us about your visit to the Country Club Hotel & Spa. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you were comfortable in your accomodations. With new ownership that came in the last week of August, we are looking forward to making some improvements that will address the couple of issues that you noted. We are certainly looking forward to hosting your again in the future at the Country Club Hotel & Spa.

Ron Schlicht

Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 12 in Lake Ozark
Southwood Shores Resort Condominiums

Been to Country Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!