“What a wonder! ”
Review of Onondaga Cave

Onondaga Cave
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Leasburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Descend into the depths of Onondaga Cave State Park and drop into a world of wonder: towering stalagmites, dripping stalactites, and active flowstones help make the cave a National Natural Landmark and illustrate why Missouri is often called “The Cave State.” Visitors can take guided tours into the underground wonderland. Open for tours seasonally.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I don’t need to say much, just look at the pictures. It is seriously mind blowing!

Besides being a wonder of nature, the staff makes it even better, we had an engaged knowledgeable guide, Keegan (not sure about the spelling) that exposed every single detail throughout the tour.

Prior to coming, we missed the part where the cave was 57 F year round and didn’t bring sweaters (it was 95 F outside). We got a couple at the gift shop and they were pricey, so make sure you bring your own.

I also must mention that the paths and handrails make it pretty easy to get around if you have no mobility issues. If you do, I’d skip this attraction since there are a lot of stairs and ramps.

2  Thank MPaolucci
"year round"
"well worth the stop"
"minute tour"
in 2 reviews
"great place to take the kids"
"white nose syndrome"
"picnic lunch"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We found out about this place from a cavern map at our hotel in Sullivan. We bought the combination ticket for both Cathedral and the main Onondaga cave. We did the 10:00 am Cathedral tour, and only one other couple showed in addition to our guide. The tour requires a slow, unassisted third of a mile hike through the woods on a natural path in addition to the actual cave walk on some very slick, dark, steep paths lit only by the Maglites they loan for the walk. If you can’t walk that far, can’t tolerate heat or outdoor allergens, or don’t like potentially accidentally touching salamanders, I would NOT recommend this cave. The hubs and I are middle-aged couch potatoes and it was hard, but we did it. It was the highlight of our 3-cave weekend.
Onondaga Cave was similar to most commercial caves we’ve toured. Large tour groups, some pretty lovely natural features. We missed out on the lily pad room because after the demands of Cathedral we just couldn’t do the climb to get up and back on the second tour, especially knowing we needed to save energy for Meramec, as well. They had a “touch table” in the waiting room for curious folks who wanted to feel what different cave features feel like, as well as a little intro film. It was really well done; family friendly with a lovely campground, really friendly, patient guides. The day was so pleasant and we got a chance to push ourselves in a safe environment.

2  Thank A1derbean
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our friends had never been in a cave. We stopped on our way back from Branson. Our tour guide Truman was great. There are no steps but there are some very steep ramps. Make sure you wear proper shoes. It can be slick. The cost is much more reasonable than Meramec Caverns and not as commercial. I recommend that you visit Onondaga!

1  Thank reindeerlvr
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

This was our first trip to Onondaga Cave State Park, and we had a great visit. We camped Friday to Sunday. It rained but that didn't keep us from having an excellent time. The cave was the highlight of our trip. Mitchell was an excellent informative guide. The cave was breathtaking. The campground was very nice as well. We are looking so forward to our next visit, hopefully with less rain lol. Then we will be able to enjoy many of the walking trails.

ocsp7556, Manager at Onondaga Cave, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

We are elated that your first trip to our park was exciting despite the unpleasant weather! Thank you for the kind words about the park, the cave and the tour guide. We are truly glad you enjoyed your stay with Missouri State Parks.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 November 2017

Had to make a comment about this once in a life time adventure I experienced many years ago. I have never forgot my trip to New Mexico with my family when I was a young girl. Along the way while travelling thru Missouri we noticed these signs, quite funny but cannot remember what was said...signs, many signs about visiting the cave. Piqued my Dad's interest cause we went and we saw the most unbelievable creation that God made! I am sure it has changed a lot,, but I have never forget the experience from so many years ago. I know it is just as magnificent and hope any one travelling in area will stop and visit. I visited this cave in 1966.

1  Thank rose4094