“Mismanagement”

Country Club Hotel & Spa
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Lake Ozark
“Mismanagement”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Booked on Expedia same day. Show up, no reservation sent. So, credit card swiped and given room after we show confirmation. Park the car and get our bags. Go to room, it's being painted. Go back to the main desk with all our luggage, manager had to ask maintenance person which rooms being painted. Upgraded to Jr. suite. Room phone rings next morning asking who was in the room? Give last name. Why we aren't already in the system I have no idea. You did not sign registration. Yes we did. Well, credit card swiped last night not recognized. Why you wait 8 hours to tell me I have no clue. Get to the desk. Your Expedia conformation just came in. In laws book room here today with manager. Get here and then told they can't find reservation. Then given room key for room already occupied. When they go in, other people's luggage in the room. Told last night that tiki bar stays open til 1. Not told that was not every night. We return to the hotel to have a couple drinks to a closed bar. Totally unprofessional and incompetent.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Old Monroe, Missouri
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This place was terrible!... It all started before we even checked in. I reserved a 2 bedroom condo but received a call hours before check in and was advised condo was out of service, offered 2 jr suites. Keep in mind I am not a picky traveller and really wanted to love this place. The furniture in room was worn and stained. Bedding had multiple stains and filthy dirty. Luckily I had extra blanket in my car. They advertise balcony which is a TOTAL joke. I kid you not the balcony is about 6 inches wide, not even big enough to stand out on.

Went to happy hour, which book in room says starts at 3, but didn't start until 4. Tried to order appetizers but they were out of half of everything on the menu..... how embarrassing! When I tried to pay I was informed computer wasn't working.

Signage in hotel (trying to find fitness center) was a joke as well. Ran us around in circles through a bunch of dark and quite honestly scary rooms. Pool tables were shoved in the back of a dark room so we couldn't play pool.

To top everything off we went to take kids to dive in movie (which is also advsertised in book in room) but was informed the pool was shut down for private party. WHAT?!!!!! Are you kidding me? and why weren't we informed of this upon check in?

To make a bad stay even worse I sent the hotel manager an email outlining our terrible stay and asked to be contacted by someone from management but nobody ever contacted me. Just goes to show how much the DON'T care. Unbelievable!!!!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper this is not the place for you as you can hear people walking up and down...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tammy B

Travellers are raving about these Lake Ozark hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We have stayed here in the past and, even though we had an issue with out first stay, liked it enough that we said we would come back. So we booked another stay recently. We were pleased to see that it was under new ownership and they had a sign at the desk stating upgrades were happening as of May- we were there in July and I did not see ONE upgrade. In fact, I though that it looked more run down than the first time we stayed there. We found a VERY innapropriate sign and souvenier left by the previous users of the room we were given so we had to change rooms. In the second room, there was trash in the bathroom, a hole in the bathroom door and tile missing on the floor. We were supposed to stay for the weekend but ended up cancelling the rest of our stay and moving to another hotel for the rest of the weekend. Sorry to say you have lost us as a customer. We will go back to renting condos when we come to the Lake.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tunes0424
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was disappointed to see the fountains out front were not working and it made me a little skeptical about the property. However, once in our room I was a happy girl. Clean carpet, no stains. Comfy bed. Great view. Little kitchen area with fridge but no microwave. We had a flat screen TV which we were told we my or may not have one since that is an ongoing upgrade at this time. This place is huge, tons of pools on the property, even an indoor pool. Amazing gym! Sauna and hot tub. The bar was great and the bartender was friendly. I understand this place is under new ownership and they are working hard to upgrade the property. They are shorthanded and you can tell but nonetheless we understand this is a big task and commend them for their efforts. Did I mention how big this place is. Several ballrooms and meeting spaces! The potential is there, can't wait to go back and see what else has been done.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I come to this hotel every year on the third weekend of June for a special event with Bobby Layne & his Orchestra, sponsored by the Southern Rhapsody Dance Society. This is a very large facility with 4 stories of hotel suites, a large indoor pool, spa and sauna, a huge ballroom with hardwood dance floor, two large lobbies, a restaurant and bar. The hotel has a large outdoor pool, tennis courts, racket ball area. Within the area are "villa's" and condos which can be rented or are privately owned.

I agree with many of the previous reviewers which say that this hotel definitely needs a refresh. The décor is 1980's with shiny brass bathroom fixtures and door hardware. All of my pictures of room (#3016) show stains on the light tan carpet and living room furniture. The springs in the chairs were broken, so you sink way down into the chair when you sit. Definitely could use a good reupholsterer. Tiles in the bathtub surround have a black mold ~ needs a good scrubbing or replacement. Tiles are broken in the bathroom. Big mars and marks on the walls of the room ~ needs repainting and repair. So, I didn't bother to add my pictures. No need to add more pictures showing the same damage and deterioration as previous pictures.

The good news is that the facility has a new manager, so I can only hope that upkeep will happen. The small old fashioned TV in the bathroom has been removed. The old fashioned telephones (no, not rotary dial) should be replaced. The old TV sets should be upgraded to new flat screens. The old TV in this room requires 2 remote controls.~ 1 to turn on and volume control, the other to change the channels.

More good news is that this is still a beautiful venue with an amazing view of the mountains and the Lake. Lots of golf courses are near by, marinas are very close to this property, hiking trails are abundant, and nice local restaurants are plentiful. The wonderful staff has been retained by the new management. The staff is friendly and helpful. They do what they can to make the stay very pleasant. We had dinner banquets with each day of our 3 day dance festival. The food is delicious. The servers do their best to serve 200+ people as quickly as possible. They maintain their good humor while trying to keep us all happy with hot food, coffee service, refresh of water and ice tea. I appreciate the work that the staff does for us to make this annual dance party a success.

Room Tip: Use the big carts to move your luggage to your room and back to your car, because the rooms can be a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
CountryClubHotelSpa, Marketing at Country Club Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for your review. Many of your suggestions are happening already and we look forward to your next visit so you can witness some of those changes yourself. Some things that are happening: New flatscreen TVs in all of the rooms, painting, and we will begin changing out bedding and draperies in the not too distant future. New carpet is also on the horizon. Again, thank you for your honest review. We will see you soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had always wanted to stay at the Country Club and could not refuse when came across a deal. Later found out that it was a mistake but they honored to price. Love the hotel and definitely will stay there again. Planning a business meeting there now after our stay. Of course there are always things that need to be updated but I have that at home also. Loved the wrap around porch. Had a great time and will stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for the ones that end in 5. Wrap around porch
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This facility has great "bones" as they say in the hotel business in that the building itself was first class when built and remains so today. As any older hotel, maintenance and upkeep are constant, but it looked to me like they are working hard to keep this old girl looking pretty. I would rate a number of the staff as "busting their butts" and the Junior Suites they have for people who travel with pets are outstanding. They do not rape pet travelors with deposits or fees that are crazy. On site food was reasonable, pools are great and location is wonderful now that Lake Ozark traffic issues are fixed because of the new by-pass.

Room Tip: Ask about yard for dog or view for fireworks if those things are important to you.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lodge of  Four Seasons
Lodge of Four Seasons
#2 of 13 in Lake Ozark
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,030 reviews

Been to Country Club Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!